Find
Notify
Tools

KambakU- Harry Manners.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Just finished readig Kambaku from Harry Manners very good read but the end is sad. Although he doesn't describe a lot of technical detail in how to shoot elephant he mostly gives his life story as an elephant ivory hunter.

He had a lot of tradegy in his life and he almost linked it to big tuskers that he had shot including the big bull of 187 and 183 pounds per side that he shot. Very interesting book especially if you think that it happened from after the second world war. Which is long ago but it could have been my Grandfather.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
To my recollection, it was a confusing sort of book, with no beginning and left you hanging at the end.

But you could understand why he, eventually, regretted selling those tusks!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Will,

Yes it does leave your hanging at the end but it was also the end of his Ivory hunting career and from there he hunted with clients.

I never pick up a hunting book and expect a perfect read but you cannot arque the experience he had was incredible. Reading chapter to chapter makes it less confusing, although I would have loved for him to add more detail he could have easily added another 100 pages to the book.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, seems he lived but died a little bit every day.
After his fiance drowned, it was hard to know what he did the rest of his life. He seemed to be a bit of vagabond his entire life without ever really putting down roots. He wrote very well and tells a great tale, but it was a bit tragic. Not unlike Ruark, who made a true mess of his life and died badly.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
One of my favourite African hunting books.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
http://www.sanparks.org/webcams/

intresting website look at the tuskers section as well

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote