Find
Notify
Tools

Smallest (practical) packing list?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
It's never failed... I start with the best of intentions and end up with three extra bags, and I bring 70% of the contents back... unused.

So, with another trip coming up, what is on the practical "minimum" list?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Obviously for you it’s that 30% you used as the max list and thin from there!

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck32:
Obviously for you it’s that 30% you used as the max list and thin from there!

Right!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, unless you have to carry it on your back."

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10395 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Make a point list.

1. Absolutely essential, cannot go without them - money, guns, passport, ammo, small camera.

2. Nice to have to make your trip more enjoyable - you are the only one who can fill this list.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The "be prepared" for every possible eventuality is the wrong approach, obviously, since every possible problem in Africa is a really long list. Two sets of hunting clothes, two sets of camp clothes, your favorite sun screen, your favorite bug repellent, your favorite pocket packs of baby wipes, your favorite Life Savers and any personal/specific medication you might need pretty much rounds out my list. I, for my personal needs, take more photography stuff than most people, only take one rifle, only take 60 rounds of ammo. I don't try to run a business while on safari.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have had experienced clients loose everything en route to Africa and did just fine with what we could throw together.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun, bullets, money, credit card, sunglasses, hat, socks, pants, shirt, underwear, shoes, jacket, passport, travel documents, camera, and medications.

That's all.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I have had experienced clients loose everything en route to Africa and did just fine with what we could throw together.

been there, done that. Worked out OK. Since I don't take a rifle, i can get everything i need in a carryon.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
First trip down, suit case plus gun stuff + carry on.

Second trip, backpack worn onto plane and Tuffpak checked (rifle and some clothes).
It was all I needed. Cool

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are in a camp that has daily laundry service.

Your travel clothes/camp clothes should be able to double as as a third set of hunting clothes - a pair of olive dockers and a light brown long sleeve shirt and a pair of muted color shoes (walking shoes) that can serve as hunting shoes in a pinch.

Then as others have said - medicine, minimal first aid (aspirin, antihistimine,band-aids, cleansing wipes, bug repellent) money, id, cell phone as camera, gun, ammo, multi tool, small binos 7x35 at the largest.

Thins you don't need - knife, specialized ammo belt, shorts, 10x40 binos, large camera, second pair of hunting boots.

I have always been able to get buy with my day pack as a carry on, 1 medium duffel bag, and gun case.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I always have a small back pack a medium suitcase & my gun case,fits everything that I need.

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And worst case scenario, you can wash your own clothes
Carry on for me
Seen all them camouflaged yahoos at the airports with ton of baggage
Shit show if you ask me ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
3 changes of clothes, toiletries, camera and gun stuff.

About all I needed last time around.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to say three sets of hunting clothes too because I've had a pair of pants get shredded on a granite outcrop, so I was down to two. But then I started hunting in Carharts. Now two pair of pants is fine. Still take three shirts.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I was taught a thumb rule by my former boss 30+ yeas ago - "END" principle

Essential - Gun, bolt, scope, ammo, licenses, money, footwear, toilet paper, medication, spare spectacles, underwear, hunting clothes, toilet bag, sox

Necessary - Sling, ammo belt, more clothes, binoculars, toilet bag, Camera, skin cream, knife, cleaning kit, gun case / bag, range finder, hat, spare shoes,

Desirable - Computer, hard drive, books, spare scope, kitchen sink, mother in law etc.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
This the way I do it. This way if they lose your duffle bag you still have two sets of clothes.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
This the way I do it:

This is good stuff. Thanks for posting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

They be Missionaries.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Three changes of hunting clothes is fine but if a night or two fly camping then an extra two shirts would be good

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would one take 'Camouflage" at the first place.........???

quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Carry on for me
tu2

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Extra change in your carry on and you’re good in case the big bag does not arrive. Add extra skivvies.

Not Africa, but I didn’t get my big bag in Argentina due to connections, but I had clothes from buddies of my same size (5’10” and 175). The key is wearing your hunting boots. Clothes are simple, but footwear is essential. The Texan in me wears cowboy boots traveling, not a statement, but easier with security. I’ve realized it’s not smart and have left hunting boots.

My goal is to travel with only a backpack, but I have a closet full of clothes there in Argentina.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Thanks. Best list I have seen.

I started leaving all of my clothes and day pack behind when o leave. I leave everything that I am not wearing on the trip home.

I wear cheaper clothes when there.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I have bought all of my clothes in the Joberg airport too. Rented a gun and then hunted. Worked fine.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Carry on for me

It's great entertainment to watch at JNB, plus they attract all the wolves while the rest of us pass through unmolested.

I agree it is best to leave all that behind and take the minimalist approach. You tend to enjoy the hunt more when you are spending less time trying to accessorize your Cabela's fashion ensemble for the day and trying to figure out how much more crap you can add to your Batman Utility Belt.

Get dressed, go hunt, live for the moment. Pretty simple.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, this is an impossible question. It is a bit like asking how much a car costs.

The answer varies greatly based upon time of the year, terrain in the area, bugs, etc. Would I pack the same going to the Zambezi Valley in October as I would the Eastern Cape in the dead of winter? No.

Ignoring guns,I can do it with a single bag usually.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They be Missionaries.

I have talked to plenty of them
All hunters Andrew
95% hunting in SA, usually first timers etc.
All of us learn eventually

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just a toothbrush - jack reacher does Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could get by with a rifle, some ammo and a stack of Benjamin's about 4" thick.
everything else is just weight.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They be Missionaries.

I have talked to plenty of them
All hunters Andrew
95% hunting in SA, usually first timers etc.
All of us learn eventually

I hear you mate. We call it Africa Lite. Same as the beer.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
To me, this is an impossible question. It is a bit like asking how much a car costs.

The answer varies greatly based upon time of the year, terrain in the area, bugs, etc. Would I pack the same going to the Zambezi Valley in October as I would the Eastern Cape in the dead of winter? No.

Ignoring guns,I can do it with a single bag usually.

Exactly. My mind went immediately to a headnet which was mandatory on LDE hunt, but not needed at all in RSA, Namibia, or Zim.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each took a carryon only. Plus my rifle and ammo. The PH said my wife was the first women he'd ever seen bring only a carryon. We each had 3 sets of hunting clothes, socks and underwear. Plus bug dope and meds and a camera. We were fine and there for 12 days. Our travel clothes and footwear could have been used for hunting.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must've read a hundred lists, and I've even written a couple for various articles, but you'll never find a one-size-fits-all solution.

Mike's list is pretty good, and I like Pelton's offerings at the back of "Dangerous Places" too.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote