New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC Hotels 2013
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you coming to DSC next January, hopefully to book your next safari, be aware that the Cotton Bowl will be played on Friday January 4, 2013 and hotel rooms might get scarce. DSC currently has a room "block" of about 1100 rooms, at the usual hotels including the new Omni Hotel connected to the Convention Center. Overall our room block is filling quickly with the rooms blocked at the Omni being 60% booked. Just thought I would bring this to everyone's attention so you might think about booking early.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2814 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Karl:

I got mine at the Omni. I've enjoyed the Magnolia in the past, but the covered walk to the convention is better for the ladies in my life.

Can't wait!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
We're in there 458, the minute they opened up the reservations. Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Judge G,
I there anyone who has arranged rooms and the conf room at our normal hotel?
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Omni is NICE, and the remodel of the Convention Center is complete (at least in the area from the hotel to the convention center) and it looks really good. We (DSC) have rented the entire convention center for next year, slightly over 1,000,000 square feet of space, so we will be expanding the Quail Coalition and ACGG areas quite a bit...

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2814 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Booked the OMNI for Sadie and I. It is a little more expensive but it could not be more convenient. Nice rooms and good service. 5 minutes from room to convention center without going outdoors. Hard to beat that. They do need to consider opening the sports bar for breakfast as the wait is far too long at the other restaurant and the deli.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Mark you can write it off on your taxes so that makes it a bit cheaper than the rest of us.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Daughter and I are booked for the new Omni. Looking forward to the Convention as I missed it this year as I attended SCI in Vegas instead.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
popcorn

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stayed at the Aloft this year, was not happy with them.
Booked at the Omni for 2013.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the Cotton Bowl is really much of an issue. The Cotton Bowl has been played on the Friday night of the DSC for the past two years. Two years ago, LSU played Texas A&M and last year Arkansas played Kansas State. LSU, A&M and Arkansas all brought in a lot of fans. However relative to a normal business travel day, it is not that excessive. We booked our rooms relatively late, within a couple weeks of the show, and did not have problems either year. We stayed at decent places, the Westin Galleria two years ago and the Renaissance last year.

It is usually a good idea to book your rooms early, especially if you have a specific hotel in mind. However, I wouldn't be in rush because of the Cotton Bowl.

quote:
Originally posted by bigguy458:
For those of you coming to DSC next January, hopefully to book your next safari, be aware that the Cotton Bowl will be played on Friday January 4, 2013 and hotel rooms might get scarce. DSC currently has a room "block" of about 1100 rooms, at the usual hotels including the new Omni Hotel connected to the Convention Center. Overall our room block is filling quickly with the rooms blocked at the Omni being 60% booked. Just thought I would bring this to everyone's attention so you might think about booking early.

Karl

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Omni last year and its very nice. Mark points out the only deficiency -- restaurants. Very few in the complex and its on the edge of downtown, so you really can't walk anywhere. I think I'll stay at the Adolphus next year, as I have in the past.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max and all others, I just booked in the Comfort Inn and did it thru Hotel Planner and at single rate of &69+tax. I did not book at the Inn and have not made arrangements for a room for sat nite. Others have taken over for the Fri nite dinner and if anyone wants to take care of a Sat nite party please go for it. I am flying in Thur and out Sun morn so I won't be doing any planning this year.

I would attend any Fri dinner when the sign list is posted I will sign up and if there is a sat party I will stop by and help financially.

I think Frank Beller will be making a post about this matter himself.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, Joyce & I booked our rooms at the Comfort Inn through HotelPlanner & got a better rate than calling the Comfort Inn. Anyone wanting to do this can do so by Googling the Comfort Inn & Suites on Stemmons Drive, and that will direct you to the HotelPlanner website. A limited number of rooms are available for a rate of less than $75./night including taxes.
Also, since we haven't blocked out a number of rooms directly at the Comfort Inn, we may not have access to a free room for a Saturday night party. If we want to continue this Saturday night get-together, we will need to address this.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank:

How far is the convention center from the Comfort Inn on Stemmons Blvd. I believe I stayed there two years ago but heard the DSC moved to a new location.

Thanks, bob

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about the price of the rooms, everyone knows it's sooooooo much cheaper to attend DSC as opposed to SCI, so go ahead and splurge a little on your room. Roll Eyes coffee

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably 5 miles, but if you stay there, you can ride to the show with us.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry the difference between 3 or 4 nites at the Comfort Inn vs the Omni is the trophy for a wart hog. I'll take the hog. Also going to one of the best resteraunts in the metro complex still requires a car. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ - I know you guys have a great time there and just might?? come down for DSC this year if all goes as planned. Just had to stir the proverbial pot a little. Winter still hanging on here so the Cabin Fever hasn't all left yet. Wink I would take the hog also by the way.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Larry the difference between 3 or 4 nites at the Comfort Inn vs the Omni is the trophy for a wart hog. I'll take the hog. Also going to one of the best resteraunts in the metro complex still requires a car. Smiler

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote