THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Old school Hornady 375 Bullets Still Getting The Job Done.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old school Hornady 375 Bullets Still Getting The Job Done.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted
I used Hornady 300 grain round nose soft points in my 375 on our recent Namibian hunt and they worked fine. Longest shot was on a Mountain Zebra at 325 yards, and the shortest was 60 yards on a Gemsbuck. The Eland was at about 90 yards. They all went down without much bother.

My wife used a 7x57mm loaded with Swift A-Frames to hammer a Gemsbuck. It worked fine. Pased through the boiler room and dropped it.

See the details in the Hunt Report section of this forum.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Interlocks or Interbonds?

Nice report, BTW.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Interlocks.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in 2000, on my first hunt in Africa (it was in South Africa), I had a .375" 300 gr Hornady RN Interlock (.375 H&H handload at 2480 fps) come completely unglued on a Gemsbok I shot at about 80 yards. We chased that Gemsbok for about two miles before putting him down. The recovered bullet looked like shrapnel. I learned my lesson on that one and used Woodleigh RN bullets on my next two trips in 2002 and 2005. (Used the .30-06 220 gr RN in 2002, and the 8x57 JS 220 gr RN and 9.3x62 286 gr RN in 2005.)

Like back in the good old days, plain cup and core bullets work most of the time. A lot of game has been taken with such bullets back in the 1920s-1960s. However, I think there are better bullets to choose from nowadays.

My two cents......
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What is the prevailing opinion on the Hornady 300 grain FMJ for the 375 H&H?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Ill let you know Frank,in about 3 weeks sofa

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
On the 300 FMJ, It has been the most accurate bullet in my Sako Safari .375 H&H. Never used it on game, as the Trophy Bonded and the Swifts A-Frame are generally a better choice IMHO. They are fun on some of the smaller local Oaks though!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
What is the prevailing opinion on the Hornady 300 grain FMJ for the 375 H&H?

I have some Remington .375 bullets that were apparently made by Hornady for Rem...they're 300 grain FMJ and they're magnetic. I wonder if they would be up to a buffalo at ~2400 fps?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is the African forum, however, I have recently returned from Prince of Wales Island, Alaska, after a DIY black bear hunt. I had some Hornady 300 gr soft points that left from a box of practice loads I'm using in my Model 70 .375. They are a serious looking bullet and I get 2+" groups at 200 yards with them. Velocity is 2400 fps plus some change. I put two rounds into a large blackie. The first, through the scapula with complete penetration. The second was behind the shoulder and I found it on the offside back rib. I weighed it when I got home and it weighed 240 grains. The bullet had lost almost a third of its mass, but dead bear. I intend to use Swift A-frames in Tanzania in December, but I think this bullet will kill anything in Montana or Wyoming, and they're about $19.00 a box of 50.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Harry (a.k.a. Mims) was nice enough to see that I got the .375 caliber bullet stash of the late George Hoffman. The majority of them were the "old style" Hornady solids and softs. Lots of African animals have since been converted to protein without a hint of failure from both a custom CZ and a Cogswell & Harrison .375 Flanged.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Judge, I am seriousily worried about you now that I know you "know" Harry... Ask him about the time he trippled on the elusive Eastern Woodchuck.

LOL

Best
Dave

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote