Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott for one gun Saffari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted
I was contemplating taking my Lott on my plains game hunt in Namibia. I originally purchased it for a Buff hunt in Tanzania for 2008 but have since changed my plans. I really want to take this rifle to Africa. Would this rifle be ok if loaded with 350 or 450 grain projectiles? The only big animal I might shoot is a Giraffe. I can shoot this rifle very well.

I was told by an acquaintance that a .300 Win Mag and a .300 RUM are not preferred for Giraffe. This was from his first hand experience.

I also have a Ruger No1 in .338 Win Mag or a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM. That I can take.

I am taking a 7MM-08 Rem for my kids and wife to shoot. I can shoot the 7MM-08 as well.

What do you experience African hunters think.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend you take your .458 Lott. Load either the 350-gr or 400-gr to approximately 2500-2600 fps. (I would opt for the 400-gr because of sectional density0.

Africa is about enjoying your experience.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I would vote for the 450gr'ers, either NF SP or the Swift A-Frame.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave the Lott at home and save it for animals worthy of it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you do it, you will need to keep your shots to 200-250 yds. at most (which is a good rule of thumb anyway - although Namibia does sometimes offer longer, 250-300 yd. shots that you would need to exercise the will power to pass up).

I, too, would opt for the 450 grain bullets. They will give you good penetration (.300+ sectional density) and can be driven to 2,400-2,450 fps with no problems in the Lott.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think its too much of a gun and there are better choices....A 338 WM in my opinion would be ideal.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you a gun nut? I mean, do you eat, breathe, and dream about rifles and loads ? (I plead guilty to that)
If not, try the 458 on the range; have a friend load regular cartridges plus one dummy. Then you shoot at 6 inch targets at 100 yds
If you score good hits, fine take the 458. If you are all over the place, do yourself a favor and take a 300.
myself, i took a 375 H&H + a 270 win for my first combination safari. After extensive practic, the 375 proved so accurate that I used it for everything, with 100% success.
On the last day, my PH wanted me to take a mediocre impala for control reasons. I use the 270 for the first time,aimed behind the right shoulder, broke the left shoulder (no exit), and claimed the goat after a half mile chase.

y motto is" use MORE than enough gun"

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I reload all the time. Off the bench the Lott shoots basically one hole with 450 grain North Forks. Off my sticks the groups are around .700 to .900 inches at 100. I have not shot the rifle past 100 yards yet. That is next weekend’s trip. I know one of the biggest dangers will be having a clear area behind my target animal. Pass-through's are a given on most plains game.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Will, you really do like that gun, don't you? I say take it, it'll serve you fine and I know you shoot it great. I think it'd be great for zebra, eland, giraffe, kudu, waterbuck - all with the 500's and anything else with the smaller projectiles.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
You obviously like to shoot the Lott and are proficient with it, so take it and hold your shots to ranges you are comfortable with.

There is nothing wrong with being overgunned if you can handle recoil and shoot accurately at 100 yards or more.

For me, though, I don't like being banged around when the size of the animal does not require it, and I shoot best with recoil in the .300 Win Mag and below range.

The .270, 7 mm Rem Mag, most .30 calibers and the .338 are appropriate for anything you'll be hunting in Namibia except maybe giraffe. I haven't shot a giraffe, but I've taken every antelope from eland to grysbok with a 7 Mag and a .300 Win Mag.

Shot placement is more important than caliber, in my mind.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
With any rifle I think it is a good idea to find a range with a 200 yard or longer target area. Try your Lott at 200 yards off the sticks, if only to verify the point of impact with your loads.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Lottfan:
.....I really want to take this rifle to Africa.....I can shoot this rifle very well.....

I think you answered your question right there.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

A 458 Lott should work for everything; I use mine on rabbits.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Put me in the bunch that would take the lott. You will have a lighter gun with you and the lotts are too much fun to leave at home.

I have used my 458 by Al Biesen (converted to Lott by Roger Biesen) on two safari's and have shot 9 plains game animals out to 200 yds with it.

This black springbok was at that distance and facing me. At the first shot (a miss at 100 yds) he ran off and then stopped to look back -

You shoot your rifle well and you like it - thats all the reason I would need to pack it up.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
take it 350 xfb at 2600 will work greatif you love it dont go without it if you are notso hot on it get a 375 hh or 338 win would be perfect.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Will: You've spent the money on it, getting it where and how you want it, now take it! LeRoy would be very upset if you didn't. And, of course, pics will be mandatory!

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I took my Lott and my .375 H&H on my first trip and shot everything but my eland with the Lott using 500-grain bullets. Game ranged for 15 yards to 245 yards and covered the size range from impala to buffalo. If you enjoy your Lott and can shoot it well, take it.

If buffalo are not on the menu, see if you can get some of the old 400-grain Barnes-X bullets and if they will shoot in your rifle, they should serve you well. Otherwise, try 350-grain Barnes-X, 350-grain speers, or 400-grain Swift A-Frames

Have fun,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is your safari, take what you want to take, The Lott is not ideal for plainsgame nor is it necessary, but that is not what its all about, so take it and have fun, if you miss out on a huge Kudu or Gemsbok because of range, the world won't end, have fun and let the other stuff slide...Take two rifles, most folks do.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the positive input. I am defiantly going to take the Lott! I think it would be great to crumple a Giraffe with it.

I will have the effective rage figured out over the next couple weekends.

I will absolutly do a hunt report after I get back. I have spent many hours poring over so many great reports that have been shared on this site. Many I have read more than once, a true treasure trove of information.

Here is the only kill to date with my Lott. Pre, Canyon Creek Stock. 140 yard prone shot across a settling pond at a dairy. Hit him a little back and high. Took out a 1.5 inch hole in his spine. 500 grain Hornaday Soft, factory

[URL= ][IMG]

Semper Fi and Safe Hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi 458LF:

Take the 458 Lott, I shot a huge Giraffe with a 300 RUM, high neck shot at lil over 100 yards. He dropped like a rock, but got back up and took 7 more shots to keep him down.

There skin is like 1.5 inches thick and they can take a pounding. I have mine shoulder mounted, beautiful animal.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very handsome rifle! Cool

Very flexible rig with the illuminated 1.5-5x20.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em Will. Figure out that effective "rage" and then put the "rage" to work on some animals in Africa! Wink Make ol' LeRoy proud with your new Canyon Creek rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
458lottfan

You mentioned that you're shooting NF bullets and you reload, would you care to share you're load. Enjoy your trip let us know how it went when you return.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lott +1! If you love to shoot it (as I do) take it and show us your trophies. No it is not an ideal plains caliber (a big Duh here...) but within its range limitations it will put them down! I LOVE to shoot ground squirrels with my Lott and taking African game with my Lott (DG or not) would rank high on my want to do list.

If you can shoot it well and it adds to your experience I say go for it.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 458 Lott can kill any animal in the world. I think it is an excellant choise.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote