Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Hydro and buffalo - Pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

.458 Woodleigh Hydro, 450gr, 2160 fps in 20" .458 Lott

Shot through top of shoulders (buff was on the ground by then, but trying to get up), angled towards ribcage. This is a dense mass of muscle several inches thick. Entry wound on hide was twice as large as my standard solid holes (they are usually one caliber in diameter with flat noses).

Some eight to nine inches through the muscle, this is the inner part. Massive wound channel, as you can see. Bullet continued through ribs, and got lost somewhere inside (maybe a vulture is having some difficulties evacuating, right now...).

Woodleigh Hydro, performed as advertised...

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an impressive wound channel!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I've never used them. The PH's at TGT in Tanzania spoke very high of them though.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, pretty impressive wound channel. I've been meaning to give the 375's a try for accuracy.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting info and photos. Very useful. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hydro's work as advertised. I shot a water buffalo bull with them in the Northern Territories in 2014 using an A Hollis .500/450 NE double. They flattened the bull in short order and all exited.

My prediction is that they will become more and more popular in years to come as people realise how effective they are. As a bonus they are safe to use in old rifles as well.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The second pic and round looks like it has a CEB bullet seated.

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with that re the second photo,
Thats not a hydro!!

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The second round was put there for scale, that's all I had in my pocket when I took the picture. Yes, it's a CEB, but as you can see it's unfired - so it has nothing to do with the hole in the meat... Cool

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
great bullets BUT they are so ugly! Roll Eyes

Good Hunting
carl Frederik

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone done a mould for a hard cast bullet like the Hydro? Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
I like your thinking!!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
I like your thinking!!!

I bet any mold maker will be happy to make you one.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt and Saeed, I think I will do it for my .577 NE. I am already set up with a cast 700 grain wide meplat for buffalo in April, so it will be for 2017. I will post when i do it. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weren't Woodleigh going to reduce the weight of their H-Ss, and experiment with a plastic sabot to ease feeding from a magazine? African Hunter magazine carried a couple of very positive stories on them a few years ago.