New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good red lechwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was bowhunting the Okavango last summer in pursuit of various species, including red lechwe. I got within 72 yards of a beauty of a red lechwe that was massive and long- over 27 inches (I know this because I sent my father back with a rifle the next day and he took the trophy). I ended up stalking a lechwe that busted me before I could get a good shot with my bow on the last day, then grabbed my PH's rifle and took the lechwe before he could get out of the reeds (reminded me of a mule deer, as he just had to look back one more time). He ended up having pretty good mass and was a bit over 23 inches long.

My question is this: what is a good red lechwe? Over 22, over 25, over 27? My PH told me it was a respectable trophy- no trophy but no dink either. However, he also had me shoot a red hartebeast cow (that I thought was a bull) because there had only been 4 hartebeast taken in that particular concession in the past 5 years and it was rare to get a shot at any hartebeast, including a cow. At least that's what I'm told. He also had me take a 50 inch kudu on the last day in the Kalahari that was allegedly mature, but since I've learned that the fact that his tops down completely curl around is indicative of a not-mature animal. I guess what I'm saying is that in hindsight, I'm not positive that the PH is just pulling one over on me with the lechwe, too.

So, what's a good red lechwe?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That last post should have read: "but since then I've learned that the fact that his tops don't completely curl around is indicative of a not-yet mature animal."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
C.C. I think you are being too hard on the ph. A 50 inch kudu is larger than the average taken in southern africa, the average being about 46 or 47 inches. Most of the huge trophies taken with a bow in africa are taken at a water source from a blind. Sounds to me like you stalked yours, so yours would be more impressive though just representative in another light. Congratulations!

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CC

Looking at the SCI record book on red lechwe 22" should make the book, 25" very respectable and 27" excellent and a gold medal candidate.

I've read your post on the kudu several time and I think you are mistaken about the kudu. First as Adrian has stated a bow killed kudu of 50" taken by stalking is no mean feat. Congrats! Second the fact the horns do not turn out at the top does not specifically indicate age. The oldest of several kudu I have shot was 50" exactly with tips turned in. The keels were completely worn off the front of his horns.

I don't understand shooting the cow hartebeest particularly if you had to pay for it but otherwise I think your PH did a good job.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably sounded more harsh than I intended. I loved my PH. I will hunt with him again. I consider him a friend. I was a bit disappointed with the hartebeast, which he detected, but he did not realize prior to my shooting the animal that I would not desire to shoot a cow. To him, it was a great trophy- my best. To me, well, I just don't like to shoot females. That being said, I know that he, as most humans, would try to color things to make a client, friend, or whoever happier (ie- saying that a particular animal was a bit better than it is).

As for the kudu, I may not have described it well enough. It's not the length that bothers me. 47 would be fine. It's that the second curl does not complete. The horns just kind of splay outward and do not wrap around to complete the second curl. I previously posted a question about this and was told by other AR folks that this indicates an immature animal.

I appreciate the responses, and I assure you, I'm still proud of all of the trophies harvested, including the hartebeast and the gemsbok that I actually shot with a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rowland Ward lists the minimum as 26 inches for red lechwe.

But for me whether an animal will make the record book is not important as the hunt. It is the hunt that makes an animal a trophy for me.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
Rowland Ward lists the minimum as 26 inches for red lechwe.

But for me whether an animal will make the record book is not important as the hunt. It is the hunt that makes an animal a trophy for me.

I am definitely of the same persuasion!!!

We all set out to get the big one for sure but when its all said and done...The trophy is not what I scored or the animal that is hanging on my wall...But personally for me the TROPHY is the QUALITY of THE HUNT for that animal, i.e., spotting, stalking, and "all" the CHALLENGES until I take THE SHOT....IS MY TROPHY...

Listening to you about THE HUNTS...It sounds to me that you indeed have your TROPHIES... dancing

Good on you buddy! clap

I just got back a month ago and my (2) Kudu Bulls were both shy of 50" by 1/4" and the other by 3/4" IIRC...but if you'd been there in my boots you would have experienced a WORLD-CLASS TROPHY HUNT on both of them...It was such an incredible "high" and the reason why I have chosen to shoulder-mount both of these Kudu Bulls....

The TRUE TROPHIES lay with-in my SOUL... Wink

These are just my opinions and realize not everyone subscribes to my way of thinking and its OK....I pay the bills and that's all that matters to me Cool

I'd rather have the TROPHY HUNT like I experienced any day over someone who just was riding in the bakkie and saw a 58" Kudu in the bush and shot and fired it on sight....But realize that's just me... coffee

It sounds like your PH did you good and you and dad had a GREAT TIME...Don't let the ins and outs of a Kudu"s horn curl ROB you of the experience of a lifetime that you and your dad had in Africa...

You're SOLID in my books...FWIW... clap clap clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are right on and I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. When I hunted these animals, and was subsequently fortunate enough to harvest them, I was having the time of my life. I did not regret any of the decisions to pull the trigger or trip the release then, so I don't know why I'm second guessing it now. I remember assuring my PH after the hartebeast that I thought it was disrespectful to be disappointed in an animal after you've taken that animal's life, so I appreciate you keeping me on the straight and narrow. I just wish someone would now help me figure out how to get back to Botswana before too long. Man, that place was oustanding. Zambia or Moz would do fine, too. Cheers, CC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Counsel:
...so I don't know why I'm second guessing it now....CC

I believe it is quite natural to second guess it all after the fact...don't be too hard on yourself buddy...after viewing forums such as this and seeing bigger than "our" stuff its very easy to feel like I WISH I had gotten something else BIGGER....There is BIGGER for sure but is it BETTER...I'll take a QUALITY TROPHY HUNT any day over a BIG animal I shot out of the bakkie or just 10 ft from the bakkie...

I'm going back in 2010/2011 and I'm not even considering hunting a Kudu again.... Why cause I got my two TROPHIES already...I don't need a 56-incher to PROVE anything to myself....But if there's a 56-incher that will give me a TROPHY QUALITY HUNT I'm on him in a heartbeat...IMO I take to the sport to be CHALLENGED...To be challenged by the animal as well as the terrain...The day I just start shooting animals and lose that challenge, I'll be on a BOW just as you are!...I salute you brother....Keep on keeping on and cherish those trophy hunts over and over again in your soul...It just can't be beat, PLUS you had POPS with you and it don't get better than that...I could get skunked in the field but to be able to share the hunt with POPS makes it all worth it!!!

Every one hunts for different personal reasons...its their right...

Just know why you hunt and cherish it for whatever it is with passion...

Aloha,

Ro

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote