THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Let me pose a Question: How many rounds does one carry when DG hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let me pose a Question: How many rounds does one carry when DG hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When hunting with my 375 H&H bolt rifle, other than what's in the mag, I carry 5 extra in my pocket. The balance are at camp.

What do the PHs recommend to clients?

How many rounds does one carry when DG hunting with a DR?

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Normally I have 3 rounds in the rifle, and 10 on my belt.

Also. I carry another pack of 20 in the camera bag which stays in the truck.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Saeed said.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I generally use a single shot handgun for DG, so I have just one in the gun and six more in a wrist carrier.

I always have a box of twenty on the truck, but they don't count for much once the stalk is started.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
2 in the chambers, 12 on the belt & a box of 20 in the Camelback

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Exactly the same as Saeed. tu2

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I carry 15 and have 50 more in the truck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info.
Thanks Saeed and You Other Folks!!
Had not seen this topic addressed before.
If I missed it, I think others may have also.
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Four in rifle, ten on belt.

My bag that goes in the truck will be holding the remainder of the ammo that I've brought. IMO, there's no sense leaving it at camp. You'll not likely need more than 20 extras on the truck, but who knows?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully enough to kill the damn thing!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Enough!!!!

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
My first PH insisted I carry a minimum of twenty rounds on my person. Running out of ammo was one of my RVN nightmares, so he didn't have to convince me. As a general rule, I always go with a full magazine, 4 in my sling and a minimum of 10 on my belt with an extra box in my wee-wee bag on the truck. This seems to be pretty common and works out just fine.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
4 in the gun, 5 on the belt, 4 on the sling

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Four in the rifle, nine on the butt stock.Extra box of 20 in my carry bag/back pack.This often stays in the truck but if going on a real walkabout it may go with me.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magazine loaded.

Ten on my belt.

A box in my back pack.

D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
Ditto what Saeed said.

ditto...una vez mas por favor

Except sometimes more than 20 in the truck...an empty gun is the heaviest thing I have ever had to carry!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A box between the gun, my belt, and my fanny pack, which usually stays in the vehicle.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 in the rifle, 5 in my pocket and a box in my day bag which usually stays in the truck. The cartridges are a mix of softs and solids.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolt gun - 4 in rifle, 15 on the belt, extra box in the bag on the truck.

Ruger #1 450/400 - 1 in rifle, 2 on wristband holder, 15 on the belt.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twenty solids in a culling belt on my waist and two softs in my pockets (seperate pockets so they don't rattle). But I am usually hunting mixed sex elephant herds.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ditto what Saeed said.

Double ditto.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Between 15 to 20 round. Better to have enough BOOM, especially when the dam Buff won't die.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A full magazine or a full double and either 10 or 12 on my person. And 20 or so back in the truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ditto what Saeed said.

Ditto what you said.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
full double, one in each front pocket and ten on the belt (14 total).
Bolt, full magazine and ten on the belt (15 total).

But, I am having bayonet lugs brazed on every long gun I own.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A minimum of ten Solids in a belt pouch plus whats in the rifle and two softs handy.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
As Many as bleedin Possible Big Grin
On a serious note, Everyone has their own methods and madness. It is also dependent on what DG you are after. My rifle carries 3 down one up . I have a sewn pocket that carries another 5 and another 5 on my belt. You just never know. Pays to always carry enough never to run out

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A rifle with no ammo is an expensive club.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry 10 in my Westley Richards belt (usually 8 solid & 2 softs), load two in my rifle as i'm leaving on the stalk. I have another box of .470 rounds in my duffle bag in the car, in which I also have ammo for my shotgun & spare rifle.

For the client? load up the magazine, and fill up your ammo poach or belt with both softs & solids. Keep a spare box or two in the car. For clients: they can use what they want, but I like them to have (especially for PG) the rifle stock ammo holder. It makes the ammo very quick & easy accessable (especially if laying down) ...and also adds bit weight and will take out some recoil too. The only bad thing with them is that the cartidges seem to fall out & get lost easier than with belt ammo loops.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TANZ-PH

I agree wholeheartedly on the riflestock ammo holder. You just have to change them out occasionally as they stretch out. The ammo is handy and there never is any question about where the ammo is. When you pick up your rifle the extra ammo is with it. It also eliminates the need for an ammo belt that can pull your pants down and us commando guys don't want that to happen.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Young- On all of the above ,I enthusiastically agree!

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I dislike the looks of the buttstock ammo carriers, and they will effect the finish of wood stocks and they do stretch out of shape. I also find loading from the belt or sling is much faster and allows me to keep watch on the target. In any event, reloading is an art form that requires practice. JMO.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully enough to kill the damn thing!

Walking in on a wounded Buff, with one chambered round, and an empty clip,....thought that's all I need....yeah right....he charged from 30 yards, with a hole in his lungs.....moral is, don't be under-prepared, expect the worst, and handle it.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I could not agree more. The bttstock ammo carrier looks like shit and can be damaging to the stock finsh. Personally I've been hunting with plastic stocks for many years so looks and stock finish are somewhat irrelevant for my purposes. As you say reloading is an art form or perhaps a disipline unto itself and the buttstock carrier works perfectly for me for this pupose. 22 years in the Alaska bush taught me the value having only practical low maintenance equipment and the buttstock carrier is more than practical and maintenance free.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

Like you, all my working guns purchased in the past 15+ years come ordered with synthetic stocks, including a couple Custom Shop rifles that were to have high grade walnut stocks. They are much more practical for those of us who spend weeks/months in the field rather than hours/days. And I know you've put in the time at reloading practice. Not so the majority of hunters, even African hunters. That's why we repeatedly hear the PH on TV and DVD hunting shows telling the client to "Reload. Reload."

My new DR, bought sight unseen, has been described to me as having a beautiful (walnut) stock. I mentioned the discoloration issue regarding wood stocks fitted with the elastic buttstock ammo carriers for the benefit of those with walnut stocks who are not aware of this and may not realize the damage these cause to wood stocks. Someday they will have a rude surprise.
nilly Eeker Frowner Mad

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
LH,

Got it!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I like to be sure the whole crew has enough ammo.

Oops, wrong picture.

A full mag plus this on the belt and more on the truck. The ammo back at camp may be too far.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I like to be sure the whole crew has enough ammo.

Can you imagine how much that ammo weighs?

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thought about DG ammo to carry (based on a one time hunt for buff)was that I needed the 4 rounds in the 375 H&H Ruger "Africa" -beyond that, I figured that the buff would be uninterested -whether from his perspective or mine! Smiler ( did carry a few upper left shirt pocket rounds -but certainly no ammo belt or cartridge holders. (I had a father who educated me at about 14 years of age about carrying ammo in the field when I headed out for a day's ruffed grouse hunting -and my pockets bulging with 12 ga. shells -" Are you going hunting or starting a revolution?"Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Hope for the best case,but be prepared for the worst case

Carry plenty of ammo in DG country.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote