Find
Notify
Tools

Spare parts on an African Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
A few days ago, during a rapid fire drill with my Model 70 in .375 H&H, I had a failure to feed with presentation of the cartridge at an angle. Took the thing apart and found a badly bent magazine follower spring. I now know of least one spare to bring with me on my next hunt. What other spares should I take for a Model 70?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about the only things I'd worry about taking would be some xtra scope mount screws & a screwdriver to fit

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I stopped taking spares, and just take 2 identical rifles.

Never had fix anything on all my hunts so far.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wink,

Here is a link to a thread I started on this topic some time back. Hope you find this helpful.

Spare Parts on Safari

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Saeed, nothing like NASA style redunduncy when logistics is not an issue. I was hoping to provoke some experienced opinions on the order of: firing pin and firing pin spring, a couple of specific screws and maybe a tool or two that we usually don't think about until faced with the problem. All fitting in a zip-lock bag and providing you with the same insurance as taking a second rifle. A kind of cost effective approach if you see what I mean.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only take scope replacements. That means an extra scope for each rifle, and an extra set of rings,bases and all associated screws.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I leave, I give my rifle a thorough inspection and replace anything that seems to need it (and nothing ever has). I have a spare scope that I take, and that's it except for normal cleaning gear.

The only parts failure I ever had in the hunting field, anywhere, was a bolt stop in a Rem 721 that quit working. It didn't hold up the hunt.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Wink,

With a well sorted out rifle most of these failures seem to occur early on. I have not broken anything in Africa, but I have broken stuff during hunt preparations or after getting a new rifle to use.

A spare scope in rings could be really useful.

I usually bring a big Swiss Army knife and a Gerber tool. So far they have sufficed.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Won't most PH's rent you a rifle if you get really stuck? That's what I would do. It's usually peanuts compared to a daily fee.

I want to hunt as much as possible over there. I will spend time fixing the gun at home.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it still true that some countries don't allow you to bring in two similar rifles???...chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by csutton7:
Is it still true that some countries don't allow you to bring in two similar rifles???...chris

South Africa does not allow the temporary import of two rifles of the same caliber.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only spare part I ever needed was an extra left knee.

Didn't pack an extra so I had to make do with the pathetically broken down, crunchy and aching one God gave me and the eland left me with.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
MRLEXMA, I feel for you. On my hunt in SA a couple of years ago I suffered from severe tendinitis in my left knee and hopping out of the pick-up was a real killer. I have never had any problems with my rifles on a hunt, but putting to the test my rifles at the range in some rapid fire drills that were inspired by a previous thread brought out some deficiencies in the rifles (and the shooter). I have followed up on some of the suggestions made and thank you all once again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no way to guess what will go wrong, you can carry all the spare parts you want but when it breaks you won't have the right one...

My advise, carry an extra rifle complete with scope...If you don't learn this from the get go, you will sooner or later...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Take two rifles. This is the best of all worlds. This next plains game safari I will be taking a 35 Whelen and the second rifle will either be a 7mm Mag or '06.

I believe it is sensible to consider some very basic tools, proper wrench or screwdriver for your scope rings, sectional cleaning rod, gun oil, screwdriver for action screws. All this stuff can fit in a small zip lock bag.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote