New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if you can solvents in luggage? Maybe eezox, some of the other, less petrochemical ones? I'd prefer to use a cleaning agent I'm familiar with. I have no intention of having someone else clean my gun, just a personal thing, if something goes wrong with it(broken spring not caught, etc.), it should be my responsibility, not someone else's.

Not that I've ever had a problem/have any reason to suspect one, but it makes me feel better to go over my guns while cleaning (habit from shooting IDPA, I guess, where things do go wrong with my guns on occasion... mainly from springs... actually, most of my life involves springs and threaded objects going wrong...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about liquid solvents or aerosols in luggage. Must admit that I just run some Breakfree or the like (bought in the RSA) through mine and wipe them down, and then fully clean when back home. If solvents prove to be a problem, you might just wet one of those bore snakes with Breakfree or what you prefer and drop it in a ziplock in your guncase/luggage before return.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. No flamable liquids. They made me throw out my gun oil and Hoppes #9 at the Harrisburg PA airport. The rest of the cleaning kit was OK. I'm sure that made our flight a whole lot safer from terroristas.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I had an aerosol can of bug repellent that went in my luggage all the way to South Africa. On my way back in Joberg, I was told it was dangerous and they didn't let me bring it back.

If you clean your gun well before you go, you would have to do a LOT of shooting before the gun would really need a cleaning.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pre-wet some patches with Hoppes #9 before I go and put them in used plastic 35mm film cans. I then put these, a silicone impregnated rag, and a dleaning rod in a ziploc bag.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I just put a couple of links on Topic "Recipe for an AD" for two great cleaning and rust prevention products not common to most shooters but very avalible.

Semper Fi

Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry those individual sealed gun wipes in the foil bags. Also I carry an old wash cloth with a liberal amount of RIG on it in a zip lock bag. If you need to clean your bore, just cut a small square of one of the wipes and run it through. I use a paint brush to get the dust off then wipe with the RIG cloth every night. Never had a problem. My last flight I had to pitch anything aerosol including deoderant.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bore snake they use on shotguns will fit nicely in some rifles...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
How often do you need to clean your firearms on an average safari?

Perhaps you could just use a little oil and a patch to keep things clean?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is how I do it.

I arrive in Dallas from India and take my gun to the range. (It was cleaned the previous year when I finished sighting it in.) I clean it after I'm satisfied at the range, and am ready to fly to Africa.

I fired two shots at a box once I got to the Matetsi (Zimbabwe) so the PH would have a level of comfort. Days later I shot a buffalo and a warthog. After a ten day stay I flew back to Dallas. I cleaned the gun when I arrived and stored the weapon.

I don't obsess over these type issues.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote