New
Find
Notify
Tools

How good are Mark Sullivans videos?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the market for a good African Hunting video. I see a lot of ads for Mark Sullivans videos, but they seem a bit expensive. Are they worth the money?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you turn the volume off on the Sullivan videos, at least you can see how a charging buffalo behaves. More importantly, you can see that it is relatively difficult to get them to charge. It looks like they must first be gutshot, pursued and harassed, and then approached to a close distance. There are exceptions to that, of course.

If you run the Sullivan videos with the volume on, they are quite boring.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra4570:
I am in the market for a good African Hunting video. I see a lot of ads for Mark Sullivans videos, but they seem a bit expensive. Are they worth the money?

Ezra4570,

Depends on your preference. Mr. Sullivan likes to provoke charges and wait until the last few feet to fire. Some think this is exciting..others think it is foolhardy. Personally, I enjoy his videos even if he is a bit melodramatic. At any rate, he is a controversial and colorful character! Keep your eyes peeled around the classifieds...I bought, watched, and resold 2 Sullivan videos recently. You can do a little better than full retail! Welcome to AR!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
They are great if you like watching someone pester and provoke a charge out of an animal that otherwise has only getting away on his mind.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For entertainment value only I like them. I find the dialogue obnoxious. The cinematography is great. As a "HOW TOO" most would agree they give people completely the wrong idea of how things are done on safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed watching all of them.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching them but get tired of the Sullivan speech about letting the animal choose how it is going to die. Clearly the animals are wounded and provoked.

One has to admit he is calm under pressure.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pass on Sullivan and buy Boddingdon's or Flack's videos. Also, if you are considering a hunt, contact Adam Clement and he will send you a couple of excellent videos.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
They are exciting to watch but as a few posters stated earlier, turn the volume down.

I get sick and tired of listening to MS tell "How the animal will chose to die" and after every kill, "In my Professional career this has to be the most exciting animal I've taken" He is right about "him" taking it!!!

As dogcat said above me, Adam Clement has some really good ones.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch one with the volume up and then happily watch another with the volume turned down. They are interesting to watch, but it gets repetative.

To see good hunt footage that is more intructive and founded in reality try Boddington On Buffalo. His leopard video is not quite so good.

Another one I like is by "Big Bore Production", I think and features a hunter named Mark. Most of the hunting is with PH Barry Stiles of Buffalo Range Safaris in Zim. I think the name is "Death by Double Rifle" and it features the hunter and quite a collection of nice double rifles being used.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
big bore productions is owend by mark bucannon i talk to him often and im helping him sell his 577 wesley richards double.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boddington's videos were mentioned and I have to differ with JPK a bit...Craig's leopard video is excellent. I thought just the opposite in that his buffalo video wasn't as good as the leopard video.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sullivans's whole "I allow the buffalo (substitute hippo, etc.) to choose his destiny" schtick is a load of shit.

I like the Capstick videos and I have Adam Clement's new videos and they are very good. Also, get on the list for Saeed's videos.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I like Sullivans videos but feel like the rest that they are melidrmatic.

When I show them to a non-hunter they always tell me they never thought of hippo or buffalo as dangerous, until they see that.

I like the European Hunter's Video line, and like Boddingtons, Big Bore, Safari Video, and most of the rest.

I think the worst part about all of them is the price. Most are $40.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I like the videos of MS and i like action movies the true is that if you see them just as an action movie they are great but you will not learn anything from them .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed the earlier ones which I have seen.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They should be REQUIRED watching for EVERY PH AND AFRICAN HUNTER.

Whether you agree with his methods or not, IF you are CHARGED, his technique is the only thing that will save you.

If I had not seen his videos, and used HIS TECHNIQUE, there is no doubt I would have been KILLED or at the very least seriouslly injured by a Gorilla in 2004.

I suggest you watch his videos in the order they were filmed. If so you can see how he learned [out of necessity] and perfected HIS technique.

He has become radical no doubt.
But think, in the history of MAN how radicals have advanced knowledge.
Look at early explorers, [what the world is not flat???], the Wright Brothers, the first person to jump off a barn with an umbrella or a sheet.
All radical in there time.

What better way to figure out how to stop a charge than to go out and be charged????

And SURVIVE.

WHAT!!! You are going to replace a defective heart with a "good" heart from a dead person????

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
His Technique ?? bewildered
When the buffalo charges he shoot them in the head..I saw a friend of mine doing the same thing a couple of years ago , and he never saw one of his videos before...I will tell him that next time he must shoot them in the knees to avoid royalties...

You must shoot a wounded animal as soon as possible, walking around to put yourself a couple of meters infront of the poor beast is just pushing the animal to charge...and after doing that silly thing, waiting to have it closer to avoid missing and aiming in the head is not a technique is just common sense..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Let me ask everyone this, do you think a buffalo (or hippo) will punch MS' ticket one of these days?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Let me ask everyone this, do you think a buffalo (or hippo) will punch MS' ticket one of these days?

No, he is not brave enough to follow them in thick grass.

He only follows those that would offer good filming opportunities.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

clap

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
They are exciting to watch but it leaves me w/ a feeling that I should be cheering for the buffalo or hippo to win the conflict. Anyone that allows a wounded animal to suffer for the sake of film footage should be used for leapord bait IMO. I look forward to seeing Boddingtons' DVD on buffalo.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Saeed, I think you nailed it.

I don't recall what video it is, but what sealed my opinion about MS was when he was filmed kicking dirt with his boot at a hippo(?) trying to provoke a charge. That showed zero class in my opinion and showed me his true intentions - his own glory and selling "exciting" videos.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I realy want to see the last video he makes

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote