New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any good animal charities
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This will see like an odd place to ask this so the mods can move if they want.

Background: I was speaking to a PHD republican that had fallen victim to the Humanse Society's in the arms of the angels fund drives to save mistreated and abused pets. Y'uns know the commercials .

When I challenged the Humans Society' s model. She asked me if she knew of an organization she could donate to instead that would benefit mistreated or abused pets?

I do not know any. She was an anti hunter who I have converted to a non hunting hunting supporter. She often eats game at my table from turkey, deer, elk, and black bear now.

Can anyone provide me with organizations that she could focus her charity to instead of Humane Society that I can give her?

Thank you, kindly

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
World Wildlife Fund . . . they at least acknowledge that hunting can be an appropriate wildlife management tool.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
They don't do things for mistreated or abused pets but, the California Waterfowl Association is 4 star rated by Charity Navigator and the only conservation charity to achieve a 100% rating. I serve on the Board of Directors and can attest to the fantastic work they do as the state equivalent to Ducks Unlimited. We serve 20,000 members.

I know she is looking for a pets charity but perhaps she'd have interest in the good work CWA does. www.calwaterfowl.org

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Supporting local, city/county animal shelters are a good start.

Even though they have literature about HSUS on their premises, they get no funding in any way from HSUS.

Also she can check around for local "No-Kill" shelters for both dogs and cats and check with her local Game & Fish Departments to see if there are any wildlife rehabilitators in her area that she could donate time or money to.

Wildlife Rehabilitators are always in need of help of some kind, physical labor/funding/supplies.

There are lots of avenues open for interested and willing folks that actually need such help.

HSUS/ASPCA and PETA are not among them.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they feel about hunting, I assume they don't like it but the American Humane Society (AHS) is the one that takes care of pets.

They often clash with HSUS and tried to sue them a few years back over the misleading commercials on TV because they steal money from unknowing people who think they are donating to AHS.

HSUS doesn't do anything but spread misinformation and in fact are against pet ownership of any kind. They run no shelters and generally don't do anything useful.

I guess the best option as suggested would be to contact a local shelter and support them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to donate to an organization that actually does something for unwanted and abused pets, donate directly to your local animal shelter. They do not receive any help at all from the national organizations like HSUS/PETA. If you are truly looking for an organization that needs help, try this one:
http://www.cvas-pets.org
My wife is a member of the board of directors. They are neither pro nor anti hunting, and focus only on the animals whose care they must provide. This shelter is not well funded, as it is not in a wealthy area. If you wish more information, PM me. I will get back to you when I can.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I will give them all these names.

Our county and the next two beside us do not have local shelters.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
There is a Paws in the City in Dallas, but I think it's actually a nationwide network.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Ivan Carter Wildlife Conservation Alliance.

It is a 501(c)3 organization. It is supporting 6 projects, all in Africa. For example, one of those projects is the Lwiro chimpanzee sanctuary.

Lwiro nurses orphaned chimps back to health among other things. These chimps are usually orphaned because the rest of their family has been killed so the babies can be capture and sold as pets.

In the spirit if full disclosure, I am on the board.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is a good one on an International scale.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if the organization is wildlife conservation orientated in true form, similar to Ivan Carter's project would it make sense to contribute.

Most, if not all, are simply a hole in the bucket opportunists looking for personal gain and very likely to be anti-hunting anyway.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chengeta Wildlife to fund Rory Young's work.