Find
Notify
Tools

Use for warthog tusks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well,
I put this under Trophy rooms and it is getting zero replies, so I thought that I would try here. I have a collection of large warthog tusks which was intended to create a wall rack for my bows. However, to date I have been less than inspired by the ideas that I have come up with. Does anyone have pictures or creative ideas for the use of these tusks around the house, or more to the point in the trophy room?
Thanks
Steve

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Problem is they split with time Frowner
Whatever you use them for fill the root canals with epoxy.
I have made hat racks, walking stick handles, stands to hold Ostrich eggs with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at some displays on the
trophy room thread.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah..so I have a pile too and you have a great idea to hang bows
So..as was stated...fill with epoxy or they will split.
I have something like 10-15 upper tusks in a basket. You have a good idea. I could,see using a wood peg and before epoxy is dry putting it on the peg

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I have made hat racks, walking stick handles, stands to hold Ostrich eggs with them.

Never had any split on me and one which is almost 12" long (picked up) and in its natural state, has been lying on the coffee table for at least 15 years.

Hippo tusks are a different story - none of mine have survived (all split in half) and no, I had not epoxied them and I should have thought better and submerged them in water for a few days a year as I have been doing with my ivory.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they make cool drawer/cabinet pulls

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Door handles Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
front sight beads .. or filler for a bolt handle with a hole in it.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:

Never had any split on me and one which is almost 12" long (picked up) and in its natural state, has been lying on the coffee table for at least 15 years.

Hippo tusks are a different story - none of mine have survived (all split in half) and no, I had not epoxied them and I should have thought better and submerged them in water for a few days a year as I have been doing with my ivory.

Wart hog tusks are ivory, and hippo tusks are exactly the same a human teeth! The hippo tusks have dentine on the outside, and the material inside is soft and when the moisture goes away it shrinks but the dentine can't so it cracks, and sometimes will break into several pieces. I have a vey large pair that both received cracking, but in different ways. the left tusk split length wise into two equal sides, while the other one blew up like grenade shrapnel. I've never had a problem with warthog tusks, and I have several some more than twenty five years old with nothing done to them.

I was told too late that the nerve cavity needed to be filled with a glue compound but I think the best way to make the stay to get a taxidermist to fill the cavity with any compound that will fill the cavity, and encase both in a block of clear plastic mounted of a wooden base to display them on a shelf.
Too late for mine, but that may be a setup taxidermists could take up.

………………………………………………….

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few sets of upper tusks and none have cracked, including a 14.5" pair from a warthog I took in Namibia in 2001. I gave them a soak in glycerine every couple of years. a None have cracked. None of them had the nerve cavity filled.

The lower tusks on warthog are a different story. I always fill the cavity with epoxy and soak them in glycerine. This keeps them from splitting but they still exhibit some signs of trying to split(sharp edged cracks).

I think that warthog tusks make great bottle openers and cork-screw handles.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I have one that is the handle for a large magnifying glass.

Maybe handles for a knife & fork meat carving set?

I've seen small ones made into key chains.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Get a good knife maker to use them.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a wartie back when the country used to be called South West Africa. It was dusk and as we walked up to it we noticed that one tusk was normal and the other was off at right angles. Most interesting.

I kept the tusks and years later a friend came up to me and told me that his knife making friend in Manitoba wanted to make a knife with a warthog tusk. If I would give them the two tusks the guy would make two knives and give me one.

Sounded like a hell of a good deal to me. So I handed over the ivory.

Many months later my friend wrote me a letter telling me that the one tusk was flawed and could not be made into a knife. And that it was too bad …

?????????????????????????? How did I do on that deal ??? Ha! Ha!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote