New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra pedestal mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm just starting my taxidermist on a zebra pedestal mount, among other pieces. I've seen a number of posts on this site and others showing a variety of pedestals. But of course, now that I would like to show some of these ideas to the taxidermist, I can't find them again. Anyone with pictures of pedestals for a zebra mount, I'd sure appreciate seeing them again.

Thanks,

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Whoops! The photo of my Zebra pedestal mount is in the Trophy Room section.

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post

Here are a few I have found and saved for consideration should I decide to shoot a zebra.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Here are some ideas that I have stolen off the internet. Some of them belong to AR members. Jeff < !--color-->

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys make of pedestal mounts that push the trophy into shapes that are not natural, but look like a chess piece?-look at the first pic in the last post. I don't think they do the animal justice, in the same way as we always aspire to get a horse to be "collected" it seems a bit unnatural.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I don't care for that style of "art". I much prefer the natural vs. forced look.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
That first one looks like a carousel horsie. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Bogshossian - Is it that the pose is unnatural or is it natural, but simply not seen as much as the others? I could imagine seeing the zebra in that pose were it reared back on it it's hind legs and preparing to bite or be bitten by another stallion, much like horses I've seen here in the states. In this case, I actually think it stands out because it is not like all the rest.

Bears are another animal that I think spends most of it's life on all four, but how many mounts have it standing on it's back legs? I don't care for that pose, because the belly is ugly (shorter hairs) compared to the back. However, I think they do look natural in that pose.

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are trying to post a picture from your hard drive according ot the properties http://c://WINDOWS/Desktop/edpicture/Zebra.JPG

You need to upload to the web (imagestation, your own web page, etc..) before you can link. If you don't have the ability to place on the web, email to me and I'll post for you.

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried email bradntam@comcast.net but message is rejected.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
I checked my virus detection and your email didn't get deleted becasue fo that. Is the file you are sending large? I just sent myself a test message from your post and received it. I also received three other emails from various sources, so file size would be the only reason could think of for it not going thru.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I like the chess piece pose. I also think it looks like a rearing position, but I think after a few days of looking at it I would want something more natural. I think the large head of the zebra makes a normal pose look like it is going to fall over, so I'd go for something in between, what ever that may be. What ever rocks your boat.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for the various pictures, poses, etc. Positioning the animal is always a very personal decision, and I'm sure there are no right answers. I suppose the same can be said of bases, but there seem to be a few good ideas in the above posts. Has anyone seen a round, cylinder type base, maybe covered with zebra backskin? I'm thinking maybe an ebony top and bottom of the cylinder, or at least some "black" wood.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has a zebra done in the chess set pose .. I love it !!! I was going to get a Mtn. Zebra done the same way facing it .. but things went south.. ... Probably will still do it, however ...Someday ...

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had originally wanted the chess piece mount, but the form was discontinued and so I went with a different one. This thread get's me motivated to call the old taxidermist and finish it already since it has been sitting there in the following state for 10 months now! It will go on a solid black marble base that is carved into a roman type column. We put it on last time I was there to see how it looks on the marble and it is top notch. I'll post another picture this weekend once I get him to finally fish it.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I personally like the 'Chess Piece' pose.....and it's really not an unnatural pose....as someone else said.....it looks as if it is rearing up to fight/bite whatever. Is the form really discontinued or does someone still offer it?

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is from a previous post I made asking about the chess piece manikin:

The position you wanted used to be available in a mannikin that was sold by a taxidermy supply company called Precision Mannikins in Houston, Texas. They were bought out awhile back by a taxidermy supply giant called McKenzie Supply.

I just checked the McKenzie catalogue and don't see that it is offered any longer.

JDS

That stinks, since with the marble pedestal, I had the whole chess piece look going for me.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although purchased by McKenzie, Precision mannikins still puts out its own catalog, and has a "chess-piece" zebra form (Z201P). My 2003 catalog said "a McKenzie company" in the lower right corner indicating it was produced after the acquisition. I called and confirmed with McKenzie about 10 minutes ago, they plan to continue producing a separate precision mannikins catalog and carry the chess-piece type forms.

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
giraffe hunter,

That's a great pedestal mount. Really creative and something I hadn't considered. Thanks for the post.
Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am having an elephant tusk as the base for my zebra pedestal. I am just not sure if I want the chess piece look or a slightly less exagerated chin tuck.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote