THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A humbling moment in Lolkisale with Bundu Safaris (BUFF PHOTOS ADDED)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A humbling moment in Lolkisale with Bundu Safaris (BUFF PHOTOS ADDED)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
Well people , I have to say that hunting the equator (or very close to it ), will give you almost 14 hours of hunting light and then it’s the drive back to camp , so the thought of daily live reports is out of the question …

We have however had an amazing 6 days hunting , with the rains threatening the first couple of days and actually breaking on the third day , the area is simply alive with new green shoots , the birdlife is incredible and there is an incredible number of zebra here right now , in between of course a myriad of other species ..

Graham Weiss , a person who has hunted with me before had trained hard and was physically and mentally ready for the challenge … Dean Kendal , one of the Bundu PHs who also happened to be a childhood friend of mine would also be on the hunt , it was my first time hunting these blocks and so having a guy with good local knowledge and experience here was very important to me .

Well , I don’t have a lot of time so I will get to the point …the main focus of the safari was some wide horned buffalo and a long tusk elephant , the elephants started moving in about a week before we arrived and we have been seeing upwards of 50 elephant a day , and each day a few bulls …many of which were , quite frankly , hard to turn down !

Then yesterday we took a very long walk , just following a ridge where the acacia trees were starting to flush green , the birdlife was incredible , a huge variety of brightly colored and highly vocal avifauna seemed to fill the bush !

We started to stop and glass the valleys and open grasslands below us and saw a few young bulls nothing of note , after a few hours of walking and glassing we met our vehicle at a pre-arranged spot and drove to a valley where we had seen a bunch of bull sign a few days earlier ..

Sure enough immediately we saw a bull with a huge body but in the thick bush we couldn’t see his ivory he was at least 800 yards out so in we went …his one tusk was very long , his other not very good , unbroken , just shorter ..

All in all there were five bulls …some of them certainly would have been great for the last week , but we had time and high hopes !!!

Then about 200 yards further along a bull stepped out and I heard myself gasp as I looked at him for the first time …he was standing in knee high grass and his tusks seemed to sweep deep into the grass ..

Dean and I looked at each other.. both of us passionate elephant PHs and both of us excited at having the opportunity to hunt in this area at this time of the year.

As we walked in the bull came closer to us and at about 50 yards with the wind in our faces we watched as he reached up into an acacia and pulled down a branch …

The ivory was too thin we concurred , much to the surprise and disappointment of Graham whose ragged breathing betrayed his excitement , an excitement borne of a moment that has been anticipated for several years !!

We turned to leave him and he too turned to leave the tree , completely unaware of us …I took one last peek with my binos and from behind I saw he was HUGE …”dean, we cant walk away from this elephant” I urgently whispered …”your call” he replied ..

This is the moment where the PH feels the most pressure , if you walk away , you walk away for every and may never see a bull this size again , if you kill the elephant the hunt is over and the trophy you are looking at is the result ..

Lets take this elephant graham , he is awesome ..

Graham , needed no encouragement …ten minutes later after a PERFECT brainshot , graham had secured himself an incredible elephant , as is my custom we left graham with his elephant and went to get the vehicle , as we walked away , I looked back over my shoulder , he was squatting down , stroking a tusk and patting the elephants head as if in thanks , I hope it was thanks …

When we came back , graham looked me in the eye and said , “I don’t ever want to know what he weighs , he is magnificent , the hunt was what I had dreamed of and I feel like weighing his tusks would detract from my experience” , …what a perfect statement for me to hear at the end of a hunt resulting in such a magnificent trophy.

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good report with a fine lesson in true sportsmanship for all hunters, no manner the game hunted. Thanks.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Stunning elephant!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
What a perfect end to a superb hunt and such a magnificent animal.
Congratulations to all involved.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, I would love to hunt the big boys there someday. CONGRATS!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Perfect! Congratulations to Graham, Dean and yourself.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Amazing, and classy. To a few, myself included, horn/antler/other is far from the real joy in the hunt. Congrats to you and the lucky hunter, Ivan, and thanks for sharing that.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the type of man I would be proud to have in my camp.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Mr. Weiss truly 'gets it' and hunts for the right reasons. It sounds like your hunt has been very memorable, and those memories are the greatest trophies of all.

Well done, and congratulations.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Now I hope you guys find that wide buff...

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A superb bull, Ivan.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
What a great trophy Ivan...thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt. It is very gratifying to hear that area is recovering with the onset of rain. In July and August it was a desert, with very little game to be seen in Samaras's adjacent concession.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
As always Ivan, great report with true life and hunting lessons to be learned...DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow! A beautiful bull....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Graham..

Unless you are an Ivory Poacher, the weight of the Ivory is of little concern.

What is important to me is the quality of the hunt, the quality of the shot, and how the Ivory Looks.

There is nothing like Elephant hunting, IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great looking bull Ivan. Someday!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I would agree with Graham..

Unless you are an Ivory Poacher, the weight of the Ivory is of little concern.

What is important to me is the quality of the hunt, the quality of the shot, and how the Ivory Looks.

There is nothing like Elephant hunting, IMHO.

I like that train of thought, No.2..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Well stated Ivan - great story and beautiful bull>>>

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull, congratulations.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Classic trophy! Classy report!!!!

Grins all the way around Smiler

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Great hunt report! I hope the buffalo hunting is as rewarding.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ivan: As always, thanks for sharing it with us. thumb

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Awesome Bull!
Classy hunter!
thanks Ivan

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING TROPHY!!!
WONDERFUL PERSPECTIVE!!!
A lesson for Jack to to call on some day.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Ivan, that is the way it should be. What a great bull!

A classy hunter matched with a class act PH on a great hunt...how else would it end?

Congratulations!

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
thanks for the encouragement people , actually we took a beautiful buffalo yesterday , after 14 miles of tracking , i will post a photo soon ...simply an outstanding buff and at the end of an outstanding hunt..

tanzania bundu has certainly lived up to their expectations , thanks to adam , steve and the tz crew ..

photo soon ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A true sportsman. I shot my Cape Buffalo on December 18th of 2008, and still don't know how big he is.

Big is all I know, and perched on the lid of the freezer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful trophy of what must have been a great lifetime experience.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
People , I am in kilimanjaro airport waiting for the flight out …what better time to show off our best buff of the trip …at the end of 14 miles of amazing tracking and an incredible hunt …tracking him over and under herds of massai cattle , other buffalo and rocky ground , clement , deans tracker did an awesome job , we are only ever as good as our trackers ...

old old bull , huge bosses and a beautiful spread …..

Graham Dean Kendall and me with the bull …

Dean Kendall showing the old man off from the front

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
great buffalo

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a Beauty!!!!!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW Super Trophy BULL !

Congrats

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

WOW! What a great BUFF!!!!Dan

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Ivan, great report and sorry I missed you in Lolkisale. I just returned tonight from being in the Selous for 28 days. It was great talking with you in camp though via sat phone and sounded like you guys were having fun. After 28 days in the Selous and 46 trophies in the salt I am worn out. Great elephant and glad that Graham got a nice bull. By the way it is raining cats and dogs as of this week and already hard getting around.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome trophies. Even better memories.

That is what it is about. Well done!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great reports!
A special moment for sure. Well done!!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote