New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probably a dumb question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Unexpectedly, I have decided to return to Africa this summer. It was not planned, but I am excited about (a whole other topic).

I have a question. Have any of you had any issues taking a drone into Africa? Specifically RSA? I am going at the end of July and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check for the legalities of taking a drone into SA.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None at all. I routinely travel with a Mavic Pro in my carry-on with a spare battery. No questions and no strange looks by TSA.

Remember, you do not have a bag inspection on entry in Johannesburg beyond the impromptu inspections by the bag thieves. And security leaving is not an issue other than knowing where to enter security. In short, do not go through the security check point immediately behind international check in. Check your bags then do a 180 and turn left and walk about 100 yards and enter the other security check point. Will probably save you 45 minutes or so...

Also, it is a very good idea to use a meet and greet when entering Johannesburg. Again, will save you a lot of time.

One other tidbit - Make sure all your electronic devices are charged when leaving Johannesburg. I have witnessed two folks lose their laptops because they were not charged and they did not have their charging cord to turn on their computers.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Same. I have made a few flights with my mavic pro now in my carry on. They have yet wanted to open my bag to look at it.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your comments. And, thanks to the Moderator for moving this thread over to this forum!

Looking forward to trying out a drone. I think that I will purchase a Phantom- probably a Phantom 3.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Get a Phantom 4..

It is much better than the 3 or 3 Pro.

I promise you will enjoy it so much more, and the quality is fantastic.

I just got one Phantom 4 Pro Plus and one MAVIC PRO.

The Phantom 4 Pro Plus has a display built onto the remote - making it much easier than trying to use an ipad if you are moving around a lot.

The MAVIC is such a great drone. Very small, collapsible, and the quality is great.

I am taking this on a trip we are planning to the Northern part of Canada up in the mountains.

Not sure how it will work in freezing temperatures.

The Phantom 4 I used in Sweden last year had to warm up after starting, before it can be flown.

And buy a fast microSD card if you wish to take 4K video - which is the way to go anyway.

With 4K video, you can extract single frames which are very clear.

The way to do this play the video with VLC media player, which is a free download on the Internet.

When you coem to frames where you wish to save some as photos, just hit the E on the keyboard.

It will stop the action, and each time you hit the E it will go forward one frame.

I use the same technique to get photos from the underwater videos I take while diving or snorkeling.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The meet and greet is a good idea and not very expensive.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, great advice- Again...

I will look at the Phantom 4 Saeed. Another AR member PM-ed me and told me to look at the Mavic as well. I will do this!

This Drone Phenomenon is interesting. I teach some tech class at a local Tech College. We recently started an Automated Manufacturing course. As part of our curriculum, one of the classes will be Drone Technology. They are bringing in a guy that trains, does mapping, and works with drones. He does this for a living. So therefore, I will have some great training and experience before I head to Africa.

Also, I had a customer ask if my company did any drone mapping. Unfortunately, I had to say know. However, this is something additional I will probably end up doing (I know I am a little off topic).

Case in point- I need to buy a good quality drone. There are a lot of opportunities to use one and these opportunities will only increase.

Thanks again!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:

Equally importantly, check the legalities in that particular province of using an air born device to seek game when hunting

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:

Equally importantly, check the legalities in that particular province of using an air born device to seek game when hunting

Steve,

I think many of us - certainly us - never use the drone to look for animals to hunt.

It is purely used as a photographic tool, and for that it is a fantastic new tool.

Jason,

If you can afford it, and you have teh space, the Phantom 4 Pro is better than the MAVIC.

I have both, like them both, but the Phantom is a better drone.

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

The drone is for photography, no interest on hunting with won.

Saeed:

Good to know and thank you for offering a great site. Surely the best I have seen.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Moose in the snow

I left one of our drones for a friend in Sweden, and he sent me this footage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately SA just passed a law that is stricter than USA including 400 ft height but also a "license" to fly it. I took one with (phantom) but found I could not use it much. Hate to be discouraging but you need to be aware. I used mine elsewhere but found animals were quite wary. Surprisingly birds were quite tolerant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe drones are a non no in Zim now!
Was there in November and they made a rule prohibiting bringing them in.
Be careful.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the Mavic is once folded without props it looks like a handheld video camera.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Zimbabwe their use is prohibited, not that there has been much enforcement, but there will be, in the Parks & Wildlife estate so check the laws carefully.