New
Find
Notify
Tools

'08 leopard hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picking the brains of the best men I know on the subject, I offer the following:

I am going to Zambia in '08 for a leopard/buff hunt...and hoping fees don't go thru the roof... a few other 4-legged critters. I have 3 pets of which only 2 are going a Heym 450 double, a Heym 404 Jeff, and a Ruger RSM...yes, well modified with trigger, bedding, etc...in 375 H&H. Now while I like the double, New Guy (Chris) knows how in love I am with the 404...so the thought is to take the 404 for the buff, and the 375 for the leopard and plains game. I handload extensively so that's not an issue, and the 404 will be stoked with Swift A-frames and Woodleigh or NF FP solids...yes they feed very well and I am working on the POA situation...they're close.
BUT...both Federal 260 gr Accubonds and the plain 'ol Rem 270 RN softs shoot real nice in the Ruger and I have quite a few of each so I'm wondering about your opinions of these 2 loads for the leopard and PG.
I'm just thinkng that the 404 and 375 combo give me more "options" as far a length of shots on PG, etc. And I'm quite sure the 404 could handle any "situations" should they arise.

OK...enough rambling...opinions please.

As usual, thanks so much for your views.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot all of them well and are comfortable with each one, I would definitely diversify and take the double and the 375...too much overlap between the two mediums. You've got the double so I would be looking for excuses to use it and the buff is great for that with a scoped 375 for backup, leopard, etc. Perfecto...or take the scoped 404 in place of the 375 but I would go with the 375 and 450 and call it good.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In two trips to Namibia, I have killed 40+ animals from jackal and springbok, up to eland with the 375 H&H with 260 grain Nosler AccuBonds. They have been the most accurate of all bullets in my Rem 700 BDL/SS. They have performed flawlessly!

If they shoot good for you in your rifle, there is no question that I would use them with complete confidence.

They are certainly enough for leopard. Here's an exit for you to look, at as an example.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a great photo for several reasons. Thanks for posting.

I have some of the Accubonds but haven't tried them yet. Did you use any ballistic tips in the 375? I remember John Barsness writing an article about the BT's having a thicker jacket in th 375. I wondered about using them on plains game. If the jackets are indeed thicker then it should really smack most of the plains game (not eland) and would do a number on old Spots too.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
If I were going to Zambia (don't I wish!) I would take the Heym 450 double for any up close and personal work, and the 375 for any other work, Mr. Spots is in deap doo doo. thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
My African battery heavy rifle 450#2 and light rifle 375H&H...Double used Woodleighs and North Fork FN solids..375 used TSX for buff bullet and Bridger solids... But for Mr. Spots used Hornady 300gr Round nose.. 40yds and directly into chest hanging with head in buf hindquarters. out top of back just off spine..
DRT dead right there...
You won't look back with this choice of rifles...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YD: I never tried the old BT's in the 375, only lots of Hornadys and Speers, and a few Partitions. Great expansion, but less penetration than I liked with them, even tho the Partitions were much better than the first. The AB's were the best of both worlds for me; loaded great and both the Fedreal factories and my handloads were duplicates of each other for accuracy.

On smaller animals like impala and warthog, I had blood spray as far out as 14 yards on the off side! Broadsides on kudu and gemsbok always resulted in exits, every time. Anything besides a broadside on zebra, wildebeest, or eland usually resulted in a bullet under the skin on the off side. See this bull for an example

I am just starting to dream of buffalo in '09 or '10 and a new double is not out of the question. If I had it to use, that 450 Heym would certainly be the go-to gun of choice for the heavies. It just says "AFRICA" to me.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, gents for your replies. I realize that it's blasphemy not to take the double on this trip. Having used a 470 double on my first buff hunt the rush of the up close and personal scenario was awesome. I did, however, have to pass on a nicer bull due to my self-imposed max range of 100 yds. The comments about the "overlap" between the 375 and 404 are taken to heart...I have the same concerns, and I know for PG the 375 shoots a bit flatter at range.
I am continuing the load developement for the double and 404....I think the Accubonds may get the nod if the 375 goes..plus I have time 'till the hunt....that's a lot of the fun!
Thanks again for the thoughts...as usual a bit of diverse yet solid responses.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scoped 375 has plenty of power for the longer shots on buff. That's what makes it so perfect for your situation...up close you carry the double...longer shots you reach for the 375.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Its more work for load development but you could still take the Heym 450 double and then go a bit lighter in bullet weight for the 404 making it a bit more distance.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted buff, am planning for '09. Personally, if I were taking the .375 for back-up, I'd take something besides the accubond. It may be plenty tough enough, but I've not heard of anyone using it on buff. For me, it's gonna be 350gr. Woodleigh softs and solids. I'll use those for everything. The problem I'm facing is deciding between a light rifle or a shotgun.

To the original question, take what feels right to you. All of our opinions are just that. Take what you like and enjoy yourself. You can have a great safari and be successful with any combination of the 3.

Happy hunting,

David

Gary,

I went back and re-read the original post and it was more about the .375 load. Not having much knowledge about either bullet puts me at a grand disadvantage here. The issue I see is having tough enough just in case for buff. But at the same time, having something that will expand on Mr. Spots. If the Accubond will hold together on the buff, then that may be the route I'd take. I don't have much experience with the RN softs from Remmy, other than shooting at paper. They were pretty accurate in my rifle as well. But I don't thing they're all that tough. I could be wrong. Might also look at Partitions or A-Frames, leaning toward the Partitions as I think it would probably expand better on Spots. I'd feel much better about a premium soft instead of the Remmy's.

Just FWIW.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also hoping for a 2008 leopard hunt, havent decided where; but will probably be combined with buff. I am taking my .505 for buff and 375 for leopard; it will also serve as backup for the 505.
I have pondered the best load for the 375, and I think the best option will be a light, fast, bullet. Leopard have a highly developed nervous system and are very susceptible to shock from a high velocity projectile; most PH's suggest a fast 300 in preference to a 375; but in my situation (and yours) the 375 will have to do. I am going to use the 260 gr Nosler partition at 2700 fps; the 235 gr speer hot cor is another candidate. I am planning on trying both loads out on pumpkins post Halloween!

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari-Hunt:

I have considered that and am looking into acceptable bullets....I think Woodleigh makes some 350 grainers...might be just the ticket.

David/Indlovu:

I think the 235 Speers, 260 Part or the 260 Accubonds would work well for Spots. I am leaning towards the Accubond because it'll be used for PG too. I don't intend on shooting the buff with the 375...especially with the Accubonds. But as you know...or as I found out on my previous trip...you never know what lies around the bend. The 404 with 400 gr A-frames at 2300+ fps could handle anything I come across...with solids as back-up. It's not as flat shooting as the 375, but out to 200 or so it would be fine. Maybe I'll just sell the double and pay for a big chunk of my trip!

Thanks all....I'll continue to work up loads and see what developes. I appreciate the responses.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

The 404 and 375 overlap is their advantage. Both are adequate for any situation you will encounter along the Luangwa. In my mind that means that both rifles need to be loaded with bullets stout enough for raking shots on buff. Any premium 300 grainer in the 375 will work fine for leopard. Just put the bullet in the right place.

I think lighter 375 bullets just for the leopard are unnecessary and I would feel uncomfortable with a lighter bullet on buff. You might have that going away shot when the Accubonds or whatever are up the spout.

I just returned from Zim/Moz and used the TSX on 17 animals from eland to grysbok. They do open on smaller animals.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Maybe I'll just sell the double and pay for a big chunk of my trip!

That's how you add the elephant to the trip. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon...you and I think alike!!!

Mark, welcome back. You see, I was a bit spoiled on my first safari....I KNEW I was only after PG in South Africa....took a 9.3 Mauser with 286 gr Partitions....worked well for everything from bushbuck to kudu.
Then off to Zim for buff.....had the 470 double then, set up with NF's. Now when I go to Zambia who knows what I'll run into.
Oh well...worst things in like to worry about.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
trophy fees for 08 will be 50% more than 07 and the regular fees may be up just a bit due to fuel costs. take your 450 for buff i'm one of those guys that can't have a big enuf gun for them, and the cover in the valley is kinda heavy , but most of all go have a terrific time

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Butchloc.....just got the '08 pricelist, and I'm confirmed for the '08 daily rates since I booked early '07. The #'s aren't really too bad...went up a bit...but not 50%.
I'm really looking forward to the trip and I know Mark and Adam will be keeping me up to date with the latest news...great guys.
Of course...as others have said...it IS Africa.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC