Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ammunition weight
 Login/Join

posted
Silly question. on my optima form I put down 100 rounds of 500 grain loads and 100 of 225 gr.
Decided to weigh them. Heavier than I thought. 20 of the 500 comes in a almost 3 lbs. the 225 at 2 lbs.
How sticky are they about the weight and the number of rounds?
Can someone give me advise on this?

Thanks

MHarlow

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about airlines, I believe the ammo weight limit is 5kg(11 lbs) so you should be ok........

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some countries have regulations that limit the number of rounds that can be imported. Some countries even have a tax on a per round basis.

However, international airline regulations limit the total weight allowed for sporting arms ammunition to 5 kilograms or approximately 11 pounds.

You did not mention which country you are hunting in but you did mention Optima, so assuming you are hunting in RSA, you can bring in ammunition weighing up to 5 kg's.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I didn't have my ammo checked this year, nor were they interested in how much I had other than that declared on the SAPS form. They were too busy checking guns and hunters to be bothered with it. I guess it just depends on the day and the person. I have never had the airlines ever check it or weigh it as long as you are under your 70# per bag international weight limit.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I didn't have my ammo checked this year, nor were they interested in how much I had. I guess it just depends on the day and the person.

Me too, at JFK no one even asked about my ammo, in Zimbabwe they just looked at my guns, didn't ask about ammo.

I was within my weight, real careful of that

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote