Find
Notify
Tools

Affordable hunt for first timers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted
Every year, after the last of our regular season clients go home, we hold a group hunt in South Africa at a pretty good discount off our regular rates. I like to give some folks with realistic bank accounts (like mine!) an opportunity to hunt Africa at a good price that won't break them. This is a good opportunity for someone who thinks they will never have a chance to go. You old African hands may not enjoy the hunt so much, so this isn't really aimed at you, unless you just can't pass up the price.

Yes, this is a group hunt, there will be more than one hunter in camp. I am limiting the hunt to 5 hunters total, and you will not be hunting more than 2x1 with the PH. The concession is in South Africa and is plenty large enough to handle 3 hunting parties at once.

Here are the details of the hunt:
It will be for 6 days (with a day of travel each way it's an 8 day trip). The price includes the following:
-Trophy fees paid for three animals
--Springbok
--Blesbok
--Blue or Black Wildebeest (your choice)
-Day fees
-All licenses and gov't fees
-All meals
-Lodging
-Drinks (including Alcohol)
-All transportation in South Africa
-Roundtrip coach airfare from Atlanta (connecting flight extra to your home airport)

All for $4000.00 US

That's for everything except the connecting flight from your home airport, taxidermy and tips. Taxidermy can be arranged through our shop in South Africa for a very reasonable price (about 1/2 the cost of traditional American pricing, and these guys obviously specialize in African game). Non-hunting observers may be added for $2400US from Atlanta.

Connecting flights will be arranged once you book, and they are quite affordable.

The dates (tentatively, but so far this looks good) are:
Sept. 21-Leave Atlanta
Sept. 22-Arrive Jo'burg-drive to camp
Sept. 23-Sept. 26- Hunt
Sept. 27-Sightseeing and shopping, Leave for US in the PM.
Sept. 28-Arrive back in Atlanta.

As for out of pocket expenditures by the client over and above the $4000, this is what you will be responsible for:
-Your connecting flight
-Hotel stays if your connecting flight requires an overnight stay in Atlanta
-Souvenirs
-Taxidermy (deposit need not be paid right away, but arrangements should be made to take care of this soon afterwards)
-Shipping of the mounts or skins home (again, not due right away and payment arrangements can be made at a later date)
-Whatever gratuities you think our PH's and staff deserve

If interested, contact me thru my website. Canadian residents, the price will be slightly higher as I will not fly you thru the US. Residents of other countries, contact me for price less airfare.

I will need deposits before Aug. 1, as that is when the airfare will be paid. Anyone considering going should look into getting passports in order now!

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you add another animal in the hunt? If i don't win the free hunt,i just might book this hunt.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! On the same concession there are black springbok, white blesbok, red hartebeest, mountain reedbok, eland and Hartman's zebra. They can all be added at the regular trophy fees. The only one I hesitate offering is the zebra. Females will be pregnant at that time of the year, and it can be difficult to sex them in the long grass. Mt Reedbok will be a challenge (time-wise) in this area as well.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
Every year, after the last of our regular season clients go home, we hold a group hunt in South Africa at a pretty good discount off our regular rates.

Here are the details of the hunt:
It will be for 6 days (with a day of travel each way it's an 8 day trip). The price includes the following:
-Trophy fees paid for three animals
--Springbok
--Blesbok
--Blue or Black Wildebeest (your choice)
-Day fees
-All licenses and gov't fees
-All meals
-Lodging
-Drinks (including Alcohol)
-All transportation in South Africa
-Roundtrip coach airfare from Atlanta (connecting flight extra to your home airport)

All for $4000.00 US

Am I reading something wrong at all!

I notice you have a regular 2x1 6-day package hunt for 4 animals at marginally less than $4000 ///

I was just trying to reconcile your late season special price offer for 3 x animlas being more than the regular price on offer, where am I reading it wrong ...

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

It appears that the special offer includes air tickets to RSA, which are worth about $2K or so.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
500G

Holy Smoke

I must have bumped my head getting out of bed this morning, or it might be because I am DOWNUNDER in NZ and still fast asleep .... sleep

You are correct, it includes the international airfares, SILLY ME

Price then sounds quite reasonable, it is of cource not bargain basement and dont get me wrong I dont want to be picky just want to see how it pans out in reality ...

