Find
Notify
Tools

Horns & Thorns...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
[URL=
These are the skulls at the taxidermist's. All mature animals. They are all going to be head/shoulder mounts.

[URL=

For those of you that have not been to Africa yet; these are the famous (infamous?) Wait-a-bit Thorn bushes. The spikes are up to 2.5" in length.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Nice looking set of trophies. Congratulations.

On the thorns, those are nasty sure enough but I am not sure whether they are wait-a-bits. Wait-a-bits have a wonderful little hook tip that means to unsnag yourself you actually have to go backwards to get the bastards out of your hide. This looks like buffalo thorn.

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Like Mike, I've always thought the "wait-a-bits" were the little opposing hooked thorns like the acacia brevispica.

What's important is that it looks like you had a very good safari and took some very nice trophies. I've never seen a Caracal (outside of a cage), you're lucky.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies Rich. Congratulations!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies!

On the thorns they are a real bitch. I have many scars from them, seems I can all ways find the thorns even if there is only one in a square mile area.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies..

thorn bush in the pic is called monkey thorn (at least that is what I was told it was called!)... the bush that was shown to me and called wait-a-bit bush had a hooked tip.

When I was living up there, I broke off a monkey thorn between my cuticle and nail in my middle finger deep into the meat(I remember we were gathering wood for a 4th of July braii w a bunch of clients). I had to go to the Dr. in Ellisras 3 days later to get lanced and removed. It was PAINFUL..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice close up photo of a wait-a-bit that buried itself in my forearm and then broke off.
That was fun digging it out.

None of you gentlemen got a Camelback thorn I take it? Wicked to be sure.

We were 100K northeast of Ellisras, a small town named Steenbokpan.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your hunt,Idaho.A real nice kudu.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Rich...sounds like you had a great time Wink

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Richard,
Nice trophies and congrats, You can see I'm a newbie via my posts, so excuse me but is it this forum's etiquette for one thread per animal? I think I would like to post some of my own.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3542 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, no. I am photo challenged, and my nephew (in an attempt to aid me) did the first two animal photos separately.

After you have been here awhile you will understand that ISS does some things a bit, shall we say, "different". I can't explain it, things just turn out oddly from time to time for me.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I had 7 stitches in my bottom right lip while in South Africa in 2003 because of those dirty little buggers while riding in the back of a bakkie looking for mountain reedbok late one afternoon. I didn't see the branch coming, due to the direct sunlight, and by the time that I saw it, all I could do was duck, close my eyes and hope for the best. Here's a pic of me with the stitches a couple of days later with a great springbok.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Actually, no. I am photo challenged, and my nephew (in an attempt to aid me) did the first two animal photos separately.

After you have been here awhile you will understand that ISS does some things a bit, shall we say, "different". I can't explain it, things just turn out oddly from time to time for me.

Rich

If I have a trophy room that I think is ok can I post it here as well?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3542 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a specific forum for trophy rooms.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Great looking heads Rich. Welcome home and congratulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is neither a wait-a-bit(wag 'n bietjie) nor a monkey thorn ... it's a White Thorn (Witdoring). The roots of this tree have medicinal uses. A wait-a-bit has hooked thorns (swarthaakdoring ... blackthorn) and is more a bush than a tree. A monkey thorn has hooked thorns but broader than a wait-a-bit, and it's a tree. Then there is the umbrella thorn, with a characteristic flat top, that has long straight thorns paired with small hooked thorns..

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies and a Cardinals shirt---I approve!

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go ISS, welcome back. I see the tracking dog is still on the job in the pic, those guy's never stop.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your trophy wall will look spectacular! clap

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, nice going. I have wanted a caracal since my first trip but three trips later I have yet to see one.

I did get to experience those thorns a few times, the worst one being when I jumped off the truck to follow my daughter on a stalk and landed right on a broken off branch of thorns. One was just postioned perfectly to go through the bottom of my boot and fairly deep into the bottom of my foot.

I also got to watch our PH get one caught in his nostril as were watching a steenbuck in the bush as the truck was moving and he turned his head back just in time to get caught.

It damn near took him right off the truck! rotflmo

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote