New
Find
Notify
Tools

first safari....a few questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi gents, a few quick and simple questions for those who have been-there-done-that.

Is a rangefinder a good idea to bring, or will the PH have and use one, or are shots generally short enough not to necessitate one? I'm thinking northern Namibia/Caprivi.

Insect repellent...does DEET work on African bugs? Does anything?

Shooting sticks...I'm doing a lot of practice here with my own homemade ones. Should I buy/make a set of takedown sticks to bring with me, or just use the PH's set? Once you have the technique learned, does shooting off different sticks make much difference in POI? Carrying a couple of broomhandles all the way to Africa seems like an insane notion, but some articles I have read indicate to do so.

Does anyone carry a daypack while hunting? I don't think I've ever seen one in a trophy picture. At home I almost always have a small pack with camera, first aid, socks, sweater, water, lunch, etc. Crazy idea for Africa? How else do you carry water, at least?

Do you bring along a bunch of (heavy) batteries for cameras, etc., or just buy them at the airport when you arrive? Again, I'm trying to pack light.

Finally, at least for now, the question of guncases. It looks to me like I could get everything I need for this trip into a carry-on bag, a multi-pocketed vest, and packed into a Tuff-pak along with my rifles. In addition to one pair of boots that I wear flying, an extra pair of runners and all my clothing and gear seems to fit with room to spare. Thus I have to check only one bag, i.e. the Tuff-pak. Am I missing something here? I am constantly reading about difficulties in extra baggage charges and inability to pack all the required or desired gear, and yet all sources warn me to pack light. Is all clothing, gear, and firearms in one piece of luggage not a good idea?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinions based on two plains game trips - Zimbabwe and Namibia.

1. Rangefinder - bring it although you may not need it.

2. Inspect repellent - bring the DEET - can also get good products there.

3. Ask your PH what he uses - probably best to use his.

4. Daypack - I use one.

5. Batteries - bring a reasonable quantity - do you really need that many??

6. Bags - verify the policy of your airline. Some require the ammunition to be locked in separate bag from the rifle (also checked since you obviously can't carry the ammo onboard!!).

Good luck on your trip - don't forget to post a complete report here after you return.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Rangefinder -- I have not taken one and did not miss it, although I relied on the PH to guesstimate and also tried to get closer whenever possible

Insect repellent -- I have just used the Avon combination sunscreen and insect repellent, but although I have been in tsetse areas it was not during a heavy infestation time

Shooting sticks -- I have just used the PH's, which were Long Grass on one trip and locally-sourced on another. If you will be more comfortable using your own, get some take-down sticks and put them in you TuffPak.

Daypack -- I keep a backpack on the truck with extra things but only carry a few items in my pocket or on my belt. Everyone is different but I can walk further if I am not loaded down.

Batteries -- I take what I think I will need (one extra battery or so plus a small 12-volt charger to use in the truck). I would not count on buying what you need unless you are in a major city.

Guncases -- I have always taken two checked bags plus one carry-on with my cameras, electronics, and enough clothes/toiletries to hunt if the others get misplaced.

I have only been over twice, but my experience is that everyone has their own opinion on most of these matters.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You might want to research each of your questions here on AR. They have all been covered extensively and there is plenty of information in the AR archives. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, but I have been there 3 times: Aug/Sep, Jun/July, and Sep., and have hunted in Zimbabwe and 7 different concessions or properties in South Africa from the Limpopo river to East London.

I brought a rangefinder on all trips, but didn't really rely on it. I sight my rifles 2" high at 100yds and -6" at 350yds. Not much need for the rangefinder at those distances. On my second hunt, I traded my rangefinder to the landowner/PH in the Free State for a Mountain Reedbuck Smiler. The longest shot that I've taken in Africa was 348 yds last year on a Gemsbok with my .375 Ultra Mag, and we didn't range him until after the shot.

On insect repellent, either I've been lucky or I was there at the right times, but I've yet to see a mosquito in Africa, and I haven't been bothered by flies either.

Your PH will have shooting sticks so I see no need to add that hassle of bringing your own.

I think most American hunters in Africa (myself included) carry TOO MUCH STUFF while hunting. I usually have a day pack with alot of extra stuff that I leave in the truck, and I wear a small fanny pack with stuff that I think I really can't live without. I suprised my PH last year when I pulled a needle and thread out of my pack to sew closed a large exit hole in my Black Springbok so it wouldn't show in the photos. Another day my Tracker's bino strap broke, I pulled a small piece of parachute cord from my fanny pack, and he fixed his strap. When I hunted Common Reedbuck in KwaZulu Natal a not so good first shot resulted in a footrace in the tall grass. My fanny pack with camera, etc was bouncing too much so I gave it to my PH (he later thanked me as then he didn't have to run with us) so I could keep up running with the trackers to catch the Reedbuck.

I take one extra set of 4 AA batteries for my pocket camera and one extra (9v size) for my Nikon. I've never needed more.

For the trip over there I have a 2 gun aluminum guncase, a check-in suitcase, and my carry-on day pack. Most guys take too much stuff.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

This subject has been covered here but it is always interesting to see what people find necessary for their safari.

To answer your questions:

If you are hunting in the Kalahari area or in the swamps somewhere from a blind you might find a use for a range finder. Generally speaking you will not need one as the shots will be under 200 yards and quite often you will not have time to range the animal.

DEET works and a combo product of bug dope and sunscreen is very handy.

If you have your own sticks bring them. Your PH should have no problem letting you use what you are used to. It might save him a follow up or two on a wounded animal.

A day pack is good to hold your gear in the vehicle. I don't carry one in the field in Africa. The crew will carry water and a video camera if you wish. I carry a small digital in my pocket. Actually the guys will bring your whole pack if you want but you won't need it.

Cameras with rechargeable batteries can be recharged off the hunitng vehicles cigarette lighter by bringing a small charger.

Don't plan on putting your ammo in your gun case. Some airlines require it to be in another piece of checked luggage. Get clear on this well before your flight. I would try to pack a carry-on with one change of hunting clothes and wear clothes you could hunt in. If you do loose your luggage you still can hunt.

My final recommendation is to let a travel agent that is familiar with African travel and travel with guns arrange your travel. Gracy Travel or our own Kathi Klimes are experts on safari travel. Also as self serving as it sounds I'd recommend using a booking agent to set up your safari. You can't know how much you don't know about the safari process unless you have been there.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The only thing I will add to the advice above is that with the limits on baggage weight, it is very easy to go over them with a Tuff-Pack if you fill it. When leaving Dar last Sept, I was 5 lbs over( 2 1/2 kilos) and the young lady at check in made me rearrange items in my bags (even tho some of my other bags were considerably under weight) until the Tuff-Pack was under 50 lbs. Granted we had two rifles but one was Mrs. Blacktailer's Kimber which weighs less than 7 lbs.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
If you use a rangefinder at home then bring it to Africa. It will also help you confirm target range when you check your gun.

If you are going to a place that has daily laundry service. You need bring very little clothing.

Bullfrog Mosquito coast sunscreen/repellent works good here. I would bring some of that with me. It doesn't sweat off like most others I've tried.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted Hide Post
I'm excited for you and your first trip. For me, half the fun of the safari was the "getting ready". If you haven't had a read of T. Carr's packing list and preps, it's worth a look. Here's an external link, since I can't seem to find it here any longer:
http://www.scilowcountry.org/safari_tips_and_packing_list.htm

As for taking shooting sticks, don't bother. The PH will certainly have a pair. But, after finding that my rifle shot to different POIs depending on which kind of sticks I was practicing with, I started shooting with my hand in the sticks versus the stock. That yielded 100% consistency, and peace of mind since it's tough to know what your guide will have. If you wear a fingerless glove on your off hand, it will cut down on any recoil related bruising as well. Just my one way to skin that cat. There are surely at least 999 more.

Have a great time. It probably won't be your last!

Best Regards,
Stuntpilot

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you haven't had a read of T. Carr's packing list and preps, it's worth a look. Here's an external link, since I can't seem to find it here any longer:
http://www.scilowcountry.org/safari_tips_and_packing_list.htm

Terry's Tips and Packing List is in the Africa - Reference and Information area.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some good advice here.

My experience is that Deet is good and one should take it with.

TuffPak weight is a problem ... watch it!

Take you own sticks. There are many different kinds. Loaners may be VERY different than the ones you've practiced with.

Pack at least one of your rifles in a soft gun case inside your gun case. Use it in the gun rack of the hunting truck to protect your rifle from the rack ... saves the finish a bunch!

I'd suggest taking some OTC roll-on antihistamine sticks. Great for things that bite and sting. On a Tanzania hunt in 2006 one of the trackers disturbed a hornet's nest and one PH and two trackers got nailed multiple times. The antihistamine REALLY helped!

Rangefinder is optional. Probably no need for a GPS.

Take spare rechargeable batteries for the camera and a charger. Some can be charging while you're hunting. Take lots of memory cards and distribute your pics on multiple cards just in case one fails.

Almost everyone takes too much ammo. If your wife is going split the ammo between your luggage and hers. That way if one bag is lost you don't lose all of your ammo.

Take a simple cleaning kit. I took bore snakes to just clear the bores but I did not expect heavy rains.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote