Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
New Zambia # 1 buffalo

New # 1 Zambia lion (I guess they mean #1 with a handgun??)

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now what? Confused
Can anyone see the pictures? I can't and i did the same procedure as I have always done in the past... Mad

Anyone out there that can make them "appear" bewildered

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I tried to open them as well -- unsuccessfully. Can anyone post these??

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Send them to me at Photos_at_NitroExpress.com and I will post them for you.

Substitute a @ for the _at_ .

(Can see them now - thanks Terry)

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

The code is [IMG]picture url[/IMG]

We have had problems with Imagestation pictures posting since we went to the new software.

I have had to switch to www.photobucket.com with all of my pictures.

I edited your post with the correct code but the Imagestation pics won't post (just get the box with the red X).

I was able to retrieve the pictures and hosted them on photbucket. I edited your post and added the pics.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hah! Now the buff picture is visible but the lion not! bewildered

I have given the info to NitroX who will attempt to post when he get's my PM...

Comments on the buffalo?

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I edited your post and added the pics (after I hosted them on photobucket).

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
The buffalo needs a haircut, he looks pretty soft and young to me.

Ugliest lion I have ever seen, is that really the #1 lion? He doesn't look that big to me. But what do I know?

Regards,

Terry

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
That is a great Buffalo, does anyone know what concession it was taken in? My guess would be either the upper, or lower Lupande, in the Luangwa Valley!

The lion looks a little scragly to me, though he is big, he's bald!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

I hate to sound like a snob but neither of those animals appeal to me. The buffalo seems very young and I've turned down a truckload of lions better than that one. Perhaps he has a huge head that scores really well. On the other hand I'm sure the hunters had a wonderful hunt and are very please with their trophies and that is what really counts. Trophies like beauty are in the eye of the beholder.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I concur with Terry. The buff appears to have a rather soft boss. However, what drop and spread. I would have had a VERY hard time not pulling the trigger! Surely that cannot be the #1 lion from Zambia. If it is, we all know where NOT to go to hunt lion!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think someone is making fun of us here.
As neither of these animals can remotely be called "trophies".

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

I won't comment on the lion; anybody with any lion experience has more experience than I do...

As Mr. Young correctly observed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure that the buff pictured represents a lot of inches given his spread and the depth of his curl. I'm equally sure that he would have been safe as a babe in arms in front of me. I want my buffalo hard-headed, and will forego scoreable inches to get it.

To each his own; differences of opinion are what makes horse races. I'm sure the hunter(s) are happy...that's what's important. Thanks for posting the pics!

Good hunting,

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 613 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I think someone is making fun of us here.
As neither of these animals can remotely be called "trophies".

Saeed,

Here Here, that buff is a baby. It's bloody shame that they didn't let him grow up. He's completely soft. I've turned down several buff that were very close that ole boy due to soft bosses. I'd rather shoot a hard topped narled up old 37" bull than that tender young boy.

Lion wouldn't be my first choice either.

This has got to be a joke,,right?

Greg

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have no problem with anyone shooting any animal they hunt.

But, don't call them "trophies".

I have shot several buffalo with soft bosses - but that did not distract from the actual hunt, and we enjoyed having them at dinner time.

Walter especially enjoyed the T-bone steaks.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
If that lion is an old fellow, though battle scarred and bald I would say he is an excellent trophy! What a better trophy than a grand old lion past his prime. Saves him from the bastard hyaenas (a nice mane would be pleasant though). Maybe he is young - somebuddy who knows?

Can't comment on the buff as it does look soft and I like a hard boss. Not worried about the inches (something the women keep telling me Eeker). Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
The buffalo needs a haircut, he looks pretty soft and young to me.

Ugliest lion I have ever seen, is that really the #1 lion? He doesn't look that big to me. But what do I know?

Regards,

Terry

Terry, I'm not sure that isn't caked mud on the boss, it isn't clear enough to be sure though. I certainly agree on the lion, I'd rather have a big lioness!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Maybe they thought that buff was an eland with that nice bush up front Razzer Is he mature enough to shoot? No way, IMHO.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is a joke. When they talk about #1 I assume they are referring to SCI scoring, which in this buffs case, should be quite high. I think this outlines one of the problems with the SCI scoring system on buff (and other animals) in that it "encourages" the taking of "younger" animals. Like most here have said, ever since I took my first couple of "soft bossed" buffs when i was starting off I now prefer taking hard bossed buffalo only!

I don't have a problem if someone takes a soft bossed mid-30 inch buff but IMO any soft bossed buff in the mid-40's or more should be left to "mature". Unfortunately, it doesn't occur very often as for most, "size does matter" Big Grin

The lion is difficult to judge from that picture. 1st impression is that it is a "young" animal but on closer inspection it looks "old" enough. Although scruffy maned, it "could" be a 6+ year old cat with poor genetics in which case it would be a good "trophy". The total SCI score for that cat was stated as 26 3/16 which places it at # 16! That would indicate the cat is indeed an old specimen.

I thought these photos would show the different aspects of trophy quality in 2 of the most sought after DG animals by hunters today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My humble opinion is that it is bad photography, the lion and buff look old enough. The buff have some caractor in the face.

Wimpie
A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office.

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote