New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect Hide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yesterday I watched Boddingtons show and they were hunting Namabia for among others Mt Zebra. The young man hunting with him had just returned from a tour in Iraq and he took a young Mt Zebra. Craig said how nice it was with out any scars. I found it interesting that when it comes to Zebra most people seem to want an unscared trophy, but want to take old horned trophies. I want my Zebras to be old stallions. I have one in my office on a pedistal and the right side of his head is all scarred up from breeding fights. To me this is great and as I tell people you can tell he was right handed, which makes for interesting conversation. It is like the old Warthog with the one tusk worn down.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
The part where CB tells the hunter the nice unblemished skin (read young one) is desirable, are salesman talk to me, propably because they shot the wrong one... If you want to make a trophy of your zebra, like flat skin or a mount of any sort, I would also prefer the scarred skin. However, we cull zebras from time to time, and then we try shooting younger ones for the better skins, which end up on Ottomans and in curio shops.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Well said Karl!

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have heard of people wanting an unmarked skin for a rug but mine was a scarred-up stallion and I am happy with that. Character in trophies is a good thing.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Some want clean some want scars. Doesnt matter as long as YOU like the one you take.

I personally like the clean ones.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
Doesnt matter as long as YOU like the one you take.

I certainly can't argue with that.

Well put.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old Zebra Stallion had a deep scar on one flank, that according to the PH was from a Lion swipe. Of course I agreed with him, and it makes the story all the much more exciting from now on, true or not. All the trophys are cherished, however remembering the animal in life, the stalk, the shooting with my reloads from an old favourite rifle, then all the hassle of getting all that stuff back intact and it actually being my hide with the scar from whatever cause, is special. I would certainly not swap it for the perfect hide. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
phurley5 I agree. My first zebra stallion has long scars on his flanks presumably from a lion and it does make an impressive story when you tell people where those scars come from.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Granted the tales of scars from lions makes for good stories. However, I tend to like to rattle a few cages. Therefore, when I get mine back from the taxidermist, I plan on telling anyone who asks about the scars "Oh, that's just where the jockey was hitting it." Big Grin

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Next month I will be in Namibia looking for one of those pretty mountain zebras without the shadow stripe.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote