New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on pricing stock work
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a couple of guns stolen recently, and I'm getting pushback from the insurance company about the price I put on it. Bear in mind that I have replacement cost insurance, not what it's "worth," but what it would cost to replace it.

The gun was a pre-64 (mid-50s) M70 Featherweight 270, with a nice custom stock in A-AA grade Claro, with a Leupold 2-7 Vari-X II.

I put $2000 for the replacement cost. Can anyone provide cost estimates for having a stock like I mentioned made? It wasn't fancy, just a nice stock with good checkering. I know some stockmakers get $2500+ for one, but I need an "average" cost.

Any links would be helpful, for documenting my claim, or quotes from reputable stockmakers.

Thanks a lot...we finally have a chance to use this forum to protect the "average Joe" from the powers that be.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not going with a world class stockmaker, here are some typical costs for the neighborhood gunsmith:

rough duplicating $130
inlet and finish $400
glass bed $50
grip cap $75
recoil pad $50
basic checkering $300

plus cost of the blank

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like about $1000 for the work, and I've seen some blanks that are pretty nice for around $300, plus $800 for the rifle. That's $2100. Is that about right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
forend tip: $75

Increase the total by $3000 to $???? for a first class stockmaker to do it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the estimates...does anybody have something more substantial? Unfortunately, just typing a price on a message board doesn't provide much ammo against an insurance adjuster.

Does anyone have links to gunsmith's website with prices?

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You should post this in the "Gunsmithing" forum further down the list. There are a few stock makers who hang out there and could help you out better,

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go to Hallowell and Co and get some of their prices. You're not too far from Terrell, perhaps Hershell Chadick can help you out. Your Value of $2000 is cheap IMO for REPLACEMENT costs, meaning going out and recreating the rifle from the action out, so to speak.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any contact info for those folks?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, good news! I provided about 15 links to gunbroker and Gunsamerica rifles that are similar to mine, and they agreed that my price was fair.

I could have claimed more for the custom stock, but it wasn't made by a "name" maker, and it didn't have any embellishments, except plain old checkering.

BTW, I listed the scope seperately.

Thanks for the help!