THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zimbabwe Trophies Finally Shipping...11 months later

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Trophies Finally Shipping...11 months later
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

There was a post about trophies being late from Zimbabwe, especially anybody who hunted with ZimAfrica.

Well I hunted with ZimAfrica last year, one week after Seans death. There was some major screw ups but Wayne D. and my my booking agent made up for them. I didn't get my cat, my primary animal but I shot some record book plains game, 10 animals to be exact.

Now this should be interesting to those of you deciding wheather to ship back your trophies or not. You see I had my wife with me this last trip and she LOVED the experience. She had me skin and ship all the skins back including the back skin and skull of a HUGE Black Bull GIRAFFE also with the legs and hooves.... not to mention two Kudu, one Tesebeast, one Sable, one Steenbuck, one Warthog, one BLACK Waterbuck, one Wildebeast, one Impala, ahem... all caped with the back skins..

My single crate weighs 268 Kgs.... if my math is correct that is 591 lbs.. my shipping bill from Zimbabwe to BWI airport... $1999.94... save $105.00 prepay to World Wide Logistics. This quotation is also inclusive of an outstanding amount due to Maple Freight to the value of $250.00 + a 2% goverment levy of USD $110.00.

This will give you guys some kind of idea about the cost of shipping everything home. I love my trophy room so much with my previous African game, I couldn't bare to leave these great trophies over there... LOL

They ship out on May 19th.... 11 months since my June 2004 hunt. They were sitting at Maple Freight for 5 weeks just waiting for the signed paper from the bank of Zimbabwe.... Geez.. nut

What ya think..???

Regards.... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I'd pay it. Get a second job.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hey, Jim, I'm with you all the way.

Too much bitching lately about the cost of taxidermy and shipping trophies.

The memories and pictures aren't the equal of the looks on the faces of your family and friends, and the feelings and memories that awaken in your heart and mind, when they and you study the natural history of your trophies.

It's short money. When I'm too old and feeble to go to Africa, it will still be alive for me in the trophies I have brought back.

Don't forget to post pictures of yours, please.

BTW, got any adventures planned for that .458 Lott of yours? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lex:

Yeah as a matter of fact I am trying to put together a hunt for 06 for Leopard. I want to include Hippo and a Croc with Mr. Spots if I can. I will use my AHR 458 Lott on Mr. Hippo..

I am going with a friend who wants to go for Buff. If time permits, I wouldn't mind wacking another Buff... thumb

I will be going to the Golden Triangle in November in Illinois for Trophy Whitetail, 4 days with the bow, 4 days with the Muzzleloader. They think the next world trophy can come out of this area.

So where you headed this year? Nothing can compare with Africa, I just have to go back.. Smiler

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'm sending you a PM.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jim,

My stuff will be coming shortly..Just got an email and they are sending some ele tanned skin to get made into a purse or bag for my wife and niece...I hunted in middle of August for buf and ele...Cites is there and all paperwork...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I hope you have better luck with shipping via World Wide Logistics than me. They are a complete zero and their company name is an oxymoron.I have been trying to get a shipping quote from them for six months to Hartford, CT. The only quote they have provided is to JFK for $1200 for one buffalo and one warthog mount at a shipping weight of 125Kg. They believe in HEAVY shipping boxes and they apparently think that everyone in the U.S. lives close to NYC. Lately I spend more time getting trophies shipped then hunting and I think that I will just take photos in the future and forget the hassle of taxidermy/shipping/customs/forms/etc.

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

How much of your hide did you have tanned and how expensive is to have done over there?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Allfoden:

I know what you mean, I had to phone Africa twice so far to make sure my shipment is going to BWI instead of NYC.... Denise Cricheton,,, last name maybe spelled wrong, is the person I have been dealing with from WWL....

Their server goes down like every other week, so emails are a hit and miss sometimes. All I know is that getting Trophies out of Zim is a ROYAL PAIN in the ASS..

I am definitely going to look around some more befoireI go back to Zim..

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott, I had 4 gun cases, belts, ammo belts, 2 purses, 2 stools and 2 trashcans from feet and the ears ..Will be bringing whatever is left overhome...Will give you an account after I get the bill...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Holy sh*t, that is a bunch. Trash cans, that is unique? I was thinking about mounting the scrotum in a tripod and using it as a wastebasket. Has anybody seen this done?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
SBT,

The item that is first on my trophy "like to see list" which I would REALLY like to see an elephant scrotum tanned and mounted in any manner. Have you saved the scrotum from your elephant?

Second on my list would be to see some article made from a rock hyrax scrotum. Then there are some other similar items that I would want to see.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seem that you have a scrotum hangup!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew and SBT,

Are being pulling someone's .... leg? here?

(Ele's carry their testicles up near their kidneys. Hyrax as the closest relative of the ele probably doesn't have a scrotum either!)

We would all be amazed to see such a trophy Wink
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote