New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino Cow Hunt..........WOW
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got an e mail for a White Rhino cow. 39 inch horn, $ 109,000 US. They must have me confused with one of those rich booking agents like Wendell or Ray. Damn... thats a lot of " double eagles ".................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since they get US$11,500 for a cow buffalo in RSA, $109K is about right for a cow rhino.

Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a price quoted to me very recently of $40,000 in RSA.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You pay on a basis or $s per inch of horn when hunting W. Rhino - it's a relatively easy hunt and (IMO) not worth the money. For me it's a much more challenging hunt (and a damn sight cheaper) to dart hunt them. Then it's a fixed fee whatever the horn size and if you want the trophy you can always have a fibre glass replica made to the dimensions of the Rhino you darted.

A lot of people dismiss dart hunting out of hand - but I think that's a mistake. It's a different kind of hunt but in some ways more exciting than a proper hunt - or at least it is in the case of a Rhino hunt......

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
We have rhino starting at $21,000 this year and buff cows at $5000 in RSA (not all of us RSA guys charge 10 grand for a buff cow, and we also don't charge the full dg daily rate for the full hunt when a buff only takes a day or two).

This is the guy that is $21k. Not bad, 20 inch bull.

I agree with Steve a bit on the dart hunt. Quite an ass-puckering experience!

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:

This is the guy that is $21k. Not bad, 20 inch bull.

On a reasonable sized ranch, if the client is allowed to get very close (10 yards), that could be quite a fun hunt.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
That concession is about 12,000ha, on the way to Kruger's southern gates (about 20 miles). The pic was taken by me at less (much less) that 10 yards, on foot, as we were stalking a giraffe. He gave a few mock charges, but two of the females nearby (with babies) came a bit closer to giving us the real thing, especially the one whose baby kept wanting to come up and give us a good sniffing. I got a really good pucker out of that one at the time, trying too shoo off baby and keep some trees between us and momma.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote