New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania timing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys think is the best time of year to take a trip to tanzania?
do they have a dry/wet season

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
notlim,

It all depends on the area you plan to hunt. Masailand, the Selous, Western Tanzania all may have a little different prime time as the enviroment and amount of rain fall vary greatly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where your hunting in Tanzania and what your hunting. In the Selous the later you go the better as the water dries up, the plains have been burned and new grass is coming up. The animals congregate at the available water and are not scattered and thats a plus. The plainsgame comes to the available water as do the buffalo and elephant, the cats follow the prey.

The downside is its hotter than hell, miserable to many hunters and most get their game when ever they hunt.

July is considered by some a bad time but I like it. Its the coolest season, the grass is high (that apparently bothers many hunters) but I like hunting in the tall grass, I have shot my best buffalo there and it adds to the excitment of buffalo hunting and ranges are close enough to carefully place a bullet.

A good compromise is to hunt Sept. and Oct.

In the Masai the hunting gets good where we are in Oct.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
In the Selous, the conditions during the last two weeks of October were excellent.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All the answers you've had have been pretty much right, but you also need to factor in the fact that the hunting is at least partly dependant on local rainfall..... and the last two years the Selous for example has had abnormal rainfall and therefore the hunting in many areas was different to normal. (If there is such a thing)

Last year, the rains came very heavy but very late - in fact in some areas just kept coming and many concessions never got their areas fully burned at all...... As an example, at the start of the season the area I was hunting was full of Buff, but we couldn't get a shot at them as the bush was so thick. Eventually, I shifted them out of those areas and into the long grass...... it was very close hunting, but it worked. Wink

The year before, the rain just didn't arrive the way it should have done at all and that also made the hunting difficult......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
I love the long grass in those huge vugas, its cool, no flies, and I have always shot my largest buff in there. Richard Lemmer and I bumped into a hippo while chasing buff at a dead run, Richard ran past him first and I litterly ran into that sucker, I stiff armed him on the nose with my left hand and went into overdrive leaving the area to him. I think he choked to death in my dust.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray, I bet you had a bucket full of adrenaline going after that!

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, Ray, I'm very glad to see you posting again.
I all ways look foward to your posts.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray,

I saw Richard yeaterday as it happens. - A good man.

Like you I like the thick stuff and went into it the long grass with one client last year and we took a Buff at 4 yards....... Wink Neither of us will ever forget it!