New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: Live giraffes in Texas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am doing preliminary research on the possibility of having a few giraffes on my ranch. Frankly, so far the information available off the net has been less than helpful. The fact that a giraffe may have a 25 inch long tongue is interesting and no doubt would thrill a female giraffe but doesn't tell me how well they might acclimate to Texas winters.

I'm interested in any ideas or possible contacts to explore this further.

I am in NE Texas, our winters are normally fairly mild and wet with the occasional front with a few days in the lower 20s or teens. However, 3 years ago we had 12 inches of snow on the ground that lasted nearly 2 weeks with low or single digits at night for at least a week. Just one more example of why I hate snow. While supplemental feeding would be no problem, I suspect that herding giraffes into a barn (a high one )for shelter might be a real problem.

They have them in the Tulsa Zoo, about 4 hours N of me, but obviously they have a lot of staff and a fairly high budget to care for their animals. If I can't do this on a relative shoestring, that is, if they require constant human supervision and care then I'll have to can this idea.

Any input or especially any ideas on where to obtain live giraffes or a contact with someone that has them and associated costs if I determine that they can survive here are greatly appreciated. Email me if you prefer it to be private.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, Now days you also need some Zebra and scimitar oryx for a proper Texas ranch.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something just not right with that.

Guide: Take the cow elk on the left.

Hunter: Which one.

Guide: The elk on the left.

Hunter: I can't see it.

Guide: The one in front of the Zebra

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatagordo.

Here in the UK we have winters that occasionally give rise to the conditions you mentioned. Woburn Safari Park have been successfully breeding and caring for Giraffes for quite some years.

I guess an enquiry will put you in touch with someone with indepth knowledge. This should help you make your decision on whether to look into this further. Best of luck.

enquiries@woburnabbey.co.uk

rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Of course, you might get in on the ground floor of a giraffe breeding syndicate....

I'm sure A&M could help.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote