Notify
Tools

Medication into SA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted
Hi all,
I am heading over to SA in Sept and wanted to ask if there are any restrictions in taking prescription drugs into SA? I am talking about pills for, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. Any problems with the above or will I need something else?????? Thanks in advance and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
As long as they are in a bottle/case with a prescription label attached, you should be fine. I am a diabetic and have to travel with multiple insulins, test strips, bags of needles, etc.. and as long as they were all labeled, I've had no problem. Right after 9/11, there were some tense moments as they confiscated my insulun and needles which weren't in the original box/bag, but I was coming home and could easily obtain more.

As an extra precaution, I have my doctor write all my prescriptions on a single form I also take with me which includes their name/phone number in the event I needed to have them intervene, either in or out of country.

Where abouts in VA are you??

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In nine trips I've never even been asked about my meds and I have quite a few.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Snakelover. I am in narcotics law enforcement and as long as your RX's are in their respective prescription vials, you are fine. Though I have done it to save on bulk, resist the temptation to put several types medications in the same vial. Though not necessary in the U.S., I like his idea of a Dr. signing off on a form, listing your meds. You never know about other countries and what jerk may be on duty when you get there.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you get to Africa you wont need all those pills. beer jump

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
SnakeLover,465H&H,Ramrod,and Di Ou Jacter,
Thanks for the input, I will have individual vials and an Rx from my doctor. Sorry I am so late responding I have been on vacation. Di Ou Jacter I certainly hope you are correct beer Take care and God bless.

cordell

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Di Ou Jagter,
Sorry about the incorrectly spelled name, it must be jet lag. Take care and God bless.

cordell