New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A Fair and Just Death
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've only killed 2 Buffs, but my experience is that a good 350X in the right place puts them down in a hurry. One died instantly, and the other ran a few yards. Insurance was used on both, but was not required. I would keep shooting as long as the Buff was up in view if they had not gone down right away.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I advise my client that once they've hit the buff with the 1st shot thay should keep shooting all the while they can see the Buff and it's safe to do. A few extra bullet holes won't spoil the Buffalo skin..... but one bullet too few and the Buff just might spoil my skin.

Then I like to wait at least 15-20 minutes before starting the follow up, if he's dead then he's not going anywhere and if he's not then it gives him time to stiffen up and slow down. From my personal experience a wounded Buff won't go far unless he's chased. Once we find the Bull he gets another dose from the client if he's still on his feet or showing any signs of life. If he's down and still, The client & I approach from behind (I do this with ALL game) with our rifles to the shoulder and the safeties off. Then we stop at about 5 yards and the tracker throws a couple of rocks..... if nothing moves the tracker then moves in and twists the tail REAL hard.... if nothing moves again, he backs off (client stays at 5 yards to cover my ass) and I slowly move in (ensuring the client has a clear view at all times) and touch the eyeball with the muzzle of the rifle.

If by then nothing has shown signs of life the crew move in and we take photographs etc. Any sign of life at any time means the Buff gets whacked again. Once the animal is gutted etc I am sure it's dead.

All this approaching from the front front and posing for the video cameras before you're SURE the animal is dead is for suckers and wannabe movie stars. Me, I'll stick with being cautious..... but I was taught to be cautious many years ago.

posted Hide Post
The old "hit'em hard on that first shot" is ever so true with buffalo. After that, do as your PH says, as much comes into play, according to circumstances. Did you break a shoulder? Is he clear from your present vantage point? Are there others in front, or behind? What's the next round .. a solid? Did he take off at the shot, hobble off a bit and stop, or did he just hunker-up and stand? Has he recovered? ... and looking around? Does he have any idea where you are? How far off is he? Unless you've got the experience and presense of mind to instantly assess such things, better listen up, so you might discuss the finer points at dinner.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In my experience, even with a solid heart shot from a Class III rifle, a buff will sometimes take many minutes to die.

A second shot is always in order, and should be fired, if possible, immediately after the first (this is where doubles really shine).

More shots than two may be called for, again if possible. And a final insurance shot to the spine of the fallen animal is generally a good idea, unless he's obviously and completely dead.

It's hard to believe, much less understand, unless you've done or seen it, but buffalo are incredibly hard to kill. Even when mortally wounded with a good first shot, they can sometimes soak up a lot more lead before falling down dead. And waiting before following up is good, but remember that not all buffalo bellow prior to giving up the ghost.

I can tell you from personal experience that it's disconcerting, to say the least, the first time you see a cape buffalo bull take multiple hits in the crank case from a 6,000 ft. lb. rifle without showing any signs of distress.

So, yes. Keep on shooting. These ain't your daddy's whitetails.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
A second shot is always in order as soon as it is safe to do so.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See my sig line.

I think you should shoot until it's dead, unless you're hunting only for meat, and there's no way the animal can escape you.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Texan... shoot til its dead. less chance of him killing you that way, and my wife would be very unhappy if I widowed her at age 25!

I don't have enough ego (or skill) to worry about "one shot" claims.

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I'm not quallified to speak about Cape Buffalo...Yet. I would offer this thought. If a killing shot to the vitals is delivered, I believe a hunter should allow the game to die. I think more game that not is pushed much more often that most would admitt.

I hessitate to put human feeling in use when talking about game. I think in terms a "diginifed death" a soild hit to the vitals is more befitting a old warror Duga boy than to be shot-up like a practice target.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote