New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am wondering why....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It appears to me that on this forum there is some of the biggest names in the business both agent wise and outfitter from Zim and SA and indeed the world. I want to ask a genuine question here. Why is that Martin Pieters is pretty much the only Zim PH and outfitter that is trying to do something about all the illegal hunting activity in Zim.(I stand corrected if anyone else is doing there bit but i have not seen it) Granted a few people have put there 5c here and there. Some guys have even had to go under aliases to post as they are worried if they post under there real name the "suits" will come knocking in Zim.(Zimpatriot) There are guys on here that are big names in the Zim industry for example (no names mentioned) that as far as i can see only ever want to try and sweep these stories under the table time and time again and try and protect and stand up for people that we (Zimbos) know are up too no good. I am sorry but a lot of these guys are just raping Zimbabwe and the rate it is being done at scares the shit out of me and as many of my previous posts will show makes me angry as hell. Surely with all the Big names that i see posting here week in and week out something can be done? Form an association of Zim and SA operators and PH's...something i dont know the answer. I keep seeing posts saying things like we are all on the same team etc.surely then we have a pretty strong team here then....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimguide:
It appears to me that on this forum there is some of the biggest names in the business both agent wise and outfitter from Zim and SA and indeed the world. I want to ask a genuine question here. Why is that Martin Pieters is pretty much the only Zim PH and outfitter that is trying to do something about all the illegal hunting activity in Zim.(I stand corrected if anyone else is doing there bit but i have not seen it) Granted a few people have put there 5c here and there. Some guys have even had to go under aliases to post as they are worried if they post under there real name the "suits" will come knocking in Zim.(Zimpatriot) There are guys on here that are big names in the Zim industry for example (no names mentioned) that as far as i can see only ever want to try and sweep these stories under the table time and time again and try and protect and stand up for people that we (Zimbos) know are up too no good. I am sorry but a lot of these guys are just raping Zimbabwe and the rate it is being done at scares the shit out of me and as many of my previous posts will show makes me angry as hell. Surely with all the Big names that i see posting here week in and week out something can be done? Form an association of Zim and SA operators and PH's...something i dont know the answer. I keep seeing posts saying things like we are all on the same team etc.surely then we have a pretty strong team here then....

Zimguide - Trust me my friend, there are numerous folks working on the problems you refer to.

You as much as anyone should know however, Zim isn't the U.S. of A. People in Zim need to be careful what they say, who they say it to, and who they say it about. There's alot at stake for some folks, and they can only stick their necks out so far!

I feel your pain, and I understand your frustration, I really do. But know that more people are active in the problem, than you likely realize.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's all about diplomacy Zimguide. The battle weapon for your salient and pressing issue, is NOT a public Internet forum. I'm a strong believer in forming coalitions and alliances, but you might want to employ a few other strategies than trying to rally the troops via a sign-up sheet on the Internet. Yours in the fight. Send me a PM if need be.

Regards

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
donttroll

I find myself growing progressively tired of Zimguides immature and naive postings. Grow up! Get a grip on reality and stop with the whining rants about the status of hunting in Zim and the constant finger-pointing. While you are correct in your concerns, your presentation is blatently over the top given the current political reality in Zim. You are not, admittedly, involved in the hunting industry and I begin to wonder if you have an alternative agenda?

My friends Aaron and Marc have been more diplomatic in their replies than I, but read between the lines and please try to understand what they are saying to you. But I think you simply don't get it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Zimguide, as chairman of ZPHGA, I have a job to do, not envious I assure you as you and others have mentioned, I seem to ' expose myself' to many attacks from various individuals both publicly and via PM, email and anonymous calls. I do believe in Zimbabwe and what we stand for, I do believe in our wildlife policies, I do believe in he efforts of operators both old and new, all we have to do is stick together, battle on, keep our activities clean and believe in our heritage, believe in keeping something for our children, I for one am not afraid to say it as it is Buzz, Pete, John , Ross , yourself and many others feel the same way.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Zimguide is a genuine person with genuine concerns. He sees the carnage daily. Cut him some slack. I for one am glad he posts here. He has given me the heads up on several issues that have panned out to be true in the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I know from personal experience how difficult it can be in a "3rd world" environment with multiple political groups trying to influence the situation. I also have the expereince of having worked in "Tribal" environments which can be even more frustrating. (Try sitting in a village meeting where clan feudes underpin local politics - and half the group cannot read or write.)

My question to Martin is - why can Zim not have a single over arching body to link between parks, game, hunting, guns & PH licencing? Ok, I'll put it another way - why cannot the hunting & outfitting industry establish such an umbrella? Yes, I know that not everyone is a member of ZPHGA. But you could have the over all control at the level of PH licencing and thus control rogues.

The same questions to the SA hunting community. Is it not in your long term interest to control the rhino poaching & illegal hunting in Zim and effectively manage your industry. Yes, I know that in SA you have multiple authorities who issue PH licenses.

The key to effective control is to be able to remove any shroud of legitimacy that covers the rogues & cancel the PH licences. This will force them into open criminal activity and make it more difficult for them to operate.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
donttroll

I find myself growing progressively tired of Zimguides immature and naive postings. Grow up! Get a grip on reality and stop with the whining rants about the status of hunting in Zim and the constant finger-pointing. While you are correct in your concerns, your presentation is blatently over the top given the current political reality in Zim. You are not, admittedly, involved in the hunting industry and I begin to wonder if you have an alternative agenda?

My friends Aaron and Marc have been more diplomatic in their replies than I, but read between the lines and please try to understand what they are saying to you. But I think you simply don't get it.

Mike, Its very simple...if you don't like what i write...DON'T READ IT!! I am a fourth generation Zimbabwean and till you have seen a country that you have lived your whole life in and love being raped before your eyes DAILY then you know NOTHING of what i feel and what i write. To say that you wonder if i have another agenda..well i will get myself in trouble again if i reply the way i want to that comment. I understand full well that the political climate in Zim as i have been targeted by it before more than once?Do you know how that feels sir? I doubt it. Maybe i just care enough that i will try ANYTHING to stop this.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
When you mean "raped country" are you referring to the killing of some elephants in a reserve that a lot of experts feel is way over populated?
From my understanding Botswana is to reduce or stop Ele hunting so there are more Elephant for tourist to see, even if again "some" feel the place is over populated with the specie and is highly detrimental to the natural environment.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything wrong at all in "finger pointing" at the outfitters, their agents and their clients who are doing the wrong thing in Zimbabwe.

Indeed I think it is a very good thing to expose these people.

Of course those being exposed will whine and start trying to insult those "finger pointing". Anything to shift the attention from themselves.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
PS and "finger pointing" may well have real results on the internet.

For example, if a client's trophies are tied up and can't enter the USA because they hunted illegally or on occupied land etc.

And of course if charges in the USA result as well.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
When you mean "raped country" are you referring to the killing of some elephants in a reserve that a lot of experts feel is way over populated?
From my understanding Botswana is to reduce or stop Ele hunting so there are more Elephant for tourist to see, even if again "some" feel the place is over populated with the specie and is highly detrimental to the natural environment.

When i say raped i refer to areas where in the past one lion has been shot on quota and now up to seven are being shot and i as a photographic guide see a lion that is barely three years old with no mane mating the entire pride including his mother and sisters, aunts etc as there is no dominant male in the area. I say raped when people are caught in Zambezi national park with a Sable in the cruiser and they say they shot it in Matetsi. I say raped when you can go to an area like the Gwaai and you will be lucky to see a tree squirrel now where game used to flourish. And yes if an elephant is shot in a national park then yes this amounts to rape of the country.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
i as a photographic guide see a lion that is barely three years old with no mane mating the entire pride including his mother and sisters, aunts etc as there is no dominant male in the area.

Sounds like there's too many lioness and they need a lioness quota....... Wink

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I say raped when you can go to an area like the Gwaai and you will be lucky to see a tree squirrel now where game used to flourish.

Out of curiosity (maybe some ignorance) but real interest:

Let me say first off that what guys like OOAA apparently did in the Gwaai was despicable. (I have no firsthand knowledge and that is why I use the term "apparently")

But was the Gwaai not also raped when your fellow countrymen invaded farms and took over lodges? And instead of running (or at least trying to run) these lodges as businesses burning half of them down, having others occupied by families with their few chickens, goats and livestock and let the others stand empty in a state of disrepair? Did the largest percentage of animals not die in poachers' snares or because no water was pumped into waterholes by the new inhabitants of these farms? And should at least part of the blame not be laid at the door of your government and their policies?

