Notify
Tools

Black Rhino warning
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A Heads-Up On Black Rhino Hunts
(posted January 10, 2005)

In last month's issue of The Hunting Report, I warned you that all sorts of offers to hunt black rhino in Namibia and South Africa may start emerging in the run-up to the major hunting conventions. I went on to warn you to be leery of all such offers, as neither country has formally allocated to anyone the right to hunt a black rhino.

Well, an apparent offer to hunt black rhino has indeed emerged. It is from a company in Namibia called Kuzikus African Hunting Adventures. I call the company's offer "apparent" because it does not come right out and say a rhino hunt is available. What it says is the company is "going to market" the three black rhino that the Namibian Government has declared as game animals. It goes on to give a price for the 16-day hunts as $32,000 (US), plus a 17 percent surcharge (VAT and NTB levy) on daily rate and other extra charges. It further states that the hunts will be given to the customers who offer the highest trophy fees. "Momentarily, the highest trophy fee offered is $46,000 (US)," the flyer says. "Make a bid now for a black rhino bull!"

On receipt of this flyer, we immediately contacted Kuzikus African Hunting Adventures and asked point-blank if the company had the rights in hand to offer these hunts. The answer that came back from Dr. F. Reinhard reads as follows:

"You are right that the allocation of hunting rights of black rhinos will be done later this year on an auction. What I state in the flyer is that Kuzikus is going to market these hunts by finding suitable clients (highest proposals of trophy fees). I am not stating that I have got the hunting rights yet (which I hope I shall get). The reason for this flyer is to learn what my clients are prepared to pay for such hunts."

It is not clear from the flyer that Kuzikus intended to collect deposits on these hunts, and my assumption is the company was doing just what Reinhard says it was doing - that is, trolling the market ahead of time to decide how much to bid for a black rhino hunt. I fully expect other such offers and apparent offers to emerge in the weeks to come. As you read them, or have them presented to you on the floor of a hunting convention, my advice is to be careful. And, for now at least, keep your wallet in your pocket. - Don Causey, Editor/Publisher.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Thanks for your thorough inquiries. Nice job any time.
In this pricing, I am out of my depth (save senile dementia) .
Even so, 46 000$ is the cost of an ele hunting. When Marco Polo sheep was believed to be rare, one had to pay about 100 000$.
IMHO, such a rarity like a Black Rhino would meet 100 000$.
Am I right ??
I hope I contract senile dementia. Roll Eyes
Receive my attentive respects.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Kathi, thanks for the heads up.

I would expect at least one of the South African B. Rhino hunts will be auctioned at the SCI convention (probably by KZN Wildlife) and my guess is that it will sell for somewhere between US$150,000 - US$200,000.

Big money by anyones standards.