Find
Notify
Tools

Terry Wagner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Everyone,
A client of mine has booked an 18 day trophy elephant, leopard, sable hunt with Touch Africa safaris in Zimbabwe for next year April, they have booked through Terry Wagner. But he says he is concerned as Terry wont give the outfitters contact details and is very very slow with correspondence. Have any of you dealt with Terry Wagner or Jonathan Collett of Touch Africa Safaris? Just checking this out for the client so he does'nt get ripped off. He met Terry at Dallas SCI earlier this year.

Terry's details as below:
Terry Wagner - Worldwide Hunting
PO Box 8, Orting Washington 98360
CellFrowner253)279-8583
e-mail: wagnerwwh@aol.com
Check out our websites at:
www.wagnerworldwidehunting.com
Namibia : www.otjirusehunting.com
Zimbabwe : www.touchafricasafaris.com
South Africa : www.lakesafaris.com

Regards

Murray

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone is going to get a screwing. Or he is negotiating with Zimbabwe PH's to see who will give the cheapest price.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Doesn't bode well, IMO. Confused I think it might be time for your client to run. shocker

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Their website appears to be straight forward with most published information one would want. Would not want to brand them suspect as they appear to be an operating southern Zimbabwe hunting company with what appears to be a nice lodge and camp. Rates are published and PH appears to be a Jon Collett. Exactly where the hunting areas are is the only question I could not see spelled out fairly well. If you search on the net you find they reference hunting in the Bubiaina Conservancy which I have not hunted in so cannot evaluate the availability of the desired game. I would think you could check them out with the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters Assoc.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
AR member Scottyboy is on their website.

This is his hunting report. He seemed pretty happy with his hunt.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...111000341#3111000341

There was a report on the Africa Hunting site that was less the flattering about Touch Africa but was pleased with Terry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a royal screwing from Terry about 9 years ago. He sponsored a hunt at the Tri-Cities SCI banquet with Kevin Thomas as the PH in RSA. Kevin Thomas gave me a great hunt, no problems there. When I returned Terry told the taxidermist on the RSA side to hold my trophies and bundle with the other clients for the season. I DID NOT want that and kept trying to retrieve my trophies. Terry said not to worry and stopped returning my calls. I contacted Kevin and he talked with the taxidermist, who would not ship because Terry told him to hold until all his clients finished for the year.

10 months later my trophies finally shipped with the others. Kevin confirmed they were ready to ship at 5 months. Meanwhile, my capes all rotted and arrived with pink mold. From my first safari only 3 capes out of 9 were able to be used with heavy airbrushing. It was just nasty when I saw my items at the bottom of the shipping crate, molded and slimy. When I talked with Terry he said it wasn't his fault, it's the taxidermist, so what was he supposed to do? He offered nothing and told me that's just too bad. Then he stopped taking my calls. I saw him the next year at the Puyallup sportsman's show and he acted like he didn't know me.

Yes, it was an auction hunt, but Terry was the booking agent and I added 3 days to the hunt through Terry. He also handled the airfare and payments. So I trusted him as my agent, and he treated me like dirt once he had his money.

My advice- if you don't rely on Terry at all, you could have a good hunt. If you need any help or support, he's not who I'd use. He may represent good outfits, but he doesn't represent himself well.

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sally's Dad:
I got a royal screwing from Terry about 9 years ago. He sponsored a hunt at the Tri-Cities SCI banquet with Kevin Thomas as the PH in RSA. Kevin Thomas gave me a great hunt, no problems there. When I returned Terry told the taxidermist on the RSA side to hold my trophies and bundle with the other clients for the season. I DID NOT want that and kept trying to retrieve my trophies. Terry said not to worry and stopped returning my calls. I contacted Kevin and he talked with the taxidermist, who would not ship because Terry told him to hold until all his clients finished for the year.

10 months later my trophies finally shipped with the others. Kevin confirmed they were ready to ship at 5 months. Meanwhile, my capes all rotted and arrived with pink mold. From my first safari only 3 capes out of 9 were able to be used with heavy airbrushing. It was just nasty when I saw my items at the bottom of the shipping crate, molded and slimy. When I talked with Terry he said it wasn't his fault, it's the taxidermist, so what was he supposed to do? He offered nothing and told me that's just too bad. Then he stopped taking my calls. I saw him the next year at the Puyallup sportsman's show and he acted like he didn't know me.

Yes, it was an auction hunt, but Terry was the booking agent and I added 3 days to the hunt through Terry. He also handled the airfare and payments. So I trusted him as my agent, and he treated me like dirt once he had his money.

My advice- if you don't rely on Terry at all, you could have a good hunt. If you need any help or support, he's not who I'd use. He may represent good outfits, but he doesn't represent himself well.

With that, I would avoid him like the plague. There are just too many honest booking agents out there, several who occasionally post here.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If your client was concerned I am sure that he would pick up the phone and give me a call. It has never been a problem in the past when he and I have spoken. I am available for him to speak with.

Just to set things straight he is booked for a 14 day hunt not 18 days.

There is nobody getting ripped off here and I appreciate everybodys comments.

Posts: 2 | Location: Orting, Washington | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a helluva good time with Touch Africa Safaris on my hunt with them last year. I probably had more fun on that hunt than any other I've ever taken.
I am planning a 2013 return.
Terry was an excellent booking agent with whom I had perfect dealings.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your guys replies. I have managed to get the outfitters contact details via his Brother whom owns Collett's Wildlife Artistry, and everything seems fine and organised. Thanks for your comment Scottyboy, if you think highly of Touch Africa and Terry Wagner then thats good enough for me. As to Terry, hope you did'nt take this post the wrong way, i have my clients best interests at heart and was just really struggling to get the outfitters direct contact details from you, even once the deposit was paid.

Onto another topic, there seem to be a helluva lot of dodgy dealings going on in Zimbabwe with regards to hunting amoungst the obvious which i have no interest in being part of, so just wanna dot my i's and cross my t's so that i can sleep easily at night.
Regards

Murray

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, good luck to your client. I've since hunted with Claude and Gerry at Mafigeni, Karl Stumpfe, and Andrew Baldry (Fairgame.) All of whom are great PH's that I booked direct, 2 from AR references. I still cringe when I hear Terry's name and get a bitter taste when I look at the few salvaged mounts from my first trip to Africa.

Hopefully he's changed, sometimes people do. I'd rather kiss a puff adder being ridden by a baboon spider. Best of luck.

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had very good hunt in June this year with Touch Africa Safaris and Jonathan Collett was my PH.Great hunt and lodge,I never booked through Terry so can't comment there.I would hunt again with Jonathan any time.I hope you have a great hunt.

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Jonathan in 2006. Great people and great lodge. Will be hunting with Touch Africa again next year (says it all!)

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote