THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    19.78 Rand to the dollar today........how much more?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

19.78 Rand to the dollar today........how much more?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love SA but what is happening with the Rand reaching such a low point against the US dollar? I remember when it was 6 to 1 about 16 years ago. Is this the bottom or is a collapse on the horizon? I know most hunts are priced in US $'s but the effect will still filter down to make a visit cheaper. We don't really need electricity to go hunting but I can't say that about the rest of the tourist industry.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South Africa is steadily but surely going down the proverbial rabbit hole. My wife and I are both SA citizens and lived in South Africa until late last year when an opportunity to move to Australia came up. Both of our parents and other family are still over there.

My mother lives in a very decent housing estate in Pretoria and she doesn't have electricity for up to 8 hours a day. Just recently, they didn't have any water supply for six (yes, 6) days. Corruption in the government is so common that it has virtually become a way of life for many. Crime is out of control. The cost of living is out of control. The country's infrastructure is collapsing. Driving around on the highways at night in some areas is a very dangerous thing to do, either from people throwing rocks at you or placing obstacles in the road to get you to stop your car so that they can rob you. I can go on and on.

There's no reason why the rand would strengthen against anything but the Zimbabwean dollar. We are going back to tie up a few loose ends in July, and for me to fit in a quick hunt with friends. Our friends and family are all telling us that we won't believe how much things have deteriorated in just under a year.

There are people who are positive about the way things are headed in South Africa, and I take my hat off to them. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Most of the people my age that I speak to who are still in South Africa are increasingly desperate to get out of the country. Especially those with children.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:
South Africa is steadily but surely going down the proverbial rabbit hole. My wife and I are both SA citizens and lived in South Africa until late last year when an opportunity to move to Australia came up. Both of our parents and other family are still over there.

My mother lives in a very decent housing estate in Pretoria and she doesn't have electricity for up to 8 hours a day. Just recently, they didn't have any water supply for six (yes, 6) days. Corruption in the government is so common that it has virtually become a way of life for many. Crime is out of control. The cost of living is out of control. The country's infrastructure is collapsing. Driving around on the highways at night in some areas is a very dangerous thing to do, either from people throwing rocks at you or placing obstacles in the road to get you to stop your car so that they can rob you. I can go on and on.

There's no reason why the rand would strengthen against anything but the Zimbabwean dollar. We are going back to tie up a few loose ends in July, and for me to fit in a quick hunt with friends. Our friends and family are all telling us that we won't believe how much things have deteriorated in just under a year.

There are people who are positive about the way things are headed in South Africa, and I take my hat off to them. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Most of the people my age that I speak to who are still in South Africa are increasingly desperate to get out of the country. Especially those with children.

Sadly, what we hear about the deterioration is true.

And it is getting worse.

South Africans living and working here always come back very sad after being there.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68643 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there recently and power cuts went from 2 hrs a day to 12 hs a day in 10 days! This does effect every facet of life including hunting operators. We went to a restaurant, they could not make the half the things on the menu because no oven could be used! Your cold rooms that store the shot game need electricity.

Generators are used but are expensive to run, so costs will probably increase not go down!

Winter is on its way, no power means no heating, expect cold nights!

And all the other things others have mentioned as well.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To stay warm in winter they will burn everything, wood, trash, plastic,tires.
Wonderful for the air pollution

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Such a shame. I can remember a time when Rhodesia and South Africa were the breadbaskets of the entire region, their economies were booming, they were rich in natural resources, and both countries were wealthy with stable currencies. Ah well. Back to the stone age.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Updated to today's exchange rate (5/25/23). I believe the weakening of the rand is largely due to the lack of dependable electricity. This by itself can throw the entire economy into recession. I'm in California (for now) and it is full speed ahead with the Green New Deal and facts/reality don't matter. Eventually we will be joining our South African friends sitting in the dark.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The general secretary of the ANC, in an interview with the BBC a few days ago actually stated outright that RSA is on the verge of becoming a failed state mainly due to the power cuts, as much as 16 hours/day…. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
The general secretary of the ANC, in an interview with the BBC a few days ago actually stated outright that RSA is on the verge of becoming a failed state mainly due to the power cuts, as much as 16 hours/day…. coffee

Total incompetence.

With the resources South Africa has?

Those idiots couldn't arrange a fuckup in a whorehouse!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68643 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

With the resources South Africa has?

Those idiots couldn't arrange a fuckup in a whorehouse!

This sums it up.
Except when it comes to stealing.
Our government are world class when it comes to stealing. Not many come close. Even Putin could take some lessons from our lot.

JCHB

Posts: 421 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my safari operator told me 2 weeks ago that even with the power cuts daily he was spending over 1000.00 dollars per month for electric. so he just spent $75,000 US dollars for a solar set up to run his operation

Posts: 203 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote