Find
Notify
Tools

SHOOTING STICKS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I know we've discussed this before, I remember one of you even had a primer on how to build them. I am alos aware Stoney Point also makes a set, but I don't care for the hard shalow "v" it employs. When I was in africa last month, my PH had a set similar to the Stoney Points, but this one cradles the rifle in some sort of webbing. Like the Stoney Point, it also employed telescopic sticks. Any ideas as to where I might find some here state side? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long grass Outfitters has the nicest pair I have seen Long Grass Shooting Sticks I bought two Bamboo poles at the Home Depot Garden Center and wrapped them together with a bike tire tube and they work great for about $10.00.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
For those interested in making their own [from the
Tips & Packing List]:

Shooting sticks are widely used in Africa. Some PHs use bipod shooting sticks and some use tripod shooting sticks. You can make your own and acquire invaluable practice before you go. Go to a home improvement store or garden department and buy five bamboo poles (6 feet long poles) along with a two vacuum cleaner belts (Eureka F&G size). Your total cost should be well under $20.00. To make the tripod shooting sticks, put three poles together and wrap one of the belts around the poles three times. Roll the belt down about 6 inches from the top. Use the same procedure for the bipod set, just wrap the belt around the poles four times.

You may want to wrap the top portion of the shooting sticks with something soft (leather, cloth, etc.) so as to protect your rifle. I have also seen tripod sticks where one of the poles (above the belt) has been cut off, so as to make it easier to support your rifle.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Belt works better than a bike tube! I may have to change mine.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I just KNEW Terry would come through Smiler . Unfortunatley, the Home Depot here in Orange Park does not carry that length of bamboo sticks. The best I could ever find was around 5' long. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
jorge

if you have a "Pier 1 Imports" it's a home furishing store, they have all sizes. I got mine there, two bucks each.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Try those 6 foot green metal poles (plastic covered) that they sell at garden centers.

Others have asked about the shooting sticks with the webbing cradle, I have never been able to find those on the internet. Maybe someone here knows where to find them. Shooters Ridge Steady Pod seems to have some sort of "device" that supports the rifle, but I have never seen one in person or know of anyone who has used one.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Terry....Those look good!!

Jorge.....Here is the closest I could find to what you described. I just got the Long Grass sticks and really like them.

Here is the link to the ones from Dean Industries: Dean Ind. Link-Shooting Sticks

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Here are the sticks I used in TZ this month:

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This can also be lashed with cord. See BSA link for details.http://www.4thtyldesley.co.uk/skills/lashings/lash003.htm

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
How about cane fishing poles? Keep the big end.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Terry's bamboo pole set-up is just about perfect You can wrap the tops with the rubbery material used to re-wrap tennis racquet handles. They make a similar material for golf clubs but it's a smaller width (more wraping).

Also, make a few wraps around each leg about a foot from the bottom, it will keep them from clicking together when they're being carried.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the things I like about the Long Grass Outfitters sticks is that they break down for easy transport - to and from shooting, in a suitcase or guncase for a trip, etc. I also think they are extremely reasonable in price for the product you get.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Count me as another member who's very happy with the Long Grass shooting sticks.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
BobTx: Those are the ones! thanks! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Looks like you've found them!!! I wanted add my comments about the sticks from Long Grass. Ordered them a couple weeks ago and used them yesterday for the first time. They work very well and have leather wrapping at the top to protect the rifle stock - and makes a nice surface as well. Service from Long Grass was top notch - I am very pleased.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:

But there is a certain authentic appeal to the bicycle inner tube ! roflmao

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting sticks are a great advantage for all the african game..except close-in shots. I used them to kill most of my game in 95

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have stoney point standing and sitting lenght sticks; they work,but they were a bit unstable for my taste, so made several sets of both lengths using the Kmart garden stakes. These work great, but are somewhat less portable than the stoney points.

Here is a link to plans for some folding sticks:

Shooting Sticks

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I understand what I'M reading, you guys are resting the forend of your rifle directly on the sticks. I've always used the sticks to steady my left hand as I hold the rifle.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:

But there is a certain authentic appeal to the bicycle inner tube ! roflmao

Best,

JohnTheGreek

That was my thought when I made them.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
nopride: There are no set rules for the use of sticks. I felt more comfortable placing the forend of the rifle directly on the web "cradle" of the shooting sticks and I hold the forearm wit my left hand. Works well for me. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have three sets of shooting sticks. I have a homemade set done ala Terry Carr, a pair of Stony Point bipods and I just got a set from Long Grass yesterday.

The Long Grass set is a "take down" tripod type and can be used sitting or standing. Plus they are cut to your height. When I ordered mine Melody graciously asked my height so they could be custom fitted. Very nice touch! I got a nice hat with them too. Thanks Melody! Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]Originally posted by budman5:
Shooting sticks are a great advantage for all the african game..except close-in shots. I used them to kill most of my game in 95[/QUOTE]

Man! You guys from Alaska are really tough! Using the shooting sticks to kill African game! lol
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote