Notify
Tools

Buff vs. Hippo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
With the two threads here on buffalo and hippo I'd like to ask (out of curiosity) you to compare and contrast the two as two of Africa's big game that are somewhat reasonably priced. Advantages and disadvantages of hunting both? Price, success rate, etc. I've shot both and will ponder your thoughts. What say you? With hippo, should the new term be the Big Six?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Cal-

Hippo is commonly considered one of the Dangerous 7, along with Croc. It is often substituted for the Rhino as a "new" Big 5.

Like you, I have killed both (multiples of each) and have almost had a safari vehicle turned over by a Hippo at night and had another Hippo charge out of the water and chase our safari vehicle during daylight. That one gave the trackers a thrill, as he kept coming. Whereas most Buff will run away, IME, I have found Hippo very willing to charge under unprovoked conditions.

Since most Hippo are taken in the water and usually only wander inland at night, it is difficult to compare them from a hunting standpoint. Hippo, like Croc, demand an accurate shot at a small target that can be difficult to locate; between the eyes works every time.

My SIL hunted for a Hippo on the Zambezi last September, after he had his Buff and I my Ele, with no luck. Hippo were there but the bulls had been hammered earlier in the season.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot so many of both, but, there is absolutely, positively, NO WAY of comparing hunting buffalo with hunting hippo.

You go and HUNT a buffalo.

You go and SHOOT a hippo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot anywhere as many of either as Saeed, but my experience mirrors his statement.

Price wise, I think hippo is much less expensive, but then that is doing it as an add on for some other DG (cat) hunt. The TF's are lower with hippo.

Having said that, the only big animal I have lost was a hippo, and that was due to poor shooting.

Posts: 10971 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to shoot one on land but, hope it does not take up to much safari to to get in that position.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hippo that is

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
It is almost time for me to tell the hippo story about my friend who got chomped, and got written up by Peter Hathaway Capstick, then telephoned Capstick late one night from Chicago to South Africa to correct the story.

According to my PH, who knew the facts, neither version was accurate. jumping

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what story would that be?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Cal

Buffalo and Hippo are different animals and require different hunting tactics.

Both have there pluses and negatives and it comes down to what do you really want to go after.

Dry land hippo are usually taken from what i have been told are in the heat and with dry conditions. water holes are shrinking and animals are congested making some bulls out and about near the water holes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One unique aspect of hippos is how beautiful (eye of the beholder) the tanned hide can be. Not so much on old scarred bulls, though. My wife wants to shoot a satelite bull or old un-scarred cow (if legal) for the hide for furniture, and meat for local villagers. Will probably do this in the Caprivi, unless US F&W lifts the ban before our Moz. hunt this summer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only hippo i have shot was taken as lion bait. i didn't think much of it at the time, but as the years pass the more I think of it. Granted it isn't like buff, or leopard, or ele or lion for that matter, but finding a really big one and the whole process thereafter is ceertainly one to be remembered

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
With the two threads here on buffalo and hippo I'd like to ask (out of curiosity) you to compare and contrast the two as two of Africa's big game that are somewhat reasonably priced. Advantages and disadvantages of hunting both? Price, success rate, etc. I've shot both and will ponder your thoughts. What say you? With hippo, should the new term be the Big Six?
Cal

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have shot so many of both, but, there is absolutely, positively, NO WAY of comparing hunting buffalo with hunting hippo.

Cal I too have shot both, and in general terms Saeed is spot on! In most cases one simply shoots Hippo once a real trophy bull is found. If one is looking for a real hippo trophy hippo bull, he must look at a lot of bulls before he pulls the trigger. In that type of hippo the HUNTING is just a valid as HUNTING a real trophy buffalo.

In most cases a PH will simply take you to a place where pod rests in the water in daylight. He then picks the best one he sees there at tells the client to shoot that one. In that case hippo is simply a target as Saeed says.

Then there is finding a hippo pod in late daylight, locate the trails where they come back to the water and you come back very early the next morning in just breaking light, and walk along the shore to catch hippo on land coming back to water. In this case the hippo who believes you to be between him and water will charge anyone there. In this case the hippo is a very dangerous animal, and shooting one here is definitely not target shooting.

My best hippo sported a pair of 28 inch main fighting tusks, but we looked at a lot of hippo before we found him, though he was shot standing on a sand bar he did not know we were there so I guess you could say I just shot him, and you would be technically correct, but we did a lot of hunting before we found him so I consider him HUNTED.

On the other end of this, I have taken buffalo that were never aware of my existence before the bullet slammed into his heart, still anyone here would consider that buffalo HUNTED.

All of the above is simply my personal opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it!

..................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I can't get too excited about hippo hunting. It just doesn't trip my trigger so to speak. No judgements being made about others however. It's just that I'd prefer to spend my money elsewhere. Some situations would call for taking one however, such as bait for lion or (less likely) leopard.

I've taken exactly 1 hippo. It was a bit of a different experience from most as described here on AR. My hunt was in RSA and was conducted back before PAC participation by clients was suspended. My outfitter had a good friend on the Parks Board staff who called and told of three hippos that were escaping the Kruger Park each evening to raid the farmers sugarcane fields that were actually separated from the park by the park fence. Their policy was to eliminate any of the animals that escaped the park due to overpopulation.

So, we, our hunting party and 3 Parks Board Officers, went into the sugarcane fields on three different nights, armed with spotlights and big bore rifles, looking for hippos on land!! Eeker We finally found them on night three. It turned out to be pretty exciting there in the dark among the cane stalks, and there was a lot of shooting once we located them. I would gladly do this type of hunt again if the opportunity presented itself, but simply sniping one while coming up for a breath of air really doesn't do it for me.

Night hunting for hippo on land, with the game wardens :

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

My experience as well....

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Until the tables are turned and then the hippo is a formidable opponent. To date I have had three very nasty experiences with hippo and they are to be treated with the greatest respect.

Admittedly most hippo are sniped from a distance.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I refuse to shoot hippo in the water.
It's shooting for sure.

Mozambique 2009 Hippo hunting

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Boko on land can be every bit as fun and tricky to hunt as nyati. I very much like hunting them both, but hippo on land only!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13616 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote