Find
Notify
Tools

Kids in Africa??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Off subject alert!

When I'm scheduled to go to Africa next (too far in the future!), my son will be 3.5 years old. Before my hunting starts, it would be a blast to travel a bit in Africa with him and his Mum. But,,, is that too young?? His Mum worries about Malaria and other illnesses (as do I, I suppose), plus there are snakes, spiders and other creepy crawleys... Besides, is a kid at 3.5 old enough to enjoy the fantastic sights, or is it all just as much wonder as a walk in the forest at home would be??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
mho,
My kids were all born in Africa (Djibouti) and lived 4 years in Djibouti then 3 years in Madagascar. Both places have malaria and we of course took the standard precautions. We took them everywhere once they were old enough to not be a travelling burden for us. 3 and half is still probably a little young for anyone to derive a lot of pleasure from riding too much on a bumpy road to look perhaps at animals better seen through binoculars which they can't handle easily. There is more to see in Africa than animals of course but I would say wait three years for them to get a real benefit and perhaps remember it later.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jut one question - what do you remember from when you were 3.5 yrs aged?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I caught my first snake at that age. As well as numerous jars of pollywogs, pockets full of toads and earthworms.

It was also the first time I recognized a road kill as a once living being and realized living things died. Bothersome thought to a little kid.

I captured many more snakes and frogs that year (1966). I even remember my first safari. A cranky neighbor chasing me out of his yard when I was stalking a particularly ferocious garter snake.

Some people just don't appreciate hunting DBG! Razzer

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this with me guys. I guess Stefan's (my son) Dad might have got a bit carried away Roll Eyes. It is probably best to wait a couple of years - more appreciation and enjoyment on all sides.

Ann, you always seem to have been a pretty independent soul. I'll tell you what, though, I'll be right behind you when catching snakes... Eeker Big Grin

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Travelling with a 3.5 yo child has been done but the flights can be hell -the six hour trip from Helsinki to Lanzarote seemed like an eternity. My advice is to wait a few years and give him a memory he can appreciate plus you and your wife get to spend some quality time together (grandparents=babysitters).

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I two years ago I brought my wife and two daughters to South Africa where we hunted and toured for 3 weeks. At the time my girls were 3 and 6. They both loved it and talk about it all the time.

The flights were not that bad as the little buggers actually have room to stretch out and sleep or watch cartoons or whatever.. Maybe I just have great kids but it just wasn't that big of a deal.

I would not however bring them to tsetse fly country as I'm sure they'd be miserable being bitten all the time and I'd be very carefull in malarial areas.

12 hours into the flight Atlanta to JNB. My 3 year old..

My 6 year old

Two days later at Pangola in the Natal..Everything is ops normal happy kids etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My twins are 9 and I've already told them that 12 is the youngest I'd feel comfortable with. Every parent is going to be different, but that is my .02

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote