Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Brair,

Most PH's are going to want a broadside presentation before you shoot so a good aiming point might be half way up the body and right behind the shoulder or through the shoulders. The other aiming points you described are not practical as the room for error is great and in the case of the head shot the skull is part of the trophy so you don't want to mess it up.

Mark

Well said Mark. If he is sitting head on then centre of the chest.

Your PH will know exactly the shooting position and best ask him to illustrate it for you. Generally all baits are set for the broadside shot which is back of shoulder in the lungs. Never shoot him lying down.

Andrew,

Why do you advice against shooting them lying down??

I have done it more than once, all worked.

I think an important fact to remember is the position he is actually in at the time of the shot to make sure your bullet gets into the chest.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Generally all baits are set for the broadside shot which is back of shoulder in the lungs. Never shoot him lying down.

"Why do you advice against shooting them lying down??"

Because the body is relaxed and flaccid (imagine a balloon filled with water laid out on the ground); the position of the organs/bones may not really be where normally expected.
We are talking of the possibility of missing the vitals by a couple of inches; then the fun begins. Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
Brair,

Most PH's are going to want a broadside presentation before you shoot so a good aiming point might be half way up the body and right behind the shoulder or through the shoulders. The other aiming points you described are not practical as the room for error is great and in the case of the head shot the skull is part of the trophy so you don't want to mess it up.

Mark

Your PH will know exactly the shooting position and best ask him to illustrate it for you. Generally all baits are set for the broadside shot which is back of shoulder in the lungs. Never shoot him lying down.

Andrew,

I think an important fact to remember is the position he is actually in at the time of the shot to make sure your bullet gets into the chest.

This rule does not apply to Olympic marksmen.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
Brair,

Mark

Andrew,

This rule does not apply to Olympic marksmen.

I am not the Olympic Champion I am afraid.

It was my younger brother, who I have taught to shoot.

I used to put him in my lap with a 410 on my shoulder, and his arm over the stock to reach the trigger.

We shot quite a few doves this way Smiler

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Lowly .308Win with 180gr. Nosler Partion worked for me.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Glad to see the article generated a bit of talk! I like the KISS theory expounded earlier "Keep It Simple Stupid". Don't over think it and most importantly place the shot with precision! Looking forward to a few more chats with you all.

Dave
www.davelangermansafaris.com

Posts: 7 | Location: Zimbabwe / Mozambique | Registered: 17 March 2017Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quite right Gale! I like your thinking.
That .375 is going to be a great choice,
especially if buff and large PG are on the menu like Eland.
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
I was thinking for a two gun safari 416 Rem for the Buffalo and bigger plains game, and 338 Win Mag for Leopard and smaller Plains Game. Since its such pain and expensive to take guns I might just bring the good ole 375 H&H with Northfork 300 gr softs and solid's. I would think any one of those three would punch a hole straight through a leopard.

thanks for the post Dave and welcome to AR

Posts: 7 | Location: Zimbabwe / Mozambique | Registered: 17 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any caliber that will kill a deer will work on Leopard, but the lightest caliber I usually take to Africa is a .338 Win. I don't care to hunt the Tanzania bush with a light PG caliber, The .338 can handle a Buffalo or elephant with snare on his leg in a pinch and Im hunting Hartebeast or whatever for the pot and very suitable for Leopard..I would rather be a bit over gunned than under guned.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
People overthinking it seems to be the greatest problem when hunting cats, I have always found interesting how many hunters go and whack everything from duiker to eland with a single rifle and single load in a variety of situations and distances but suddenly become too worried when shooting a leopard or lion. I know they are dangerous but they will die just as well as the rest of the animals you have shot so far on the safari.

Also I have found interesting how many hunters believe premier bullets to be too hard for cats but then go on and swap for solids when shooting a pigmy antelope because of fear of over expansion? Confused

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would have no problems shooting a leopard with a .257 roberts loaded with nosler partitions.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by brair:
Hello Everyone,

I am reading with great interest the comments on the various cartridges used to hunt leopard.Thanks to all that are contributing.

I constantly hear that almost any reasonably sized caliber will if the shot is well placed.Please pardon my ignorance but what is the best place to shoot a leopard?

Thanks in advance,
Brair

Africa.

yuck

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote