cost of living in africa
 Login/Join

posted
what is it?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
tic,

I am sure lots of people would like to answer your question but you need to be more specific.

Africa is a large continent kinda like saying what is the cost of living in Europe.

Probably a bit of differnece between Rome and Giessen just like there is a bit of difference between Joburg and Gwayi.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It really depends on how you want to live.

Housing tends to be cheaper because the land is cheaper and the houses themselves tend to be simpler(by US standards).

Domestic help is dirt cheap. Often less than $100 a month for a full time gardener or maid/cook.

Fuel costs are often higher.

There are many hidden costs such as security. With so many poor, the wealthy often spend large amounts on guards and security contractors.

Foods that we in the US think of as standard fare, such as red meat, are often a luxury in Africa and cost more than they would here in the US.

Compared to the US, property taxes are usually far less or nonexistent.

According to the UN "the average person in Sub-Sharan Africa lives on less than $1 a day"(don't believe them, they are FOS). So I guess you could say that is varies widly.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
your right, i was too general, what is the cost of living ing say south africa, and tanzania?we all know cost of living will very depending on where you are but best guess is all im looking for

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
tic, I'm going to take a WAG at what you are getting at. I have (had?) given considerable thought to 'wintering' in Namibia rather than Florida or Arizona as I'm just a few years out from retirement. I have been to Namibia six times with another couple weeks coming up in a couple months. We have some dear friends there.

I concluded a couple things....$2K USD a month will go a long ways there for housing, basic utilities, and decent food is available. There is quite a German, ~Dutch , French, and Swiss influence there that we can ~fit into.

But there is a downside. First and foremost is the language issue. They speak English quite well when we are the paying client....but how well can we/you speak Afrikanner, German, or local tribal languages when we try to live there?

Customs are considerably different when dealing with everyday life. Might we end up with a big target on our back without a guide? What about medical coverage? Or dealing with local officials?

Better have a very reliable friend that you can count on and an exit plan.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder, would Namibia be a better choice?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I know that when our friends in Namibia were expecting their first child my wife and I search the internet for a place to buy some baby things in Africa and have them shipped locally. This is what we do for friends and family in New Zealand and Australia. We found places in SA but the prices after the exchange rate were incredible. A baby toy or bouncy seat that would be $18 - $45 US was $80 - $145 US. It was cheeper to buy it in the US and ship it slow boat.

The cost of living will depend on if you want to live like an American in Africa or if you want to live like an African in Africa.

Matt Norman… That is a really good idea about wintering in Namibia. Except Tania and I would summer in Namibia and miss out on the 118 degree summers here. July in Namibia was great!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not actually researched this but being a CPA what comes to mind is I believe taxes are a lot higher in Africa. Especially considering the dreaded VAT tax.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Used to be dirt cheap... Cool

then I got married...... Confused

Then I had four kids..... Eeker

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,
I do not mean to be argumentative but 18%vat tax(in east africa) is a dam site cheaper taxes than we pay here in the usa. in east africa there is no property tax
africa is no different than any where else in the world the cost of living depends on your life style.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong about this but the VAT is in addition to an income tax. At least that was what the Democrats here in the US have proposed. Could be different in Africa but like I said I have not researched this for any where in Africa.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Single guy to enjoy life? US$2000 a month is plenty in Zim. For a family with kids...add at least US$400 per month for school fees and a another 200 for fuel in running around after them...that's before you get onto colledge etc. Last time I ran all the expenses of living in Harare I came out to US$3500 per month for a family of 4.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The VAT is in addition to income tax, but that said the income tax is a bit of a joke. My understanding is no one really pays full income tax and the authorities don't care because the VAT is the major tax and on that they are very strict. I think the VAT in RSA is 14% but don't know on what it is charged. It is truly a sales tax but like in the states (proposed) VAT would go down better. A true VAT is assesed at each level where value is added thus the name of the tax. The product would be taxed at the mfg level and paid by the mfg and then another added for the value added by the distributor etc etc. Sorry to divert the subject. I think bigger than the cost factor is the getting use to the pace of life. Sometimes slower can be good but when waiting for service ie a plumber it is totally different.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Lets see;
Halfway decent house/condo in a halfway decent area JHB, DBN or Capetown about R8-10000 per month rental.
Family of 4, lights and water about R1500/1800 per month.
Food about R1000/1500 a week (basic).
Fuel about R2000/3000 per month for a regular medium size vehicle.
Insurance for the vehicle and household about R1800pm.
Lease on said vehicle about R4/5000 per month.
School for regular gov school about R1000/1200 pm per kid.
Varsity/college about R5000 pm.
Private school up to R100k per annum per kid as a day scholar.
Security surveillance and armed response for house about R500pm.

You haven't gone out for a beer (about R15), dinner (about R120 for simple starter and steak)or movie (R45) yet.
Decent Rump steak around R70/kg.

Ammo for 7mm rem mag up about R500 a box of 20. Primers about R60/100 and powder about R300/lb. Box of premium 30 cal bullets about R850/50.

Gas/diesel around R7.50/litre
Todays rate of exchange $1 = R7.19

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christ that is more than I make a month gross before taxes etc. I smell smoke.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good information.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Christ that is more than I make a month gross before taxes etc. I smell smoke.

Who's numbers do you have a problem with?

Nothing looks out of place to me.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Thus far - one M60 S&W /two NAA .22 mags / one STI .40 slide / about $2,000 USD / twice as much grey hair as when I got here in April / frazzled nerves / overstayed welcomes / cost me two "friends" (Nice relaxing female types) and an editor / and I haven't paid rent, bought much in the way of food or really incurred any "hard" expenses...
But from what I have seen, to live comfortably, you would need in excess of $2,500 USD each month. But if you wanted to live comfortably and go out and have fun on a regular basis...add another $1,000.
Cheers,
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 On the costs.
At the moment I'm renting a 3 bedroom place in a security estate for R5500pm +/- $765, thus saving on security expenses.
Depends on what you want and how deep your pockets are.

Posts: 42 | Location: RSA, Pretoria | Registered: 14 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a real jolt, check out the following:

http://www.vanityfair.com/sear...Angola&submit=Submit

Scroll down and read the series of articles titled "Angola on a New York Budget". Long read, but interesting, and I can vouch for Luanda being an expensive city to live in. Cheers.

Posts: 42 | Location: Texas & Kuwait | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vanity fair dam has this thread deteriorated to that level shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
This is a tricky question from a geographical perspective but also highlights issues relating to socio-economic class and what you feel you "need". For example, I know plenty of people in the northern part of the continent who live on much less than $50 a month and seem a good bit happier than most first worlders I know. In the same country however, if you feel you need it, it is easy to spend $175,000 on a three bedroom apartment in a nice area, drop 3x retail for an imported car, pay big money for imported food, and $20,000 per year on private primary and secondary school tuition. That said, you can also get a full time driver for $150 a month, a live-in maid for $200-$250 a month, and pay 1 cent per loaf for bread and $1.50 a gallon for subsidized petrol. It's all a matter of priorities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live very well in east Africa for about 1000 u.s. a month I rent a apartment with security from 125 to 225 a month. admittedly I do have a modest life style it would be more expensive if I bought a car. but I feel quit comfortable using public transport or renting a car if I need one for a few days. food cost are 1/3 or less there as compared to here depending on what I buy and where I buy it. I stay away from the big chain stores as much a possible they tend to be a lot higher priced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the prices on taxidermy in Africa, say versus the states?