Hunting lottery
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
So...

What species would be offered on this hunt if it were to come to a realization??

What would you suggest?

Have not thought about it much but probably something like Hippo, Croc, Puku, Kudu or Waterbuck and Bushbuck. Possibly hartebeest or hyena. I could do an option on Buffalo but we have a small quota and normally reserve them for the cat hunters.

Whilst in Zambia a Kafue Lechwe is obviously recommended and therefore this would take this to a ten day hunt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
So...

What species would be offered on this hunt if it were to come to a realization??

What would you suggest?

Have not thought about it much but probably something like Hippo, Croc, Puku, Kudu or Waterbuck and Bushbuck. Possibly hartebeest or hyena. I could do an option on Buffalo but we have a small quota and normally reserve them for the cat hunters.

Whilst in Zambia a Kafue Lechwe is obviously recommended and therefore this would take this to a ten day hunt.

Andrew,

I may be way off-base here, as I am not completely familiar with the costs and quotas involved, but would a 7 or 10 (if needed) day hunt with Roan as the featured trophy be possible? To me - Roan, Puku, and Cookson's Wildebeest would be the ultimate Zambian PG hunt, even over the Lechwes and Sitatunga.

Just some food for thought and as I said earlier, I'm not sure if this would be a realistic "package", so to speak.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zimFrosty:
My apologies
I should have added that there are only 500 tickets in total.
Fees etc include accom, PH, etc etc.

Many of you will certainly know some of the participating operators such as Shangaan Hunters, Mokore Safaris, Roger Whittal Safaris, Forever African Safaris , Leon Du Plessis , etc etc

The operators and PHs are supporting the raffle by providing camps, lodges , staff , etc etc so the winner has a wide selection of who to deal with.

zimFrosty,

500 tickets = $62,000. I would not want to profit over my advertised fees. A fair proportion of our company profits are dedicated to AP and I do not expect others to pay for my expenses if you see what I mean?

Think it best not to go the charity way for now.

FairGame
The Save Raffle is intended to raise funds for the Anti Poaching unit. The funds are not going into anyones pockets and will be funding a cause which is close to most of our hearts.I guess you are saying that because the anti poaching unit covers The Conservancy, then the land owners should be footing the bill. They most certainly do and every single one of them contributes significantly to the programme. However you must also take into account that costs are growing all the time as poaching gets bigger and bigger. The Conservancy therefore needs to meet the costs accordingly. The alternative to this is either giving up the fight, or finding new ways of earning funds for the cause. As you know poaching is a massive problem in Zim , so the raffle is intended to support this cause and at the same time give someone a chance to win a really great trip . ......I have bought a couple of tickets and am holding my fingers crossed until it is drawn

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinotguy:
quote:
quote:
So...

What would you suggest?

Andrew,

I may be way off-base here, as I am not completely familiar with the costs and quotas involved, but would a 7 or 10 (if needed) day hunt with Roan as the featured trophy be possible? To me - Roan, Puku, and Cookson's Wildebeest would be the ultimate Zambian PG hunt, even over the Lechwes and Sitatunga.

Just some food for thought and as I said earlier, I'm not sure if this would be a realistic "package", so to speak.

Maybe try and raffle two plains game packages the Roan being somewhat more expensive than the other?

Note we do not have Cookson's but could add on Kafue Lechwe to the above.

Black Lechwe works out very expensive because of the cost of charter.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
My apologies
I should have added that there are only 500 tickets in total.
Fees etc include accom, PH, etc etc.

Many of you will certainly know some of the participating operators such as Shangaan Hunters, Mokore Safaris, Roger Whittal Safaris, Forever African Safaris , Leon Du Plessis , etc etc

The operators and PHs are supporting the raffle by providing camps, lodges , staff , etc etc so the winner has a wide selection of who to deal with.

zimFrosty,

500 tickets = $62,000. I would not want to profit over my advertised fees. A fair proportion of our company profits are dedicated to AP and I do not expect others to pay for my expenses if you see what I mean?

Think it best not to go the charity way for now.

FairGame
The Save Raffle is intended to raise funds for the Anti Poaching unit. The funds are not going into anyones pockets and will be funding a cause which is close to most of our hearts.I guess you are saying that because the anti poaching unit covers The Conservancy, then the land owners should be footing the bill. They most certainly do and every single one of them contributes significantly to the programme. However you must also take into account that costs are growing all the time as poaching gets bigger and bigger. The Conservancy therefore needs to meet the costs accordingly. The alternative to this is either giving up the fight, or finding new ways of earning funds for the cause. As you know poaching is a massive problem in Zim , so the raffle is intended to support this cause and at the same time give someone a chance to win a really great trip . ......I have bought a couple of tickets and am holding my fingers crossed until it is drawn

zimFrosty,

Sorry what I am trying to say is that I am not really interested in raising money for another cause and rather extend the participants the best possible opportunity in the raffle.

I did suggest earlier that some money go to some schools that we support but have had a change of heart as this is another of our responsibilities and really it is not what people are bidding for.

No need to tell me about poaching and we are currently head to head with some very hard case characters here. Recently one notorious fellow was captured crossing back into Zambia from Zimbabwe. And without his passport.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Any Agents out there willing to give this a shot? You still take a commission off the daily rates. Like I say this is not about charity.

I have yet to put my proposal to Saeed but we have had a chat about it and he is quite happy to let me proceed with the initial construction of the idea.

Hypothetically:

This opportunity could be advertised under the AR hunting section? and could go something like this:

Each AR member publicly posts the number of tickets they require, and they can purchase for non members but note members are liable for payment. This initially would be a gentleman's pledge or a Texan handshake as such. The first posting is ticket number one etc and the purchasers name beside it.

For example Lane is first off the block:

Ledvm 6 = (#1-6)
His mate Obama can only afford one 1 = (#7)
Obama's mate Hilary can afford 10 = (#8-17)

That post has 'bought' 17 tickets. The second post asks whether he can reserve one ticket (#18) but can only pay in 2020. He is deleted and #18 goes to third post etc.

When the required number of tickets have been 'sold' the raffle closes at that post and money is then asked to be transferred under a dead line.

Here we might see some problems and it would be a shame for the raffle to fail just because of a few who do not cough up?

Or alternatively I would employ ISS as our debt collector?

How to do the draw? Any thought here?

What I am thinking is the hunt is for two hunters sharing which betters the odds. To cover my expenses I would then add an observer fee into the package, additional hunting license and dip & pack - this then is a two hunt package basically for the price of one and an observer fee.

I am not including international flights as this again increases the cost of the raffle.

THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXAMPLE ONLY.

2 Days on the Kafue Flats including two Kafue Lechwe tags.

7 Days in the Luangwa sharing Hippo, Croc, Puku, Kudu, Chobe Bushbuck, Impala, Warthog and Chacma baboon.

11 - 12 days allowing for transfers.

Other trophies required (with the exception of Lion, Leopard and Roan) will be at the winners expense or the above mentioned animals can be exchanged for other species of the same price? For example Hyena for Bushbuck. Kudu for Waterbuck and an extra Impala and baboon.

Looking at my 2010 price list my rough calculation is that this package will total $35,000 including all trophy fees, 2 dip & pack, transfers and camp tips, hunting licenses etc. Basically no hidden costs.

The only costs incurred per person would be airfares ($2,500?), entry visa ($150), hotel accommodation (optional), freight charges for trophies (optional), taxidermy (optional)

Therefore each ticket could be priced at $200 remembering this is sharing ($100 per person) so half this for only 175 tickets. That's not bad, if my calculations are correct?

If trophies are not to be exported then this money (D&P $1,500 each) can be used to purchase additional trophies or go towards airfares?

What say you? And really I am only interested in some constructive advise here and remember we are trying to offer those at AR who could not afford such an opportunity a better than slim chance to experience hunting in raw Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Another thought?

Nganga here just sold his Ferrari and is feeling charitable, he decides to buy ten tickets which he donates to the raffle. If one of his donated tickets comes up he then publicly chooses a winner from the list of participants?

That is called charity and I am sure there are some out there who would follow suit?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Fairgame
Please dont get me wrong . I am all for the idea and think that it is a good one. Sorry if I seemed objectionable, that wasnt my intention at all.
I am sure that there are many members of AR who would be keen to participate(myself included)

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fairgame
Please dont get me wrong . I am all for the idea and think that it is a good one. Sorry if I seemed objectionable, that wasnt my intention at all.
I am sure that there are many members of AR who would be keen to participate(myself included)

No worries mate. Do you have a first name?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Fairgame

No worries mate. Do you have a first name?

Duncan frost ...at your service sir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame,

Just form a non profit corporation for Wildlife Conservation, Save the Pigmies, Schools, or whatever. Have the non profit buy the hunt from you and offer it to the public in the form of a lottery as a fund raiser.

Voila

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Fairgame,

Just form a non profit corporation for Wildlife Conservation, Save the Pigmies, Schools, or whatever. Have the non profit buy the hunt from you and offer it to the public in the form of a lottery as a fund raiser.

Voila

Can anyone else help out here as I would want to distance myself from the finances and draw for obvious reasons.

I would have to run this by my other partners but full payment could be made to us AFTER the hunt thus further securing this deal?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be advisable that the raffle income exceed the actual cost of your hunt and the excess funds be donated to the established charity. Photo op, have a School kid draw the ticket and announce to everyone how much money was donated to the the school, etc. That way the non profit would avoid too much scrutiny.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
It would be advisable that the raffle income exceed the actual cost of your hunt and the excess funds be donated to the established charity. Photo op, have a School kid draw the ticket and announce to everyone how much money was donated to the the school, etc. That way the non profit would avoid too much scrutiny.

Thanks for the advice but rather just keep it above board?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is keeping it above board. Non profits are supposed to do something with the money over and above their costs. Giving the excess to some cause would be exactly what the non profit was designed to do. You could accomplish two goals, one to allow someone to have a hunt they couldn't afford and second give something meaningful to a local school, etc. No slight of hand, just doing what the law expects.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What BEGNO suggests is a way to make it work if you were running it in the states. (profits going to an outside source, and a stated way of drawing the prize that has no connection with the outcome or winners)

You would need to run it by some of your local legal beagles to make sure there was no problem over there.

Even so, the winner would have to pay any tax bill that it would entail- conceivably up to 50% tax rate depending on income and location. (although if you are of modest means, likely much less).

I can see the advantages for escrowing the money, but to be honest, if I didn't trust the PH, why hunt with them- especially in a deal like this. Also, it would likely be difficult for you do do this without a US partner -which would set them up for legal scrutiny.

My suggestion would be to run it over there, probably using whatever local attorney you use for your company affairs as both counsel for making sure this meets Zambian law, and the escrow agent.

I applaud you trying to do this with minimal expenses for the hunter.

Chuck Butler

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal