New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAST HUNT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok,less say you have a budget of $20k to spend and this will be your last chance to hunt africa. Where do you go and what do you hunt?

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a hunt with buzz charlton for at least 3 elephant cows.

and my 505 gibbs will be coming with me.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Another great option is a ten day buffalo hunt in Masailand, Tanzania. A classic East African safari where big buff are found and the Masai still tend their herds of cattle like they did in the days of Hemingway and Ruark!

Except the rich Masai that drive around in cars and wear wristwatches. Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go with 700Nitro's plan and hunt at least three tuskless cows.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think given the budget of $20,000 I'd have to agree with bwanarm. The Masailand buffalo hunt might give you the highest quality safar iexperience for the dollar with the opportunity to take some truly excellent trophies. Of course the same money would buy a 4 buffalo hunt in Mahenge. Hmmmm!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either a buffalo hunt in the Selous or a buffalo/plains game hunt in the delta in Botswana. Also consider buffalo and sable in the Luanga Valley in Zambia. I guess if I had to pick one it would be the delta.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I would go to Tanzania for a buffalo and plains game hunt.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, last or in-between I would hunt elephant with a few baboons at the end.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Does $20,000 buy you the best safari? If so, I've overpaid in a BIG way

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
First, last or in-between I would hunt elephant with a few baboons at the end.

500grain! I like your thinking!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine anything more exciting than tracking/killing a lion on foot. I'm pretty darn sure that you can do that with a very, very good chance of success in Burkina Faso for way less than 20K and even throw in a Western Buffalo. The lion's mane won't be MGM, but the lion will be mature and quite heavy, maybe even heavier than East Africa.

That aside and if East Africa calls, the four buffalo hunt that Mark is pitching is pretty amazing... or you can do a ten day hunt 1x1 in a luxury camp in the Selous with two buff... you will feel like a king.

But for me... Two P.A.C. elephants for 15k.. add a kudu, a half-dozen baboons and an impala or three to eat. 14 days in Africa, great food and wine, lots of excitment, interaction with locals. Can't beat it. I'll do it next year and plan to do it for your budget.

Africa is huge. It offers about whatever you want. Just do it and hope you live/win lottery/find out a rich uncle died or something.. GO... Go... Go!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
If lion can be done for 20K, no doubt that would be my choice without question. Other than that, a repeat of my hunt last summer would do very nicely. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
For 500 grains....

Now as to the where.... Africa being a large place I would have to include a stop at some of the scenic highlights such as Vic Falls, and Table Mountain. So a part of my trip would be just plain sight seeing. But when the down and dirty time approached I would want it to be in as unspoiled an area as possible for whatever the best trophy for the budget would allow. It wouldn't matter, a Buff or a Lion, or a Leopard, or an Elephant... It's about being there.

MHO

dd

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't imagine anything more exciting than tracking/killing a lion on foot. I'm pretty darn sure that you can do that with a very, very good chance of success in Burkina Faso for way less than 20K and even throw in a Western Buffalo. The lion's mane won't be MGM, but the lion will be mature and quite heavy, maybe even heavier than East Africa.

That's all fine for those of you that speak French, but I can barely speak English. Frowner

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Pardon, s'il vous plait, Charles:

My PH in Burkina Faso was born in Canada and spoke English better than I... but it could be a problem, of course if you didn't consider language during booking and PH selection. And Burkina Faso sure as hell ain't the posh stuff of East Africa, but there is game to be had!

I do agree with the above poster who included Vic Falls and Table Mountain in his must do list.. there are other must do places, of course, but Vic Falls during high water is a true wonder. Dinner at the buffet at the Victoria Falls Hotel (if it still exists?) is a life-changing experience. 1115 and I were in pure awe with the whole display and the floor show. It's been three years since I've been there, but a night there and an evening at the Boma (though theatrical) are pretty darn wonderful.

Just waking up at the Sea Cliff and watching the sun rise over the Indian Ocean... or the whoop of hyenas and the muddle-fuss of hippos in the Selous, I can't wait do any of it again.

Damn, fellows and ladies... second to the Great Commission.. I'm a missionary for Africa and for enjoying it all, at least once!

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Judge, who was your ph in Burkina?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I'd do it Walter style!!!

How many piggies can you get for $20k???

I love piggies!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it would depend on why this was a "last hunt". If I found out tomorrow that I had a terminal illness, I would probably exceed the $20K budget immediately and book the absolute best elephant area possible. If I had simply decided (possibly temporarily) that I wanted to hunt elsewhere for the rest of my life and wanted one last African safari, I think I would follow 700s lead and book a bunch of elephant cows just for the experience.

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The Burkina PH was Clark Lungren. I don't know if he is still hunting or not.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
20K wouldn't cover it but if it was the very last I would con a banker into a loan to cover the balance and be off for Mt Nyala etc.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
For 500 grains....

If you will give me your address, I will come over and shoot that baboon off the rafter for you. Big Grin

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
rotflmo 500, I miss the bugger as I haven't seen him in 4 1/2 months. Though this Saturday evening we will be sharing cocktails! My original plan was to have 3 of them in the see, hear and speak mode... alas the best laid plans often go astray. Frank Zitz would be pleased to hear that you approve of his work. He's a local lad I've know since his teenage years. We're just a few (liberal intrepatation) miles north of the Vintager's Cup Shoot in Millbrook, well that general area.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my last hunt, I hope to go with my sons and daughter again - anywhere as long we are together.

If that is done, then I would hunt baboons, warthogs and the rest is gravy.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best answer yet and probably the best one coming.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think I'd go with Mark into the Mahenge for four buffalo! That is about the best use of $20K I can think of!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last hunt? Where and what would depend on why. If you're insinuating pending death I've been telling friends for years that in such a situation I'd mortgage all I can (a bit more then $20K Wink and go shoot till the money runs out. The last round would be for me with previous instructions to the PH that should "anything happen to me" be sure the crocs or scavangers pick the bones enough to hide the evidence... yeah I know it's insurance fraud but what the hell, you're gonna die right? cheers

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote