THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Difference between SCI and Dallas DSC?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference between SCI and Dallas DSC?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All,

I'm new here. Hope you veteran hunters can tell me about the differences between SCI and Dallas DSC? Pros/Cons?

I mean not only the convention, but the organization, conservation eforts, etc? I'd like to know why you belong to one or the other.
Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a couple of searches and it seems to be a controversial topic.

If you are involved in neither, is there a north american or international wildlife conservation organization that you prefer to belong to? Thx.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I'll just say DSC, but I'm a bit biased. I have helped out with, and bought hunts from, my local, SCI chapter.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(DCS Member) ... meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.
(sic) animal

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find the Dallas show to be hunter-oriented, casual, easy to get to, and affords the opportunity to arrange a short hunt with friends for Hogs or Exotics after the show at one of the many ranches down there. I look forward to it every year.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Crickets. Interesting.

I'm a member of both and don't have a favorite. I go to the SCI show most years - it's bigger than Dallas and has a different "feel" than Dallas but not one I'm prepared to say is "better" or "worse" than Dallas. Just different. I go to the Dallas show occasionally and enjoy it. I've never gone to both shows in the same year.

I go to the shows primarily to see my friends and people I've hunted with in the past. I enjoy the "seminars" at the SCI show - the times I've been to the Dallas show there have been fewer of those. I wind up "shopping" at the shows more than I should. I always come home with a bunch of stuff I didn't really need.

The publications are both OK - nothing spectacular but I read and enjoy both.

As far as conservation goes I couldn't tell you. I did recently participate in SCI's Blue Bag program and found that very rewarding.

I'm not really involved in either organization to any degree - shame on me. But that's also probably why I have less opinion about whether one has advantages over the other than people who are more involved than I am. I can tell you I've heard "rumors" about each organization from people who ARE more involved than I am, but I'm not passing any of that along here because I have no idea what's true and what isn't.

Bottom line is, as far as I know they aren't at cross-purposes with each other, so we're blessed to have them both. The cost of membership is not high for either one, so I would encourage people to support both of them.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
You have come to the wrong place to recieve an unbiased opinion of the 2 organizations. I have been a member of SCI for a number of years and know nothing at all about DSC but what I have read on this forum. Judging by my impressions from this forum, SCI is a horrible organization that does nothing for hunters and DSC (which I percieve from this forum to have been formed by disgruntled SCI members) does nothing but great things for the hunter and produces a show that is cheaper and better presented than SCI does. I have been to one SCI show and no DSC shows so I cannot make a fair comparison except to say I was very impressed with the SCI show but will probably not go again. I have no desire to attend the DSC show.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been to both shows and am a member of both organizations. Several people here have objections to SCI so don't be surprised if you get a negative reaction to it. The SCI show is restricted to SCI members while the DSC show is open to the public. The SCI show is much larger than the DSC show. Both shows have essentially the same offerings: outfitters, booking agents, suppliers of safari gear, taxidermists, firearm manufacturers, jewelers, and fur coat and art purveyors. SCI just has more. Virtually everyone that you see at DSC will be at SCI plus more. Both offer auctions of hunts and equipment, again SCI offers more.
If you are interested in booking a hunt, either show will suffice. If you are interested in a spectacle, SCI stands out.
There is a very popular meeting of accurate reloading members at DSC including a dinner. I believe that there have been attempts to hold an AR meeting at SCI.
Enjoyed both, not sure which one I am going to this year.
Oh yeah, DSC is in Dallas in early January and SCI is usually in Reno in late January, but this year is in Las Vegas.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC is best because it's .8 miles from my house Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I recall to the best of my memory, a disagreement between the founder of SCI, C.J. McElroy and the SCI Dallas chapter caused the Dallas chapter of SCI to withdraw and go independent. At the time SCI Dallas was the largest and richest of the SCI chapters.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That split occurred about 40 years ago.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I like DSC because they fed me. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been to both shows. So my comments apply only to the Shows, not to the Orginizations.

DSC has moved into a new building reciently and it has become much larger and less crowded in the asiles. Dallas is a lot friendlier, and a lot more laid back IMHO.
It is also much more affordiable to go to Dallas.
All the Vendors that I know, and I know a LOT of them much prefer Dallas.

SCI is a much bigger show. There will be more large company people, gun companies, ammo companies etc. at SCI vs Dallas. Most World wide Hunting companies that go to Dallas Go to SCI. SCI is more expensive to attend. You must join SCI and the daily fees are quite a bit higher than DSC.

This year SCI will be in Las Vegas, so as a Vendor we do not know what to expect in regard to the show site.

Basically, I would say that DSC, in Dallas is well worth the Money. Go there and stay all 4 days of the Show.

If you are not on a budget, then SCI is a bigger show, at 3 or 4 times the price for admission.

No matter which show you go to, come by the Heym Double Rifle Booth and introduce yourself.

Just ask for NE450No2. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunter 54:I admit I am biased, I am a member of the DSC board of directors and co-chair of the 2012 DSC Convention, Out of the Wild; I have not been to the SCI show, but am going in January. As a board, we have a grants budget of over $700,000.00 this year to support conservation and involving youth in the outdoor sports and will likely grant more. PM me with an email address and I'll see that you are sent info as to how we support conservation. The DSC convention is also a good place to meet some of the AR members, we made a meeting room available for AR members use last year, I was able to put faces to several of the AR members names because of this. And Judge G's reason to like DSC is as good as any...see you in January Ernest.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. Thanks all.