You are asking over here why more people do not stand up against the illegal activities and the rape of your country but it is YOUR park officials that are issuing permits to have animals hunted in your parks... and it is YOUR Wildlife Authorities that seems to be doing nothing about it. Isn't this where the clean-up should start?

Please do not see my post as a personal attack on you or your countrymen. I understand that you have the best interest of your country and wildlife at heart.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i as a photographic guide see a lion that is barely three years old with no mane mating the entire pride including his mother and sisters, aunts etc as there is no dominant male in the area.

I would regard him as one lucky lion getting his oats at such a tender age - bit of an incestuous bugger but what the heck Big Grin
Having no mane does not necessarily mean his offspring will be mane-less......just depends whether his old man had one or not.
Damn! those Burkina lion are either all under 5yrs or they just don't grow manes Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
quote:

Brett

Cause too many males were shot....... Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
quote:

Brett

Sort of thing I did when I was young but not with my mother.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I am not on the ground there in Zim, I can only form my opinions from the articles I have read. I believe there is a much more severe problem that is causing the "raping" of Zim. It is the takeovers of the farms and areas for redistribution. From what I have read the places taken over have gone to s**t and are no longer producing crops to feed the people of Zim. Which causes more of the people to go into areas to poach the animals to feed thier families and of course to take animal parts to sell. Zim has a lot of problems to over come but I do not see that happening anytime soon as the people in power are there to line thier own pockets and are in office to just get what they can for themselves and do not give a damn about the people or the country.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a great shame that like minded people on this forum have to end up arguing between each other on the subject of Zim wildlife.
The situation, whilst complicated to analyse and rectify under current conditions is really very simple.
While there is a corrupt government in power things will never improve.
I can understand people like Zimguide who direct their frustration at some who take advantage of the lack of governmental control, but I'm sure that he knows only too well where the real problem lies.
All of the neccessary wildlife rules and regulations are already in place, but fewer and fewer officials choose to enforce them.
The "if he can do it then I may as well do the same" mentality just runs amok.
The genuine people in Zim who are trying their best to improve things behind the scenes are only too aware that they are working against the interests of corrupt officials and are liable for that "knock at the door"either physical or implied in relation to their business.
When any of us sit at our cosy computers thousands of miles away playing arm chair moralistic games we would do well to bear this in mind.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
quote:

Brett

That's exactly right! Zimguide is obviously referring to Nyakasanga, where they actually shot "8" lions in 2011. From an area that only a couple of years ago had "1" lion on quota!

Like me last year, with the baby lion shot in Zambia. Perhaps his frustration is over-shadowing his point, but his point still remains as FACT.

Zimguide, I for one am with ya my friend - I really am. Just remember, others are trying too! But your country's policies, and those truly in power, make it a long, uphill battle.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
It is a great shame that like minded people on this forum have to end up arguing between each other on the subject of Zim wildlife.
The situation, whilst complicated to analyse and rectify under current conditions is really very simple.
While there is a corrupt government in power things will never improve.
I can understand people like Zimguide who direct their frustration at some who take advantage of the lack of governmental control, but I'm sure that he knows only too well where the real problem lies.
All of the neccessary wildlife rules and regulations are already in place, but fewer and fewer officials choose to enforce them.
The "if he can do it then I may as well do the same" mentality just runs amok.
The genuine people in Zim who are trying their best to improve things behind the scenes are only too aware that they are working against the interests of corrupt officials and are liable for that "knock at the door"either physical or implied in relation to their business.
When any of us sit at our cosy computers thousands of miles away playing arm chair moralistic games we would do well to bear this in mind.

What he said! tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimguide, I for one am with ya my friend - I really am. Just remember, others are trying too! But your country's policies, and those truly in power, make it a long, uphill battle.[/QUOTE]

thanks mate beer

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
ZG,
There are lots of folks trying to help. Hang in there and never ever give up. Keep fighting and eventually it come right!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote