New
Find
Notify
Tools

lighted reticles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are scopes with lighted reticles legal for hunting in namibia, RSA,and Zimbabwe? soething just arroused my curiosity. Thanks gents Luke

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just took them to Namibia. No problem.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Fine in Zimbabwe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No issues in RSA or Zim. Done both.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
The crew is spot on today.

Only suggestion is to take a back up battery, just in case the one in your scope dies. Leave it in the original package, as i have had my spare batteries looked at that i bring along for my flashlight. If not in the original package i tape them together so that they are not loose.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes to the extra battery for sure. I always put a brand new battery in my scope just before I leave and then take an extra. Big Grin Also, if you have a scope like a Swarovksi, please make sure that you also pack their small disk needed for taking caps off for scope adjustments. I failed to do that one year and had to try and find and use a substitute. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all who responded. Good to know indeed. Cheers Luke

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surely someone should disagree with such gimmicks,My flashlight goes dead at the last minute,why wouldn't such a sight fail?? shocker

I still like iron sights and 3X Leupolds, its a curmudgeon thinge, and I despise black rifles in the hunting fields..Im sot in my ways, but to each his own, if its legal have at it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Trijicon. Lighted reticle with no batteries. Been to Zim and RSA with them numerous times.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,

That works, however sitting in a blind waiting on a bush pig at midnight the lighted reticle was doing the trick.

Until that trip and hunting bush-pigs i never had a scope with a lighted reticle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Hi Todd,

That works, however sitting in a blind waiting on a bush pig at midnight the lighted reticle was doing the trick.

Until that trip and hunting bush-pigs i never had a scope with a lighted reticle.

Trijicons have dual illumination. Fiber optic to light the reticle from any ambient light but in total darkness, it has a Tritium chip that provides illumination. Again, no batteries required, even in total darkness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Surely someone should disagree with such gimmicks,My flashlight goes dead at the last minute,why wouldn't such a sight fail?? shocker

I still like iron sights and 3X Leupolds, its a curmudgeon thinge, and I despise black rifles in the hunting fields..Im sot in my ways, but to each his own, if its legal have at it..

Ray if your leopard shows up at dusk you will be happy that you have an illuminated reticle

If it fails, you still have your black reticle

Posts: 195 | Registered: 03 September 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Trijicon. Lighted reticle with no batteries. Been to Zim and RSA with them numerous times.

tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Todd. Trijicon all way. Screw the batteries.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Trijicon on my 375 this year getting ready for my cat hunt in July, went on two safaris and was extremely pleased. Made it easier and quicker to get on target and I was more accurate. Mine has the lighted post. Wished I’d had that good advice years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the post, would it get in the way if you had to hold over on long shots? I've never looked through that type of reticle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lpankratz:
With the post, would it get in the way if you had to hold over on long shots? I've never looked through that type of reticle
. No, it has a fine point on the top , where that point is is where you aim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Woodward:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Ray if your leopard shows up at dusk you will be happy that you have an illuminated reticle

If it fails, you still have your black reticle

And the crosshairs on my 3-9x40 trijicon are nice and thick. Great reticle.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Going back to the opening post - why would they not be legal ?

Do not know of any country where they are not legal.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im thinking a few Leopards have been killed at dusk with no lighted reticle and a number with iron sigts...toys for boys are popular these days but then you have to take into consideration the the difference between men and boys is the cost of mens toys! I don't need nor want something else to break or go bad.

I do have that option, 3X Leupold and a 9,3x62 with a dose of H414 with a 250 Barnes at 2650 fps or a 286 gr at 2500 fps has been my DG rifle, on more than a few times..and I respect anyones choice if legal..and on a couple of ocasssions I opted for a 320 woodleigh at 2350 fps, all worked, I have an afection for the 3X, 4x,Leupold and the 2.5X Leupold Alaskan, day or night..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote