THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Latest news - no guns on SAA - Air Link flights

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest news - no guns on SAA - Air Link flights
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I just got this news last week. I passed it on to Martin Pieters who called SAA as well as air link. After some mixed messages, it is confirmed that Air Link do not carry guns!

I am wondering what to do now.

My flight from NZ to JNB with Air NZ / SAA is fine. From JNB to Bulawayo is booked on SAA / Air Link. How do I get to Zim with guns?

I earlier had problems getting out of Vic Falls with a Booking on Comair / BA and cancelled that booking.

As they say - it is Africa - go with the flow 7 enjoy it. I have some experience with India and the old days ....

I am still going and going to hunt dancing

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
there is another airline that services cities in Zim but i can't remember the name. i know a lot of folks flying from Bulawayo take it ti Joburg. hopefully, some Zim residents will pip in with the name. Comair, being a part of BA, generally won't fly guns in and out of Zim.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Steve Turner, Travel with Guns. He'll know.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Naki

You might like to recheck your info again....... Unless they've lost their licence very recently and failed to update their website, they will still carry firearms to most of the destinations they serve and you can find details at the bottom of THIS PAGE

It should be noted however that various International laws, including the Air Navigation Order prohibit firearms being carried on any commercial passenger aircraft that has/allows access between the passenger cabin and the baggage hold whilst the aircraft is in the air and Airlink do often hire in aircraft so it could be they have changed the aircraft type on that route on that day.

Also note they require 3 days notice of travelling with firearms so I'd suggest you contact the airline and tell them you'll be taking firearms and ask them to confirm (in writing) this is acceptable and assuming it is, you take several copies of that communication with you.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve.

I heard from Martin today. He spoke to Air Link & they confirmed the rule. BUT .... 3 of his clients landed today with guns and no special permits were needed! Go figure!

The positive from this episode is that I checked the flights in & out of Vic Falls & found a seat on 1st Oct return to Joburg! 3 weeks ago all seats were booked. So I cancelled the Air Zim flight & lost a bit of money. But I feel a lot safer with my SAA booking.

65 days to go!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
You were booked on Air Zim Eeker You guys from down under certainly are brave.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flew out of Bulawayo six days ago on Air Link. No problem.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Same for me going to and coming from Bulawayo in the last three weeks. We flew on a 727, which is apparently the regular plane now used for the Bulawayo flight, instead of the smaller Air Link turbo-prop plane. I can't for the life of me, believe that SAA would cut off its nose to spite its face when hunters regularly take the SAA flight to Bulawayo or Harare every day. This doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a SA flight from Joburg to Beira operated by Airlink this October. I sent an enquiry to SAA about this and haven't got any response yet. Interesting to see what they say.

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
http://www.saairlink.co.za/imp...n/baggage_policy.php

Firearms and Ammunition (Subject to arrangement with Airlink prior to departure)

South African Laws prohibit the carriage of firearms and ammunition in checked or cabin baggage of a passenger.These firearms and ammunition must be produced to security staff for the correct handling. A maximum weight of 5kg of ammunition may be transported. As of 01 November 2007, no hand weapons (small-arms, handguns i.e. pistols/revolvers) will be accepted or may be transported on any Airlink aircraft. However, hunting rifles, shotguns and hunting handguns may be transported as checked baggage but only to and from the following destinations:

Antananarivo
Beira
Bloemfontein
Bulawayo
Cape Town
Durban
East London
Harare
Kimberley (ZAR200 for loading and ZAR200 for off loading per hunting rifle and shotgun). No fee to be paid for service in Cape Town, only Kimberley.
Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, Nelspruit
Lusaka
Manzini
Maputo
Maseru
Maun
Nampula
Ndola
OR Tambo International, Johannesburg
Pemba
Phalaborwa
Pietermaritzburg
Polokwane
Port Elizabeth
Tete
Upington
Mthatha
Richards Bay
Gaborone

Unfortunately, the Airline is prohibited from transporting to or from the following destinations -

George

Rifles and shotguns will not be accepted as Checked Baggage, unless approved no less than three (3) working days prior to departure through AIRLINK Reservations Control Tel +27 11 451 7350. Rifles must be unloaded with the safety catch on, and suitably packed and accompanied by all documents legally required by the countries of departure, destination and any stopovers. Only five (5) kilograms of ammunition is allowed per Passenger. Ammunition will never be carried in the cabin or flight deck of the aircraft. Ammunition must be packed separately and securely from the firearm case.

Weapons such as antique firearms, swords, knives, toy or replica guns, bows and arrows and similar items may be accepted as Checked Baggage only at the airline's discretion. This is subject to prior approval and will not be permitted in the cabin or flight deck of the aircraft.

AIRLINK will have no liability or responsibility where any item accepted is removed from Checked Baggage and/or retained or destroyed by security personnel, government officials, airport officials, police or military officials or other airlines involved in the carriage of a Passenger.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
d.unger - As posted by RAC guns and ammo to Beira is allowed. Done this route many times with no problem. Will be doing it again on August 29th. Be aware you carryon bags WILL BE placed in the rear baggage compartment on this flight, nothing inside except something very, very small. It's a very small Embraer Jet aircraft. You can actually watch them load your carry on, and I always have locks on my carry on bags for this part of the journey. Who are you hunting with in October?

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by d.unger:
I have a SA flight from Joburg to Beira operated by Airlink this October. I sent an enquiry to SAA about this and haven't got any response yet. Interesting to see what they say.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I'll be hunting with Haldanes. You? Last time I did this flight there were only about a dozen people on the flight so they let us take our packs on with us. Good point about a lock for the carry-ons.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Got confirmation from SAA here in NZ that Air Link have approved my travel with guns. I have printed out the email & put it along with my other travel documents.

It seems that the law is from 2007 and probably related to the old flights with small planes which did not have a separate luggage hold area.

The same old story - if you just travel, you get no issues. But if you ask a question, they have to check the rules and throw the book at you!

How long will it be before some officious eager beaver decided to interpret the letter of the law and stops a hunter with guns from boarding?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last two times I flew this route, roundtrip, it was pretty much full even though they flew it more often than in the past. A few years ago I recall it was only 2 or 3 times per week. I'll be spending 30 days in Mozambique with Mashambanzous Safaris. I'll be returing late September and will let you know if I encounter any changes or problems.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by d.unger:
Larry, I'll be hunting with Haldanes. You? Last time I did this flight there were only about a dozen people on the flight so they let us take our packs on with us. Good point about a lock for the carry-ons.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just received this from them:

Thank you kindly for your patience whilst investigating your enquiry.

I have discussed this matter with our Johannesburg Station Managers whom has informed me that no problems has been reported regarding the acceptance of Firearms from Johannesburg to Bulawayo. Airlink still carries sporting rifles and ammunition as checked baggage provided the passenger complies by the regulations stipulated in our Conditions of Carriage on our website.

South African Laws prohibit the carriage of firearms inside the passenger’s checked or cabin baggage. Firearms must be separately packed and produced to security staff for the correct handling. A maximum weight of 5kg of ammunition may be transported. As of 01 November 2007, no hand weapons (small-arms, handguns i.e. pistols/revolvers) will be accepted or may be transported on any Airlink aircraft. However, hunting rifles, shotguns and hunting handguns may be transported as checked baggage.

Rifles and shotguns will not be accepted as additional Checked Baggage, unless approved by the Airline no less than three (3) days before the Passenger’s flight. Rifles must be unloaded with the safety catch on, and suitably packed and accompanied by all documents legally required by the countries of departure, destination and any stopovers.

Only five (5) kilograms of ammunition is allowed per Passenger. Ammunition will never be carried in the cabin or flight deck of the aircraft. Ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm case. Securing of handgun and/or rifle cases and/or ammunition cases may not be done with cable ties/tie wraps. They shall at all times be secured by a sturdy and robust lock.

I hope the above provides clarity to the situation and please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information.

Kind regards,

Leandie Van Rooyen
Customer Care Agent
Tel: +27 11 451 7371
Mobile:
Department: Marketing
Company: SA Airlink (Pty) Ltd
siucgqwhgqw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be flying into Harare on Saturday via SAA. The email below was from Steve Turner yesterday.

Hi Jay

Not aware of any problems on South African Airways at all. For folks who may be flying into Bulawayo on SA Airlink they do require advance notification and may not accept if not approved, but true South African Airways flights to Harare are not a problem and they do not require advance notification.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote