New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Variation on Shooting Sticks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Very, very steady and especially useful from the sitting position as wrapping the tubing over and around the rifle allows the rifle to stay in place while using binoculars or a rangefinder. It would also be a great way to steady a rifle in a leopard blind.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
seems too complicated to get on quickly. Just my opinion.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work just like any other sticks if in a hurry ---- the PH's I've had in Zimbabwe used 2 sticks to make a bipod while the ones I've seen (in pics) from Tanzania tend toward the 3-stick tripod system.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend this sort of arrangement since it puts pressure on the barrel that may vary from shot to shot. It's particularly a problem for floated barrels.

FWIW,
Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can squeeze the barrel and stock and feel movement you've done something wrong and remember this is just surgical tubing and trust me on this one, any variation caused by the tubing would be hidden within your aiming errors.

The purpose of this is simply to keep the rifle from moving easily while in the sticks....it's cheap enough to try and you might be suprised to "discover" something new.

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I do like the attitude of encouraging the willingness to try a different approach and "discover" something new. I did a similar experiment on a benchrest set-up. When shooting a floated barrel rifle, any sort of pressure on the top of the barrel changed the POI and it was inconsistent. I will admit that the pressure being applied to the barrel was likely higher than what you might get out of surgical tubing.

When I shoot off of sticks, I use my left hand to hold the sticks while simultaneously gripping my front sling/swivel. This "locks" the front of my rifle into the sticks without disturbing the barrel. I am not saying there are no other ways, it is what I found that works for me.

Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote