THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The tungsten cored solid is being manufactured again...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The tungsten cored solid is being manufactured again...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Speer stopped them, as many of you know, a few years ago.

I talked to Larry at Superior Ammo in Sturgis today and the told me that a couple of guys are making them again, five bucks apiece. I bought several off the net in .375 and used them on buffalo. The penetration is remarkable, and so was the accuracy from my Model 70.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a couple of guys are making them again

...on their pottery wheel with a steak knife ...?? This I gotta see ... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:

...on their pottery wheel with a steak knife ...?? This I gotta see ... Big Grin

Swiss army lathe.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently they are former Speer employes who know one of the best solids in the business when they see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if they make 2,500,000 of them and actually sell them, they'll only be losing $2.39 each before overhead. Midway couldn't sell em at $1.80 each - hence their prolonged stay in inventory. Speer figured this out along with anyone else who owns a four function calculator... Big Grin

Yes it's a great product ...good luck to them... rotflmao

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So who is it making them?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I think these bullets are great in the 458 Win Mag due to thier shorter length. They allow a little more room in the case for powder...which this cartrige can use. Out side of that I cant honestly say they fill any gaps that some of the current solids provide. Yes I guess they penetrate well however in all the animals I have shot with solids I have only found one that did not exit. That was running away shot on buffalo with a 470NE and Woodleigh solid which was found in the chest of the buffalo. I am sure there is a benefit to this type of bullet however it seems to be a very specialized item. Having said this I would buy small amounts even at $5 each if there was a true benefit. I wish the new company luck and hope they are successful.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
They aren't a bad bullet but they don't have it all.

This one came out of a rear raking shot on an ele.

Hopefully the new manufacturer's have come up with a better way of keeping the core and jacket together.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They disappeared off the net over a year ago at five bucks apiece, so someone wanted them. Maybe someone who wanted to take out a Brink's truck...

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is a bullet whose time has passed. Improvements in rifle powders have made them unnecessary.

But good luck to the two guys . . . Smiler

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
That is a bullet whose time has passed. Improvements in rifle powders have made them unnecessary.

Huh? What is the point? With ball powders you can get a bit more powder in a 458 but you still can't get a long monometal bullet in there for a bolt action.

And every bullet has its anecdotal failure now and again.

It is not necessarily the higher density of tungsten that is its real benefit, but rather a tougher bullet than a lead core bullet, which bend routinely.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the performance of the tungstens so much superior to the monometals like GS Custom?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

I spoke with some folks at AA powders (Accurate Arms) probably a month ago regarding their spherical powders (The own Win. powder).
They said their double base spherical powders are much more prone to yield different pressures due to ambient temperature changes than their cylindrical powders.
They advised the use of cylindrical powders in temperature extremes.
So it would not appear a wise choice for a 458 in the summer in Africa to use spherical powders.
I think this was a neat projectile; It may have not lent itself to mass production. I looked at a old Speer reloading manual last night and they said the cavity which the Tungsten core was inserted was machined. Not many machined bullets these days.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We tried different solid into a 1 inch steel plate, with different calibers.

No bullet penetrated that plate.

But, the tungsten core of a Speer 375 did go through.

I have used them on elephant, and they did go straight through on a side brain shot.

Other solids went through as well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Will,

I spoke with some folks at AA powders (Accurate Arms) probably a month ago regarding their spherical powders (The own Win. powder).
They said their double base spherical powders are much more prone to yield different pressures due to ambient temperature changes than their cylindrical powders.
So it would not appear a wise choice for a 458 in the summer in Africa to use spherical powders.
I think this was a neat projectile; It may have not lent itself to mass production. I looked at a old Speer reloading manual last night and they said the cavity which the Tungsten core was inserted was machined. Not many machined bullets these days.

I was worried about AA 2230 temp sensetivity. I tested it in cool wether here, about 40 or 50*F and I tested it at over 100*F and velocity was similar, with deviation between rounds obscuring any change due to temperature, if there was any.

Also left the rifle and rounds in the sun to get good and darn hot, difficult to hold hot, same results.

H 4895 was also temp insensative, which you would expect, given its source and its inclusion in the H Extreme line.

BTW, I saw some original .458" Speer tungsten cores offered for sale on another forum. If anyone want a lead for those, post and I'll respond with the info on where to find the listing.

I would buy them, but they are unsuitable for double rifles.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Will, my point is that, these days, tungsten cored bullets are as expensive as ever and, more than that, unnecessary. That means that there is unlikely to be much of a market for them, IMHO.

One can buy .458", 450 grain Barnes Banded Solids, with a sectional density of .306 (among other, similar monolithics), for a buck and change apiece - and they can be driven to 2,200+ fps in the .458 Win. Mag. with a number of our more modern extruded powders.

That combination of bullet and velocity will do anything in the Win. Mag. that can be done, IMHO.

Still, I could be wrong about the market, and do wish the two guys well. Smiler

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

Huh? What is the point? With ball powders you can get a bit more powder in a 458 but you still can't get a long monometal bullet in there for a bolt action.

And every bullet has its anecdotal failure now and again.

It is not necessarily the higher density of tungsten that is its real benefit, but rather a tougher bullet than a lead core bullet, which bend routinely.

With AA2230 it's easy to get a monometal (Barnes) 500 grain solid bullet in the case with enough powder to get 2200 fps at the muzzle. And temperature variation is NOT a peoblem in my experience.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Will,

I was worried about AA 2230 temp sensetivity. I tested it in cool wether here, about 40 or 50*F and I tested it at over 100*F and velocity was similar, with deviation between rounds obscuring any change due to temperature, if there was any.

Also left the rifle and rounds in the sun to get good and darn hot, difficult to hold hot, same results.

H 4895 was also temp insensative, which you would expect, given its source and its inclusion in the H Extreme line.

BTW, I saw some original .458" Speer tungsten cores offered for sale on another forum. If anyone want a lead for those, post and I'll respond with the info on where to find the listing.

JPK

Was this the listing Wink
http://forums.accuratereloadin...141044301#2141044301

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a .375 through an inch and a half of tempered steel at 100 yds. Shed the jacket but the core drilled a neat hole right through.

I called Speer on them a few years ago and was told they discontinued manufacture because of production costs and a limited market. Federal bought Speer, IIRC, and wanted to push the Sledgehammer. Cheaper to manufacture.

------------------------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Still want to know who is making them. A little help anyone?

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Still want to know who is making them. A little help anyone?

I'll call Larry and ask him next week. He's loading up some Speers I bought last year because my crimp die won't roll the mouth into the deep cannelure.

------------------------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I would like a few of these for a couple of my bigger bores.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MopaneMike:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Will,

JPK

Was this the listing Wink
http://forums.accuratereloadin...141044301#2141044301

No. Apparently there are still some availble.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will, my point is that, these days, tungsten cored bullets are as expensive as ever and, more than that, unnecessary. That means that there is unlikely to be much of a market for them, IMHO.

One can buy .458", 450 grain Barnes Banded Solids, with a sectional density of .306 (among other, similar monolithics), for a buck and change apiece - and they can be driven to 2,200+ fps in the .458 Win. Mag. with a number of our more modern extruded powders.

That combination of bullet and velocity will do anything in the Win. Mag. that can be done, IMHO.

Still, I could be wrong about the market, and do wish the two guys well. Smiler

Needless to say there just isn't much of a market for 5 dollar bullets. But I've had good luck with the 416 AGS solids. They would be my pick over monos in a bolt action for sure. FN solids have their place but mostly in double rifles.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There won't be a large market for them if they cost $5.00 each. Saying that, there is a limited market to those who want to optimize 458 Win performance on elephants. I would buy some assuming the quality is at least as good if not better than the Speer production.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with Larry at Superior. The name he gave me to contact for the current production bullets is Terry Thompson in Idaho, number is 208-746-6388.