So without airfares do I deduct it then equates to a shade under $3000 / per hunter .... being about $1500 max for the 3 x species and 1200-1500 for daily rates & road transport included within SA

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
You are correct, This is not bargain basement, but the client will not be staying in a meat huntingcamp either. This will be in a lodge, with all of our normal services, just not a 1 on 1 deal.
The airfare runs around $1575 each from Atlanta for that time period, taxes and all, leaving the hunt at around $2425. If everyone shoots the full bag by the fourth day or so and does not take anything additional, we usually knock off for a day to a game park for some big five viewing and give a partial refund for the non hunting day or knock $100 off an additional animal's trophy fee or some such, but we have yet to have anyone "finish" with the 3 animals on the group hunt, so we play that one by ear.
This is an honest deal, though-not one of those too good to be true jobs. I like presenting it this way. We have a lot of fun on these hunts. It is our season ender and we tend to cut loose a bit. The PH's might fit in a bit of our own hunting as well, and evenings around the fire are a hoot! We just like to bring along a few folks to share in our fun on the group hunt every year, that's why we tend towards marketing it towards first timers. The clients all meet up with me in Atlanta (at least the US clients) and that can go a long way towards making the trip a little less nerve racking.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
You are correct, This is not bargain basement, but the client will not be staying in a meat huntingcamp either. This will be in a lodge, with all of our normal services, just not a 1 on 1 deal.
The airfare runs around $1575 each from Atlanta for that time period, taxes and all, leaving the hunt at around $2425. If everyone shoots the full bag by the fourth day or so and does not take anything additional, we usually knock off for a day to a game park for some big five viewing and give a partial refund for the non hunting day or knock $100 off an additional animal's trophy fee or some such, but we have yet to have anyone "finish" with the 3 animals on the group hunt, so we play that one by ear.
This is an honest deal, though-not one of those too good to be true jobs. I like presenting it this way. We have a lot of fun on these hunts. It is our season ender and we tend to cut loose a bit. The PH's might fit in a bit of our own hunting as well, and evenings around the fire are a hoot! We just like to bring along a few folks to share in our fun on the group hunt every year, that's why we tend towards marketing it towards first timers. The clients all meet up with me in Atlanta (at least the US clients) and that can go a long way towards making the trip a little less nerve racking.

hhmag

That ( final price review) sounds quite attractive and the hunt appears to be a low pressure fun situation with some distinct possibility of off site veture fun etc.

It is a bit along the lines of my previous (OLD TIMERS) type safari hunt adventure which I floated on AR some months ago, BUT you are not restricting the hunt to MOSES and those of that advanced age group Wink

Sounds like it could be a ball for those considering the offer

Take care as always in Sunny SA

Cheers Peter

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
3 spots left. Interest on the third. Five spots total.

Thanx, Peter. Spoken like an honourable gentlemanman. I appreciate the kind word.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

posted Hide Post
While I can't swing it this year, it sounds like a great introduction to the African experience. I'll have to start saving my pennies for next year.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." --Albert Einstein

Posts: 4 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
hhmag, If one is coming from France does one have to go to Atlanta to be eligible for the price you quote? If I pick up my airfare from Paris to Joburg what would the price be?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
The price for non-us residents providing their own airfare is $2425 USD (E 2013 as of today). We will be picked up from the airport to begin the trip to the concession at about 10 or 11 am on the 22nd, so if the flight from France gets in later in the day, you may have to make arrangements to come in a day early and overnight (I recommend Afton House). We can then pick you up from there once the US contingent clears customs and leaves the airport. I will still provide assistance in clearing customs and help in obtaining your firearms import permits or arranging the loan of a rifle for you.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
This is a heck of a good deal... It'd cost me nearly that to hunt elk and sleep in a dang tent here in the US. Eeker

Unfortunately this year I've sunk all my available cash into rennovating our "fixer upper" house the wife and I bought. bawling

And then next year I hope to go on the "Free Buffalo Hunt"... Big Grin

But after that I'm sure I'll be hooked on Africa and will be thrilled to be able to afford a hunt like this. Wink

Thanks hhmag for offering us this DEAL! Smiler

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Two spots left folks, I got a partial deposit to hold spot number three with the understanding that if he cannot pay the rest of the deposit by August 1st then his spot will go back up. Anyone seriously intrested should send me an email letting me know-first come first serve.

LDHunter-Lucky for you I do a similar hunt every year. Email me if you want to be on the notification list for next year's hunt.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Last spot is still open if anyone is interested. August 1st is still the deadline for getting me the deposit. Email me if interested as I still can't figure out the darned PM's here-for some reason my firewall is interfering so if anyone has PMed my, sorry for not responding.
BTW LD, I did get your email but I was ooc at the time. Just got back so I thought I'd let you know!

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin