Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dangerous game in the states!
 Login/Join

posted
While southern Florida's "crocodylus acutus" is rather docile for a crocodile, the local alligators often give cause to lock ones's doors:

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A slightly larger gator, though not obvious in the photo:

There are crocs in South Florida however, and I have seen them in the 14' range, and heard of bigger. BTW, wild turkeys will go through windows too, but since it's not intentional I shan't call them DG. Key Deer are nothing more than white tails that have adapted to a limited food supply. Weight range is approx. 40-65 pounds though there are variations of course. Folks on Big Pine Key where most are found have been feeding them and they prosper from that. They are a bunny hugger's delight, a geographical abberation, but nothing else. They won't even bring you the paper on rainy days.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judging from the elevation of the gator photo it could also be in Georgia on one of the rivers. The first picture looks like a Florida phosphate pit but the second could be a river or old pit that has partially filled in. The only place I can think of in south Florida that has the elevation could possibly be the Caloosahatchee river which has some high banks. It's awfully tough to size a gator from a picture without a known reference. Regardless of what everyone thinks not all deer are dog sized in Florida depending how they have been fed. Anyway that gator got himself a nice snack.
Ralph

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote