Find
Notify
Tools

Air vs. ocean freight for trophies?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
I know we had some recent threads about Coppersmith et. al, but wanted to get feedback on forum members experiences/decisons regarding using air freight or ocean freight? Your input and thoughts are appreciated.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of time versus cost.

The biggest delay (99%) is getting the trophies dipped, disinfected, crated, and to the shipping agent on the African side.

Transport does not take much time at all. Shipping by sea adds weeks to the total.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:

The biggest delay (99%) is getting the trophies dipped, disinfected, crated, and to the shipping agent on the African side.

Transport does not take much time at all. Shipping by sea adds weeks to the total.

George

George-I used ocean freight the last time, and it took 2 1/2 to 3 weeks for them to arrive. To me it was worth the 35% savings over air freight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeh416Rigby:
quote:

George

George-I used ocean freight the last time, and it took 2 1/2 to 3 weeks for them to arrive. To me it was worth the 35% savings over air freight.

Mike,

shipping out of where to where

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of problems that developed with mold on ocean frieght or rather I have been told of such by several clients...???

I will stay with airfright at any rate.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

The ocean freight deal through Fauna and Flora / Safari Air Cargo only works for completed taxidermy, raw trophies must go by air.
Ocean cargo provides considerable savings over air cargo though. But shipping to Texas might offset the savings.

But, when I last spoke to Fauna and Flora they were attempting to put together a similar deal for raw trophies - but I've not heard if it was working yet. But it would be worth a call {718-977-7700 Mr. John Meehan}

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeh416Rigby:
quote:

George

Mike,

shipping out of where to where

I used Safari Air Cargo in Johannesburg to ship my finished trophies to Flora and Fauna in New York. Then the shipment was delivered to my home in Pennsylvania by a trucking company.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
mikeh416Rigby,

I did the exact same thing. I used Flora & Fauna and SAC, along with Life-Form Taxidermy.

My crate, which was the size of a compact car, arrived for the promised cost and on time and my trophies were in perfect condition.

All this at much less than what air freight would have cost.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually I used air freight, but i did use ocean a year ago for a large shipment that the taxidermy was done in africa. The shipment had 4 large crates (things like a lifesize croc) anyway the bill for air freight would have been 9000 and by ship it was 3000. It wook a month to the day to get here and everything came through in perfect shape. I would not hesitate to do this again, especially for 6000 On hides only I believe I'll still use airfreight just because I believe the big difference was the size and weight of my shipment. In anycase the ocean freight came out of port elizabeth to chicago arnie at westgate did the import/broker stuff.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I spoke with some folks at ABX and was told that while ocean freight was cheaper, there were several additional fees charged at the port (I started thinking about the recent posts regarding mysterious fees). I have asked for quotes both air and freight and will then make a decision. Thanks again for the input.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Flora and Fuana, I went the ocean route, I think it cost me about 1300, plus a couple of hundred for something else. I can't remember but it saved me about 400-600 or so if I remember correctly over air freight, didnt take much longer. Its my understanding it quicker to get through customs by port as opposed to airport in some cases, but I may be mistaken.

I would use Flora and Fuana again with no problems, nice people. Can't remember the freight companies involved.

my stuff came from Safari Taxidermy in Petersburg (sp) SA. It was one big crate with sholder mts two Kudu (one Kudu was ped mount), one Wbeast, one impalla, Zebra rub, several back skins and several pictures etc I think my Taxidermy bill was about 2100, mounts look good.

If I did it again I would go the ocean route

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote