New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rowland Ward or SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering which scoring system most African hunters prefer, Rowland Ward or SCI. I'm not real familiar with either, but I understand that they are different in the way the animals are scored. Anyone have any opinions?
Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rowland Ward, I am from the old school.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Most PHs will refrence bench-marks for scores in RW terms.

IMO I suspect that SCI probably receives more entrys annualy and is a more comprehensive formula of accurately measuring the trophy.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone provide a link to how to measure for RW?

Posts: 1521 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

What do you want to score, they measure the length of the longest horn or antler. Some trophies like wildbeest and cape buffalo score the width

Any questions, I'm a offical scorer for R&W

Their web site: http://www.rowlandward.com

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Blue wildebeest from the other active thread.

Posts: 1521 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I believe the minimum RW measurement for blue wildebeest is 28 1/2 inches. This is the greatest width outside at right angles to the axis of the skull and in a straight line.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
One PH told me the SCI measuring system was set up so that "those who wish to see their names in print can do so, without meeting the minimum requirements of the true measure of a trophy as in RW!" roflmao

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R&W has been around for over a century and it has its prestigious startes in colonial England and is the standard by which much of African trophy history is based in. It usually takes pure length of one horn or weight of one tusk as the entry criteria. It does not take into consideration circumference as a criteria. A one horned or tusked animal can make it in.

SCI has strived to get more hunters into the book by having criteria that takes both horms length and circumference into the total measurement. It is harder to assess in the field due to more factors. Both are well accepted trophy standards.
R&W on first blush is harder to meet the minimums than SCI. SCI breaks down trophies into Gold, Silver, and Bronze classifications based on where they fall in the book.

Both are reputable trophy organizations.

I am proud to have entries in both. Fewer in R&W than SCI.

Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RW for sure as I believe their entry criteria strongly encourage the taking of older animals. Further, I love the idea that one can shoot a 60" one horned kudu and make RW while some hypothetical "hunter" embracing the SCI methodology would let him walk.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I asked this to a lot of old timers like the boeros brothers from my town and whose names were a lot of times in rw and all the old hunters concluded that the rowland ward is the best ,i consulted 20 hunters of more that 50 years old the yougers here dont know anything about rw.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
One PH told me the SCI measuring system was set up so that "those who wish to see their names in print can do so, without meeting the minimum requirements of the true measure of a trophy as in RW!" roflmao

When you look at the standards I find your quote easy to accept.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you care if your trophy is even in a Record Book? Maybe Saeed is right. "Just see your name in print?"

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Does R&W or SCI allow for anonymous entries?

The reason I ask is that one of my pet peeves is that B&C won't allow it. I value the record books as a reference material, but find the whole idea of "seeing your name in print" or the competitive aspect of it so distasteful that I will not enter my own trophies. I feel like a hypocrite (ie. reading and using the books, but not entering my own trophies), so I thought a compromise of entering the trophy anonymously would alleviate that. Unfortunately, B&C will not allow it, so a hypocrite I remain.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I believe the books are very important because it will give you the information of the trophy and where was taken,furthermore i strongly believes that the prize system of the sci like for example pigs and peccaries of the world ,or prizes to diferent weapons is very important becuse the hunter will work in different terrains from the desert to the snow from the plains to the mountains to complete the number of animals ,this will make the jaeger a more complete outdoorsman,its the same with the different weapons like rifle ,handgun,bow and spear or knife ..juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To amplify on Canuck's point, who really is going to look at those entries other than the person that enterted the trophy? Both systems have inherent flaws as do their American counterparts. In the end isn't it just an ego thing?

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
I believe the books are very important because it will give you the information of the trophy and where was taken,furthermore I strongly believes that the prize system of the sci like for example pigs and peccaries of the world ,or prizes to diferent weapons is very important becuse the hunter will work in different terrains from the desert to the snow from the plains to the mountains to complete the number of animals ,this will make the jaeger a more complete outdoorsman,its the same with the different weapons like rifle ,handgun,bow and spear or knife ..juan

I will agree with that also. I have my share of gripes with SCI, but their scoring system is well thought out, and very comprehensive. The various slams and inner circles require a wide range of hunting experience, and it does give credit to the animal by scoring everything that it "grew", length of both horns, base measurements, width, etc. Personally, I would think that a kudu that had two 60 inch horns should score higher than one that had one 61 inch horn and one 56 inch horn, and the hunter who has hunted all the spiral horn antelopes probably has a better all around hunting experience than the hunter that has shot 10 buffalo and nothing else. Also, I know that a lot of people check out the record book other than just the people with their name in it.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote