New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun reliability
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi:Anyone have any opinions on the Mauser 66S reliability as a dangerous game rifle? Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You meen appart from the fact that Ian Henderson carried one Wink

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure who Ian Henderson is but are they a good gun or ?

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm going from memory here but if it serves me correctly, they made the 66 with the telescoping bolt and the 66S was a single shot.... I might be wrong on that though.

If your referring to the telescoping bolt model, I seem to remember it was originally designed as a sniper rifle for special services and the only reason they stopped making it was that they couldn't make money on the production.

Of the few I've seen, they're helluva good rifle and extremely reliable and accurate..... probably expensive even now though.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
There were (are) bolted versions 66S and 66SP (match barrel).

See:

http://www.mauser.com/Model-66-S.169.0.html?&L=1

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mouse..... for some reason I thought they made a single shot version but guess I must have been wrong.....

As far as the telescoping bolt version goes, I always liked 'em very much and from what I remember, they had a very good reputation for reliability and accuracy.

Alf Smith is a real rifle fundi (esp Mausers) and he'd be one of the best people to ask but I haven't seen him post here for a loooooong time.

If you can't get a definitive answer here, you might try www.mausercentral.com

Hope that helps.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought. Here you go:

General info:

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn45-e.htm

Single shot (3rd post down):

http://www.mausercentral.com/f...iewtopic.php?t=18254

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
NP - here is a detailed insight into 66 models - scroll down to Model 66:

http://www.pmulcahy.com/bolt-a...erman_ba_spr_m-z.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian Henderson was a famous PH from Kenya who was made famous by traking down so many of the Mau Mau terrorists...Funnily enough he moved to Rhodesia when the Mau Mau took over Kenya Wink

Henderson & Marsh; Rossalyn Safaris and Robbie Robertson were the first three licensed safari operations in Rhodesia...

It is a push feed, telescoping bolt, small magazine capacity rifle that was used by one of the best PH's ever.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
There are a few of the M66 floating around here in Aus and they do have a good name for them selves but the fact that they have a lot of moving parts (similar to the new Chapuis) could lead to problems if not well maintained.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
If I'd already have one I'd use it anytime - it is a well thought out design - however if I'd be looking for one...give me a M98 please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mauser 66 and 66S (modified Safety) were pretty much in fashion during the 70/80s by European hunters who travelled, a lot of 9,3x64 have taken African game. They were available in a large variety of calibers including 300WBY/375/458. Ver yoften 8x68S has been chosen. It was an expensive rifles and quite innovativ, The 66SP was the sniper version of German GSG 9 fame.
Unfortunately in the 90's production has been stopped. Used guns are available on the market and are still used with no problems. Some models must be looked after in the bedding area, but apart from that no major problems, even new aftermarket triggers are around.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunbug:
Hi:Anyone have any opinions on the Mauser 66S reliability as a dangerous game rifle? Dan

The only one of the 66 Mausers that makes the grade for dangerous game is the Mauser 66SG "Big Game" It has a 25.6" barrel weighs 9.3 pounds, and is chambered for 375 H&H, and 458 Win Mag. The USA designation was the "Model 660 Safari" made form 1971-73 and SRP was $1295 USD extra barrel assembly sold for $300 USD, and is a push feed rifle!

Though I'm a Mauser fan,the fan base stops at the end of the Mod 98 CRF bolt action!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
this one passed through my hands a few months ago in 378 weatherby no less. i think it went for 4000 $ in the end.

i think i found a piece of eyebrow and forehead in the scope Smiler Smiler

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I think they are wonderful rifles, dont know that dangerous game rifles differ that much. I have seen CZ 550's (regarded on here as a fine DGR) game and have many problems. My cousins Mauser 66 in a 308 has functioned smooth and without flaw for the last 8 years that I have hunted with him. Parts are a bear to get and scope mounting is funky, but the action is damn smooth and feeds and functions flawless.

I'm not getting into the push feed--CRF debate but I'll tell you My blaser and Mauser M03 feed without flaw-- EVERYTIME-- they might not be your cup of java but they work and work well. I think what makes a good DGR is if your comfortable with it, you check the rounds that your using ahead of time to make sure they feed and function, shoot, and practice with your weapon of choice. THis has a whole lot more to do with it than does it have a claw extractor.

I'd say if you found a nice Mauser 66, take it out feed some rounds thru it, and make shure that it shoots good, and wanted to put up with a gun that is out of production. I say go for it!!!!!

Most DGR I know about are push feed any way--HK 91, AK 47, M16, MP5... You got folks shooting back at ya!

Just my 2 cents!!!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned two Model 66 rifles. The first was in .308 and it kicked miserably. It was a horrible rifle for recoil. So in my infinite wisdom I sold it for $180.00 in about 1976. Well I bought another one in the late 90's in 30:06 and one trip to the range reminded me why I sold the first one. I immediately sold that rifle. Well I just returned from a PG hunt in Namibia the other day with ErdenHunting. The PH used a Model 66 in 8x68S. He loves the caliber but I think is lukewarm on the rifle. His has been reblued twice and looks like it has seen a lot use, which it has. Another problem is the safety. It's clumsy and some are noisy. With the bolt handle moved so far forward it slows down the operation of the rifle under pressure. Frankly I'm a sucker for a lot of these German rifles. However, this one is a little over-engineered. They get the job done, look interesting, but there are many more rifles out there that will accomplish the task that kick less and handle more fluidly.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You to all for your info. Dan